Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

This is an excellent listen. It is about an hour long but he talks about Power, Rosen, talks about wanting to draft MacAvoy. A lot of insight about scouting.

He said he will come on in the summer to talk about the upcoming draft.

Makes you really wonder what the scouts saw in Nylander to take him above Sergachev and McAvoy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/12/2022 at 9:19 AM, sabremike said:

Quinn only at #8 is pretty ridiculous. Guy is scoring goals at a historic clip in the AHL for his age level and was only slowed down by mono and is now seemingly back to scoring at least a goal per game.

Ridiculous? The 7 players ahead of him are all pretty darn good in terms of prospects. There's a few lower down I'd question but the top 10 is pretty accurate imo. Nothing wrong with having #1 and #8.

37 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Whatever happened to Brett Murray ?  He seemed like he was going to make a huge step forward but now barely makes an impact on the Amerks 

It’s been an under the radar story.  It feels like he’s really fallen out of favor in the org. Not sure if his foot speed just isn’t gonna cut it for Donnie’s uptempo style. Clearly, he’s not in their future plans. I suppose with Krebs, Quinn, Peterka along with Olofsson and Tuch already in the fold the spots for wingers diminish quickly. 

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

It’s been an under the radar story.  It feels like he’s really fallen out of favor in the org. Not sure if his foot speed just isn’t gonna cut it for Donnie’s uptempo style. Clearly, he’s not in their future plans. I suppose with Krebs, Quinn, Peterka along with Olofsson and Tuch already in the fold the spots for wingers diminish quickly. 

A play last night really stuck out to me, he would  have had a free path to the net but the Dman caught him from behind.  Think it was in the 3rd. 

man needs to find a way back to his office in front of the net and start causing havoc 

13 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

This is an excellent listen. It is about an hour long but he talks about Power, Rosen, talks about wanting to draft MacAvoy. A lot of insight about scouting.

He said he will come on in the summer to talk about the upcoming draft.

The McAvoy part was great.

For those not listening, Duff and Biron asked him about his biggest regret at the draft table. Forton was a Sabres college scout during that draft who absolutely loved McAvoy, who the industry had pegged as a mid-1st player.

He implies the sabres weren't really considering him in the 5-10 range and he really regrets not pushing harder for him at 8. He also says the team lacked cross-league scouts to compare players in different leagues. He also implies that the current regime has made changes to the way it does its business in order to empower the local scouts to speak up and to better compare players at different levels.

He said he passed McAvoy on the concourse on draft day as he was heading up to the Bruins box and McAvoy said "Jerry, I really thought you guys were going to take me." Forton said he felt sick to his stomach.

Forton comes across well. Looking forward to his preview of the coming draft.

• Like (+1) 6

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Whatever happened to Brett Murray ?  He seemed like he was going to make a huge step forward but now barely makes an impact on the Amerks 

21 minutes ago, inkman said:

Adams and Granato haven't been shy about saying this season is about evaluating which "older developing players" they will be moving forward with.

I'd say Murray, along with Ruotsalainen and Anders Bjork, failed their evaluation.

Pretty sure Tage, Samuelsson, Jokiharju and Dahlin passed with flying colours.

I'm not entirely sure where they are going to go with Mitts, VO, Asplund, Bryson, Fitzpatrick and UPL.

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

For those not listening, Duff and Biron asked him about his biggest regret at the draft table. Forton was a Sabres college scout during that draft who absolutely loved McAvoy, who the industry had pegged as a mid-1st player.

He implies the sabres weren't really considering him in the 5-10 range and he really regrets not pushing harder for him at 8. He also says the team lacked cross-league scouts to compare players in different leagues. He also implies that the current regime has made changes to the way it does its business in order to empower the local scouts to speak up and to better compare players at different levels.

He said he passed McAvoy on the concourse on draft day as he was heading up to the Bruins box and McAvoy said "Jerry, I really thought you guys were going to take me." Forton said he felt sick to his stomach.

Sigh

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’d like to know who was pounding the table for Nylander and if he still has a job…. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Hindsight is 20-20 of course.  If I'm not mistaken, we had some older and acquired guys as part of the D-corp including Gorges, Franson, maybe Pysyk/Kulikov in addition to Risto, McCabe and BOGO.  I can only guess the mgmt thought defense was covered and wanted to add more offense I guess.  Nylander had a decent world juniors that year (maybe)?

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

Hindsight is 20-20 of course.  If I'm not mistaken, we had some older and acquired guys as part of the D-corp including Gorges, Franson, maybe Pysyk/Kulikov in addition to Risto, McCabe and BOGO.  I can only guess the mgmt thought defense was covered and wanted to add more offense I guess.  Nylander had a decent world juniors that year (maybe)?

No suggestion of that in the interview.

The implication I took out of it was that the organization as a whole did not like McAvoy enough to invest #8 in him.

Forton does mention discussion of trading down and taking him.

22 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Hard to find 5 players I'd take before McAvoy.

They just had to have the other brother, ugh. 

23 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

That year had a lot going on. The draft was in Buffalo. Murray wanted a young skilled winger for Eichel. The Pegulas and Chychruns were neighbors in Florida. Alot of fans were on the Sergachev bandwagon. I know they interviewed MacAvoy a lot, maybe 3 times.

Hindsight is 20/20. The organization is in a lot better spot now with the front office, scouting, development, etc.

On 4/14/2022 at 12:03 PM, dudacek said:

Adams and Granato haven't been shy about saying this season is about evaluating which "older developing players" they will be moving forward with.

I'd say Murray, along with Ruotsalainen and Anders Bjork, failed their evaluation.

Pretty sure Tage, Samuelsson, Jokiharju and Dahlin passed with flying colours.

I'm not entirely sure where they are going to go with Mitts, VO, Asplund, Bryson, Fitzpatrick and UPL.

I think these are two different groups.  Mitts and VO have passed their evaluations with their play since the calendar turned to March and they got healthy. Bryson has also passed and I can see him being re-signed to a 3 year extension.  Asplund, Fitz and UPL are a different story.  Quinn and JJP are pushing Asplund down the lineup and maybe out.  Fitz is Rory Fitzpatrick 2.0 and UPL has next year to prove he belongs.  Otherwise, he will be replaced.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

On 4/14/2022 at 11:54 AM, dudacek said:

So wish we drafted McAvoy 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/14/2022 at 1:12 PM, Carmel Corn said:

Just another example of why organizations should always draft bpa.  Nobody knows where the organization will be in 3-5 years when they’re ready to make the team.

18 hours ago, Derrico said:

Just another example of why organizations should always draft bpa.  Nobody knows where the organization will be in 3-5 years when they’re ready to make the team.

I agree overall about BPA but you have to keep in mind a lot of times they have several players closely ranked and the choice as to which one is "better" isn't obvious or clear so when that happens maybe you pick the need from that closely rated group. McAvoy was my choice, but a lot of teams didn't think so, not just us. We of course blew it royally and ironically Tage was 26th in that draft and now would be top 10 if not higher. Who knew?

Just now, elijah said:

How do we feel about Isak Rosen? 

Not very familiar with his development/the leagues he’s in/how his stats are vs what they should be 

Sabrespace feels worried about his numbers, his size and where he played this year.

Sabrespace also knows he was a long-term project given his physical immaturity and is willing to give the current regime the benefit of the doubt this early.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.