2021 Free Agent Frenzy! July 28

steveoath

Although the top end is obviously not as good, It is sad that, as of now, the Sabres have comparable depth at forward and defence before the free agent frenzy than the teams from 2013-21 had after the free agent frenzy.

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Although the top end is obviously not as good, It is sad that, as of now, the Sabres have comparable depth at forward and defence before the free agent frenzy than the teams from 2013-21 had after the free agent frenzy.

Gotta start drafting better. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Who in their right mind would sign w Buffalo now.

People needing an NHL job or people more interesting in money then winning.

I’ll amend the above to add guys looking for an opportunity higher in the lineup. We have a ton of opportunity for guys in the top 9 forwards.  Come here on a one year deal.  Prove you can play in the top 6 and cash in next offseason.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Spending money to a cap number is a non issue and easily fixed. You can see from the expansion draft there's a bunch of teams willing to toss away high priced vets . Easily trade for any one of them and maybe get a prospect at the same time (if necessary). This is clearly the Arizona plan. 

What we need to add in the short term is size and grit to balance out and protect these undersized and not fully grown yet kids. Right now this roster will get slaughtered if anybody decides to throw their weight around against us. We cannot build a proper culture for them if guys like Mitts start playing scared and we can't ask them to fight all their own battles without support. 

• Like (+1) 5

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Come here on a one year deal.  Prove you can play in the top 6 and cash in next offseason.  

Who has this worked for over the last decade? Hasn't just about every single player that came here lost value and seen their numbers drop? You think their agents won't dissuade this idea?

The only guy I can think of that this has perhaps worked for is Curtis Lazar who earned his way back into the league. Anyone else improve their status coming here?

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Who has this worked for over the last decade? Hasn't just about every single player that came here lost value and seen their numbers drop? You think their agents won't dissuade this idea?

The only guy I can think of that this has perhaps worked for is Curtis Lazar who earned his way back into the league. Anyone else improve their status coming here?

Most of the players we’ve had only stayed in the league because they were here. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Digger said:

We should have cap room.

Riley Sheahan?  Not a priority and I know that his stats were not that great but he did provide some versatility as a 4th line center that could move up and play center or wing on the 3rd line if needed.  I would be happy to see him back again (if he'll sign).

Otherwise I agree with the priority to get a center back in the Eichel trade and ideally a top 6 winger that can step into the lineup.  Let's see.

Yeah, Sheahan was a possible "keep" in my veteran presence thread.

Tyler Ennis is only 31 lol.  It seems like 15 years since he played in Buffalo.

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ll amend the above to add guys looking for an opportunity higher in the lineup. We have a ton of opportunity for guys in the top 9 forwards.  Come here on a one year deal.  Prove you can play in the top 6 and cash in next offseason.  

Yep, this.

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

If one accepts that the previous rebuild plans are a thing of the past and the Sabres are actually building for the future, it makes sense for a youngish player stuck down on the depth chart on a good team to move over to an up-and-coming team and be a leader.  The idea behind ROR coming to Buffalo comes to mind, and assuming Jack is traded, there won't be the same friction with a prima donna.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If one accepts that the previous rebuild plans are a thing of the past and the Sabres are actually building for the future, it makes sense for a youngish player stuck down on the depth chart on a good team to move over to an up-and-coming team and be a leader.  The idea behind ROR coming to Buffalo comes to mind, and assuming Jack is traded, there won't be the same friction with a prima donna.

Possibly. We should also probably be looking (as always) at southern Ontario boys who might enjoy the proximity. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't think we'll know KA's FA strategy until Jack is traded and we see what (if anything) at an NHL level comes back the other way.  

I'm going to predict they have no plans to sign a single one. Maybe a small smattering of Riley Sheahan types to fill out the roster but basically nobody. 

Also going to predict (and it's a mistake) that UPL will be our goalie and Power will be in our opening day line up. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm going to predict they have no plans to sign a single one. Maybe a small smattering of Riley Sheahan types to fill out the roster but basically nobody. 

Also going to predict (and it's a mistake) that UPL will be our goalie and Power will be in our opening day line up. 

Agree on not signing anyone of any significance. Why would we really.

8 hours ago, Norcal said:

If the new guys are using analytics does anyone know who the Sabres would target? Any analytics darlings available?

Anybody? I'm not super knowledgeable on what sites there are or how to use them but I know some of you are.

Can anyone throw up a chart showing this year's free agent crop? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.