Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Fun exercise, but dangerous projecting prospect success so far out, as you know.  Good thing is that majority of these prospects are showing continued positive development and excelling right now.  Also, there are a fair number not included in your lineup (R2, Murray, Weissbach, Kisakov, Nadeau, Bloom, Costantini, Bryson, Novikov) who are doing well and could make a leap.

In addition to that, the 3 upcoming 1st round picks, but also its 8 total picks in 1st+2nd round over the next 2 drafts.

For sure - I had highlighted a few of those other guys, and the first round pick situation in my thinger cause ya definitely worth pointing out. 

Mostly it is all just dangerous like you said. Mostly just wanted a lay-out for my own brain, looked clear enough to post. 

19 hours ago, Thorny said:

On another note, we have 17 picks in the next two drafts, up from the usual 14. Which amounts to basically two extra firsts and an extra second. I don't expect Adams to trade away any of the higher picks (like we saw Murray do) and I don't expect him to trade away close to the raw amount Botterill did, but I won't be surprised if we deal a couple mid-to-lower picks and don't think people need to freak out if we do, thinking he's trying to pull a "Murray speed up" or whatever. It's normal to use some as currency and I don't know that Adams is going to use *every* pick and make every selection considering the raw total of players in the system already. 

By the way we have seen this script before in 2015.  Hopefully we have learned our lesson.  Hopefully. This time however we at least have some better prospects in the system.

26 minutes ago, inkman said:

There is a ton of info available for you to consume. Feel free to access it. 

I’ll go out on a limb here, but I think he meant he wants to enjoy a live hockey game watching future Sabres rather than watching highlights on Twitter from his bedroom. 

I’m going to assume the Sabres pick top 10 again this year because roster.

That means that by next summer we should have, developing in the system, 18 Top 40 picks, 6 of them in the top 10

• 1) Owen Power
  • 1) Rasmus Dahlin
  • 7) Dylan Cozens
  • 8 Jack Quinn
  • 8 Casey Mittelstadt
  • ?) 2022 Sabres 1st pick
  • 14) Isak Rosen
  • 17) Peyton Krebs
  • 26) Tage Thompson
  • 29) Henri Jokiharju
  • 31) Ryan Johnson
  • ?) 2022 Panthers 1st
  • ?) 2022 Knights 1st
  • 32) Matthias Samuelsson 
  • 33) Prokhor Poltapov
  • 33) Rasmus Asplund
  • 34) JJ Peterka
  • ?) Sabres 2022 2nd

You can add to that mix two more later 2nd rounders - Kisakov and Lukkonen - and the 3 2nd-rounders we own in 2023.

It’s interesting to compare that to where Murray was sitting 7 years ago, anticipating 14 top 40 picks developing in the system, 3 of them in the top 10

• 2) Sam Reinhart
  • 8 Rasmus Ristolainen
  • ?) Sabres 2015 first
  • 12) Mikhail Grigorenko
  • 14) Zemgus Girgensons
  • 16) Nikita Zadorov
  • 16) Joel Armia
  • 23) Mark Pysyk
  • ?) Islanders 2015 1st
  • ?) Blues 2015 1st
  • 31) Brendan Lemieux
  • 35) JT Compher
  • 38) Conner Hurley
  • ?) Sabres 2015 2nd

You can add into that mix 5 more later 2nds - Cornel, Karabacek, Bailey, Larsson and McCabe - and the Islanders 2015 2nd, and the 2 2nd rounders we owned in 2016.

Edited by dudacek

The sad part is how little any of the guys besides Jack and Sam from the above list made in the NHL.  If they made it at all, most are depth players or worse.

