KA on FA, 7/24 presser: We don't want to "box out" our young core

PASabreFan

Kevyn was asked how active he'd be in free agency. His body language was telling. You could tell he's not going to be too active in free agency, at least in the sense of going for prime time players ("active's an interesting word"). He answered by saying they'll try to sign players to "put the right pieces around a young core," but he made it clear he doesn't want to box youngsters like Cozens and Mittlestadt out of "crucial situations." He said that's how you learn, by being out there late in a game down a goal or up a goal, for example.

Thorny, and others, I'm sorry. The keys are being handed to those who haven't been on the real road for very long.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm still going to hold out hope that an Eichel trade will be with Minnesota and it'll be futures/prospects plus Marcus Foligno, and then we will sign his brother as an FA and boom a C and an A, not central roles but important to teach leadership and team attitude, not going to "box out" anyone (at least not anyone on this team) but necessary for the team to grow. 

If we don't, and we do trade Eichel, who's even going to wear the C? There's no one. 

I've heard the comparisons to Ottawa, that we can be next year's "them". 

I mean, ya. Senators had what, 51 in 56 last season? 75 point pace. I believe the Sabres played at a 54 point pace over 82.  Adams looking to unlock a 21 point improvement? Sign me up right now for that! But you gotta spot me your best player from last year, and the d-man who played more minutes than anyone else.

I'm honestly eager to see how Adams pulls off that little switcheroo. I'll happily take that result if the plan for capable vet supplement is on the severe back burner. 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I've heard the comparisons to Ottawa, that we can be next year's "them". 

I mean, ya. Senators had what, 51 in 56 last season? 75 point pace. I believe the Sabres played at a 54 point pace over 82.  Adams looking to unlock a 21 point improvement? Sign me up right now for that! But you gotta spot me your best player from last year, and the d-man who played more minutes than anyone else.

I'm honestly eager to see how Adams pulls off that little switcheroo. I'll happily take that result if the plan for capable vet supplement is on the severe back burner. 

8A1D2BEE-0FEE-40D8-B7D9-BFD17C03EFF0.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

He’s rebuilding but not trying to do it the way Murray did and got us into this mess in the first place. Funny how that’s all doom and gloom and the Pegulas don’t learn 

I can’t wait to see the size of the pitchforks that come out after our star is traded.

7 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

He’s rebuilding but not trying to do it the way Murray did and got us into this mess in the first place. Funny how that’s all doom and gloom and the Pegulas don’t learn 

No, he's doing it like Botterill did, which is worse.

11 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I can’t wait to see the size of the pitchforks that come out after our star is traded.

I'm actually guessing the Reinhart reaction will be the worst of it. I think there was more of a perception we could (and, for some even, more of a willingness to?) keep Reinhart, with some even speculating the Reinhart return could be greater. More people actively think Eichel is bailing on Buffalo I think than Sam - that's my reading of it, anyways. I also think it's set in, what's happening, and there's a bit of a "get it over with" feeling. 

Edited by Thorny

28 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

It's clear that a team needs to become competitive fast or else the wheels begin to fall off an organization.  Players begin to want out, fans are disinterested or upset, and a new rebuild is necessary.

The Pegula's may have given KA 2-3 years, but I'm not sure key players and the fans will have that much patience. 

We need to be active in college free agency, european free agency, and on the waiver wire.  Show me a smart analytical approach to a rebuild.  Don't speed it up.  Be smart, stick to your ***** plan and build.  Trade for crap contracts and get picks, pull out the stops like Arizona, if that's what we're doing.  JUST STICK TO A ***** PLAN.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Kevyn was asked how active he'd be in free agency. His body language was telling. You could tell he's not going to be too active in free agency, at least in the sense of going for prime time players ("active's an interesting word"). He answered by saying they'll try to sign players to "put the right pieces around a young core," but he made it clear he doesn't want to box youngsters like Cozens and Mittlestadt out of "crucial situations." He said that's how you learn, by being out there late in a game down a goal or up a goal, for example.

Thorny, and others, I'm sorry. The keys are being handed to those who haven't been on the real road for very long.

I’m drinking the Kool-Aid. 

42 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

We have a young corps 

Better than a young corpse 

• Haha (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Rasmus_ said:

We need to be active in college free agency, european free agency, and on the waiver wire.  Show me a smart analytical approach to a rebuild.  Don't speed it up.  Be smart, stick to your ***** plan and build.  Trade for crap contracts and get picks, pull out the stops like Arizona, if that's what we're doing.  JUST STICK TO A ***** PLAN.

That may work in Arizona, where the fan base is much smaller and there are 3 other pro teams.  In Buffalo, I can't see the fans accepting another 2 seasons of bad hockey waiting for kids to develop.  

Other external factors impact the personnel side of the team and a lengthy rebuild.  One is team revenue and we're seeing that as the Pegula's lose money, they cut costs.  Ticket sales are gonna go down this season as the arena allows fans back, particularly with more losing and the departure of Jack. 

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

We have a young core??

Adams current sticky note reads like this for a few years from now:

Boldy (?) - Rossi/Wright (?) - Quinn

Peterka - Cozens - Rosen

Poltapov - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Skinner - Girgensons - Ruotsalainen

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Power - Laaksonen

Samuelsson - Miller

Levi

UPL

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I’m drinking the Kool-Aid. 

Better than a young corpse 

I set up the joke, and you almost nailed it. Decent job, Ink. 

59 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I bet jersey and merchandise sales take a big hit this year and that makes me happy.  It’s crazy to think your season is over three months before it starts.  And of all things it could be RJ’s last year.  

The team would be wise to start selling RJ jerseys, with a microphone patch where the player numbers go, but they won’t do that. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Adams current sticky note reads like this for a few years from now:

Boldy (?) - Rossi/Wright (?) - Quinn

Peterka - Cozens - Rosen

Poltapov - Mittelstadt - Thompson

Skinner - Girgensons - Ruotsalainen

Dahlin - Jokiharju

Power - Laaksonen

Samuelsson - Miller

Levi

UPL

Skinner still on the 4th line in the future, eh?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Either the Pegulas controlled Murray and control Adams, or they didn't and don't.  It's not both ways.

2 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I set up the joke, and you almost nailed it. Decent job, Ink. 

The team would be wise to start selling RJ jerseys, with a microphone patch where the player numbers go, but they won’t do that. 

Skinner still on the 4th line in the future, eh?

The one thing seemingly a constant in every timeline

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes, Cozens, Dahlin, Power, Mitts, and hopefully a couple of others emerge like Jokiharju, Samuelsson, R2, Rosen, Quinn and JJP.

The young players currently on the roster and in the short-pipeline that you list offers some hope. But the reality is that it is going to take at least another couple or few years for those players to be at a stage where this roster will be seriously competitive. What has to happen is for this regime to have the courage of its conviction to follow through with their rebuilding plan.

As you well know and have vigorously stated that it is imperative that the goaltending is upgraded so that it can undergird the rebuilding process. There are a number of roster issues that need to be addressed. And that is the most important one.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.