Face it, the plan for next year is another tank

dudacek

16 hours ago, Thorny said:

Is that because we had more capable vet talent to ship off? Actually asking. We don't have many capable veteran players right now

Right.  The vets they do have…

Miller 

Eakin

Okposo

Girgensons?

…are somewhere between below average and I can’t believe someone is paying this guy to play hockey 

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Curt said:

I find this post to be rather disingenuous.  Surely you realize that Hall, Staal, Montour were UFAs who would not be returning for next season either way.  Yet you listed them as part of a tanking strategy.

Surely you'd think if we were doing well all but Stall would be probably coming back. Team was lost, trades were made with futures in mind. 

If it looks like a tank and smells like a tank image.thumb.png.7cf68ddcca3db5b547c21377ace57f70.png

It's a tank                 image.thumb.png.0fa150010ec43f7d095202c4361c54b5.png

Edited by jsb

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm ready for the tank  I don't think people realize how good this draft is.

The top 3 picks would be first overall pucks in their own draft .

This post makes me want to jab an ice pick up my nose.

***** any and all tanks.

***** this team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, jsb said:

Surely you'd think if we were doing well all but Stall would be probably coming back. Team was lost, trades were made with futures in mind. 

If it looks like a tank and smells like a tank image.thumb.png.7cf68ddcca3db5b547c21377ace57f70.png

It's a tank                 image.thumb.png.0fa150010ec43f7d095202c4361c54b5.png

But we weren’t doing well.....so it doesn’t really matter if they would come back if we were doing well.  We weren’t, and they wouldn’t.

Low expectations are not a bad thing for the fan base. But I don’t think things are so bad. We scored goals without Jack in line up last year. The kids stepped up and scored. The ATM line is nice. Getting Okposo back with Girgs will be another good line, put Borque with them? Then there’s still Skinner, R2 Ollie Cozens and spare parts, but not bad really. 

Lack of defensive depth could be a real killer but that can hopefully be addressed in Jack trade or free agency. 

And the goaltending...the biggest question mark. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

If you had a choice between

Crosby, mcdavid, macKinnon

Would you say screw the tank ?

You left Eichel and Reinhart off that list.

7 minutes ago, Radar said:

Does this mean you're leaving?

I am now. The Sabres already ruin my winters. I’m not going to let them ruin my summers, as well, by having to listen to plans of an upcoming tank after sucking for ten years and fans actually giddy about it. JFC!

See you at training camp.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

I am now. The Sabres already ruin my winters. I’m not going to let them ruin my summers, as well, by having to listen to plans of an upcoming tank after sucking for ten years and fans actually giddy about it. JFC!

What do you mean ? 

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Yeah, I think we all need a bit of a break. I'm 78 and over the past several years my emotional investment or passion for sports has decreased. I enjoy it and even talking about it but I take it more day to day or game to game now. See you at training camp my friend!

Ofcourse it is but you have to frame it as "developing the young core".  This team finished last OA with Eichel, Hall, Reinhart, Risto, Staal all playing some games this year.  How do you think it will go with them playing no games next year.

You are not going to ice the team they are next season and pretend to be contenders.  Their incompetence has led to this.  Does it need to happen, yes, they need to reset and start again. Does it suck, Yes, but it is what it is.

I think they will be competitive in games this season but they won't be good. But if they young guys come along developmentally then it is not a straight "Tank" season, some positives will come from it.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Ofcourse it is but you have to frame it as "developing the young core".  This team finished last OA with Eichel, Hall, Reinhart, Risto, Staal all playing some games this year.  How do you think it will go with them playing no games next year.

You are not going to ice the team they are next season and pretend to be contenders.  Their incompetence has led to this.  Does it need to happen, yes, they need to reset and start again. Does it suck, Yes, but it is what it is.

I think they will be competitive in games this season but they won't be good. But if they young guys come along developmentally then it is not a straight "Tank" season, some positives will come from it.

If those players came to the rink with crappy attitudes and didn't really care then it might surprisingly be better. Let's stop acting like we have a bunch of guys with no talent. 

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

This is probably the only thing I disagree with, It didn't have to happen. Risto, Sam and Jack are not 'Older Veterans' who needed to go for youth. They just hit reset not that long ago. The franchise needs to stop always looking to the future and start dealing in the present. Hire some coaches and front office employees with actual NHL experience and backgrounds. Use some of the prospects and picks to fill the gaps on the NHL roster to improve this team, then maybe the guys you were going to build around wouldn't be wanting out. Instead, we get more cheap inexperienced Hires and young players wanting out because they don't want to waste their prime

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

This is probably the only thing I disagree with, It didn't have to happen. Risto, Sam and Jack are not 'Older Veterans' who needed to go for youth. They just hit reset not that long ago. The franchise needs to stop always looking to the future and start dealing in the present. Hire some coaches and front office employees with actual NHL experience and backgrounds. Use some of the prospects and picks to fill the gaps on the NHL roster to improve this team, then maybe the guys you were going to build around wouldn't be wanting out. Instead, we get more cheap inexperienced Hires and young players wanting out because they don't want to waste their prime

The Eichel, Reinhart and Risto core won absolutely nothing and they all want out. The Sabre could keep everything in tact and then watch Reinhart and Risto walk for nothing next summer, Jack demand out with his No trade kicked in and then it becomes a scorched Earth rebuild with no pieces back to build with.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The Eichel, Reinhart and Risto core won absolutely nothing and they all want out. The Sabre could keep everything in tact and then watch Reinhart and Risto walk for nothing next summer, Jack demand out with his No trade kicked in and then it becomes a scorched Earth rebuild with no pieces back to build with.

The franchise could have also brought in a coach and/or GM with experience and not been the worst team in the league last year encouraging those guys to re-sign. Instead they go through another horrible year, see the team stick with 'status quo' trying to find diamonds in the rough with cheap and inexperience coaching and GM and now its time to rebuild again and toss away a core that has barely even hit their prime yet.....

• Like (+1) 2

I hope they get a good return for Eichel in a trade, but I don't think KA is up to it. Clearly, the combo of Jack,Sam and Risto was unsuccessful for the team so I don't regret turning the page entirely. However, the team has been severely mismanaged for many years now. Personnel decisions, both players and front office, have been terrible. We can all quote the bad free agent signings (Skinner,Okposo) and the bad trades (too numerous), but in fairness it was a team effort to fail this badly. 

The question now is whether the team has the structure in place to turn the franchise around. Is the leadership and vision from ownership capable of winning in this league? All indications are, "NO". It has been a decade since the Pegulas have run the team. Maybe some positive signs should have shown themselves by now if they were competent? Nothing but failure so far!

Do they have the personnel management team in place to succeed i.e. GM,scouts,coaches? It doesn't look like it, but they get a little more time to prove themselves. Sometimes you find something good in the bargain bin.

Do they have the players to compete for the Stanley Cup? No! Some day the core of the current players on the roster might develop into something good, but right now it looks bleak for the short term.

If this analysis is wrong, I will be very happy. I hope it is wrong, but they have to convince me with results. Time will tell.

Edited by PotentPowerPlay21
  • Like (+1) 1

I agree it's a tank year for this franchise.

The difference between this tank and the previous tank is the cupboard is not as bare as it was in 2013-15.  

You've got Cozens, Dahlin, Power, with guys like Quinn and Rosen.... there's definitely some pieces there, but IMO most are still 2-3 years away or more from being significant contributors.   

In the meantime, let the tank roll.  The next 2 drafts are blockbusters.   

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.