2) Sam Reinhart - 1st line player

8 Rasmus Ristolainen - 2nd pairing player

?) Sabres 2015 first - Eichel - 1st line player

12) Mikhail Grigorenko - bust

14) Zemgus Girgensons - bottom 6 forward

16) Nikita Zadorov - 3rd pairing D

16) Joel Armia - 3rd line forward

23) Mark Pysyk - 3rd pairing D

?) Islanders 2015 1st (21st overall - Colin White - 3rd line forward but pick was traded)

?) Blues 2015 1st (25th overall - Roslovic - 3rd line forward but pick was traded)

31) Brendan Lemieux - 4th line forward

35) JT Compher - 3rd line forward

38) Conner Hurley - bust 

?) Sabres 2015 2nd (31 st overall - Jeremy Roy - Bust and pick was traded)

One of the reasons our rebuild failed was how little we actually received in real talent from so many picks under TM.  Outside of Olofsson and Ullmark, none of the later picks developed into anything and the 2 that did developed so late that the rebuild had already crumbledd

Hopefully this group will develop faster, better and in more of one wave.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The sad part is how little any of the guys besides Jack and Sam from the above list made in the NHL.  If they made it at all, most are depth players or worse.

2) Sam Reinhart - 1st line player

8 Rasmus Ristolainen - 2nd pairing player

?) Sabres 2015 first - Eichel - 1st line player

12) Mikhail Grigorenko - bust

14) Zemgus Girgensons - bottom 6 forward

16) Nikita Zadorov - 3rd pairing D

16) Joel Armia - 3rd line forward

23) Mark Pysyk - 3rd pairing D

?) Islanders 2015 1st (21st overall - Colin White - 3rd line forward but pick was traded)

?) Blues 2015 1st (25th overall - Roslovic - 3rd line forward but pick was traded)

31) Brendan Lemieux - 4th line forward

35) JT Compher - 3rd line forward

38) Conner Hurley - bust 

?) Sabres 2015 2nd (31 st overall - Jeremy Roy - Bust and pick was traded)

One of the reasons our rebuild failed was how little we actually received in real talent from so many picks under TM.  Outside of Olofsson and Ullmark, none of the later picks developed into anything and the 2 that did developed so late that the rebuild had already crumbledd

Hopefully this group will develop faster, better and in more of one wave.

If you keep those guys instead of trading them all you end up with ...

Two first line forwards

Six bottom six forwards

Three second or third-pairing defensemen

That's a pretty good base to build with. Maybe they should keep the kids this time.

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If you keep those guys instead of trading them all you end up with ...

Two first line forwards

Six bottom six forwards

Three second or third-pairing defensemen

That's a pretty good base to build with. Maybe they should keep the kids this time.

Not really.  No scoring depth and no top line D.  It would be better then what we ended up with but not much.  It wouldn’t have mattered even had we kept the kids.  TM had no idea how to fill the holes and didn’t have the patiences to see it through.

48 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not really.  No scoring depth and no top line D.  It would be better then what we ended up with but not much.  It wouldn’t have mattered even had we kept the kids.  TM had no idea how to fill the holes and didn’t have the patiences to see it through.

That’s why I said base. That’s clearly not the entire team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

We did have at least 1 tankfruit that wouldn’t accept that leadership.  I don’t think that is debatable anymore.

That’s why in a proper rebuild you don’t begin by bringing in malcontents like Kane, Lehner, COR and ROR when you are trying to build something.  You draft your kids (don’t trade the picks) and you try to surround them with quality professionals and people (like, Gionta, KO or Pominville) to teach them the work they need to succeed.  You need to make sure they are only getting a positive message.  I also don’t think DB and TM were delivering the right message either.

Only Reinhart seemed to rise above it and that could because he always knew what to do coming from a pro hockey family.  

It would also help if any of our GMs and coaches, including the current guys had a clue about roster construction, building real depth and line pairings. That would to much to ask I understand.  I’m still waiting for a proper partner for Dahlin.

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s why in a proper rebuild you don’t begin by bringing in malcontents like Kane, Lehner, COR and ROR when you are trying to build something.  You draft your kids (don’t trade the picks) and you try to surround them with quality professionals and people (like, Gionta, KO or Pominville) to teach them the work they need to succeed.  You need to make sure they are only getting a positive message.  I also don’t think DB and TM were delivering the right message either.

Only Reinhart seemed to rise above it and that could because he always knew what to do coming from a pro hockey family.  

It would also help if any of our GMs and coaches, including the current guys had a clue about roster construction, building real depth and line pairings. That would to much to ask I understand.  I’m still waiting for a proper partner for Dahlin.

Including ROR in there as a malcontent is so odd. He is currently the captain of the Blues, won the Hart, and was known during his time here to run extra practices. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.