Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

28 minutes ago, Two or less said:

I wonder if the Sabres will be after Strauss Mann after the Olympics? They must know him pretty well from being in Michigan so often last year for Portillo. Mann was an excellent goalie in college and has had a lot of success overseas in Sweden.

I'm not seeing a huge need — or room — for another goalie prospect in his early 20s fighting for ice time with UPL, Levi and Portillo. An 18-year-old or a guy who might be able to play in the NHL now, sure.

6 hours ago, Curt said:

Pure speculation, but could be related to allegations that the UM team falsified Covid contact tracing information.

Coach gave his job away. Articles with quotes from the coach were it was time to see what Portillo could do. 

The allegations you refer to could be why Portillo signs with the Sabres after this season before sanctions kick in.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, the most precious asset a team can have is a franchise top C, but…

The 2nd most precious is a franchise defenseman, so Power or Dahlin would be the logical choice.

But if you don’t think either of them will quite reach “superstar NHL player” status, but you think Quinn or one of the goalies will, then you’ve gotta take that guy.

I think the jury is still out on Dahlin, and that’s clearly the case on Power, so again it only makes sense to take one of the other guys if you feel in your bones that he’s gonna be an all-time Sabre great.

Then you also have to consider whether we’re talking about a fantasy draft, where the guy you really want might be available in the second round, or whether you’re only getting one bite at the apple.

If there’s only one bite at the apple, I’ll take Levi.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Well, the most precious asset a team can have is a franchise top C, but…

The 2nd most precious is a franchise defenseman, so Power or Dahlin would be the logical choice.

But if you don’t think either of them will quite reach “superstar NHL player” status, but you think Quinn or one of the goalies will, then you’ve gotta take that guy.

I think the jury is still out on Dahlin, and that’s clearly the case on Power, so again it only makes sense to take one of the other guys if you feel in your bones that he’s gonna be an all-time Sabre great.

Then you also have to consider whether we’re talking about a fantasy draft, where the guy you really want might be available in the second round, or whether you’re only getting one bite at the apple.

If there’s only one bite at the apple, I’ll take Levi.

I think both Power and Dahlin become great, but Power  does it a younger age than Dahlin. 

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

Who wants to roll the dice with Levi for this pick?

Goalies are too hard to predict. Any of the 3 could be the best. 

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Might not want to trade for Faber currently

I have watched Minnesota games this season. I was shocked earlier when some people were posting that Johnson and a pick wouldn’t get Faber. To me it would be the other way around. 

I would only trade Johnson for someone like Schneider from the Rags who checks every box for the Sabres needs: big, physical, good skater who is strong at both ends of the ice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

What do you mean?

I think he'll be the one hopping over the boards when you need a stop.

A sturdy shut down type in his own zone. 

Now, his partner? He's not on this current Sabres team imo.

Edited by Norcal

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

I think he'll be the one hopping over the boards when you need a stop.

A sturdy shut down type in his own zone. 

Now, his partner? He's not on this current Sabres team imo.

Don't think we know what Power will be yet. Samuelsson has 3 years dev on him so we'll have to wait and see. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.