The Russian Are Coming! Well maybe, possibly sometime in the future and other Draft Thoughts.

GASabresIUFAN

Power, Rosen and probably a bunch of guys we’ll never see in the NHL is my reaction to this draft.  My second reaction was this is a TM draft.  High risk and low odds of actually succeeding.  My third reaction was why no centers until the 7th round?  We used 8 picks on wingers and in his 2 drafts KA has drafted 1 D, and 7 wingers in the 1st 3 rounds. 

It was interesting to see 4 Russians drafted. It also looks like international experience was a factor in our draft selections.

All in all I think we’ll look back on this draft as another missed opportunity and a self inflicted one because of our lack of scouting resources.

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Also, might I point out that although we took the top pick D man this was a draft filled with promising D and we didn't take any others. We lost 2 added 1. Supposed to be restocking the cupboard, the D prospect pool is pretty thin. 

S  Oskari Laaksonen (D)22/23 $853,333

U  Albert Lyckåsen (D)

U  Nikita V. Novikov (D)

U  Owen Power (D)

U  Lawrence Pilut (D)

U  Ryan Johnson (D)

U  Miska Kukkonen (D)

U  Linus Cronholm (D)

U  William Worge Kreü (D)

U  Philip Nyberg (D)

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Also, might I point out that although we took the top pick D man this was a draft filled with promising D and we didn't take any others. We lost 2 added 1. Supposed to be restocking the cupboard, the D prospect pool is pretty thin. 

LOL, the prospect pool is fine. We have two of the best U22 in the world plus three more guys all picked around 30th overall.

Trouble is we only have two defencemen over 22.

I did a deeper dive on the draft and while I think they reached significantly on Bloom and Sardarian, I actually think they got more talent then I had previously thought 

I really like the skill level of the two Russians in the second round.  While these guys have significant risk, their skill level is very high.  They guys on the draft coverage liked the picks.  I like Poltapov’s international experience. The panel loved Kisakov’s goal scoring ability especially at even strength.

After the 3, I think Nadeau, Marjala and Novikov look like excellent value picks.  The panel loved Nadeau’s size and willingnes to use it.  Novikov looks like another big D man who is having a solid Jr career in Russia.  

• nfreeman changed the title to The Russian Are Coming! Well maybe, possibly sometime in the future and other Draft Thoughts.
1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Another advantage of drafting this many Russians is that when they come over they can do so as a group. The culture shock can be tough on one guy but a few can support each other.

I agree. Isn’t this like an old rule or guideline?  You can’t have just one. 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m concerned about the spelling attempts I’ll see for Poltapov, Kisakov, Sardarian, Marjala, Von Barnekow, and Novikov.

I mean, a fair number of posters are still having trouble with Staal after like 15 years, so I’m worried for them.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.