Getting to know Devon Levi

Eleven

55 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No he doesn’t. He’s a 7th round pick. This breakout sample size is ridiculously small 

Anyways, who’d you rather have, Reinhart to term, or Devon Levi?

As I always say, goalie prospects are nothingness until they are actually starting capably in the NHL. Their numbers are often all over the place. 

Wasn’t UPL ranked as the top goalie prospect in the world for quite a period of time? 

This isn’t really even a breakout.  Levi was great before being drafted too. He has basically been the best goalie in every league and major tournament he has played in for the past 3 years.  I don’t know if he really looks 2x more promising than UPL did at the same age (how could one even quantify that), but he definitely does have better results.

This isn’t a discussion of who is better between Reinhart and Levi.  I’m sorry that I said the word Reinhart and triggered you.  🙄

Literally have never seen you say the bolded before.  You are right though. 😉

Edited by Curt

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hence why I called it absurdist. As in it was using something absurd for comparison. 

14 games is significantly more. No problem waiting another 13 games until we see 20 ncaa games from Levi but he's making a very strong case to be placed above upl in the ranking of our goalie prospects 

Ya, you’ll have to tell me where the line is. 

We’ve established that using 2 games would be “absurd” 

Merely adding 12 more games moves the scale from “absurd” to “this is enough to say he’s our best goalie prospect”. 

So where is the line? Actually asking. Is 7 games absurd still, but 10 is a solid backing? 

Just now, Thorny said:

Ya, you’ll have to tell me where the line is. 

We’ve established that using 2 games would be “absurd” 

Merely adding 12 more games moves the scale from “absurd” to “this is enough to say he’s our best goalie prospect”. 

So where is the line? Actually asking. Is 7 games absurd still, but 10 is a solid backing? 

Somewhere between 10 and 20 but the closer to 20 the better. 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s kinda the Phil Housley argument.

At the time Bowman picked him taking a high school hockey player was almost unheard of. A 5’10” defenceman in the top 10? People thought he was crazy.

3rd in games played in his class and a hall-of-farmer. Good scouting is about recognizing the outliers.

What kind of sample size do you look for, for you? 

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

This isn’t really even a breakout.  Levi was great before being drafted too. He has basically been the best goalie in every league and major tournament he has played in for the past 3 years.  I don’t know if he really looks 2x more promising than UPL did at the same age (how could one even quantify that), but he definitely does have better results.

This isn’t a discussion of who is better between Reinhart and Levi.  I’m sorry that I said the word Reinhart and triggered you.  🙄

Literally have never seen you say the bolded before.  You are right though. 😉

Why isn’t it a discussion between Reinhart and Levi? That’s the discussion I was trying to have. Why are you framing is as “triggered”, with an emoji? I was interested in discussing your point about how the trade might not suck. My contention was that, due to my thoughts on Reinhart, I still don’t like it. I responded to your post, would you rather I not? 

Sorry I’m just trying to understand what counts as a good faith response and what is simply the reaction of one triggered

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

A Reinhart signed to term is still significantly more valuable than a goalie prospect, years out. Even with Levi looking as promising as UPL did a couple years ago, the trade in only palatable in a “market” sense, to me. This GM and the fellow before still failed to achieve the best scenario, a signed Reinhart 

Well, per our recent conversation, I think this is another situation in which KA should be judged on the outcome. If Levi turns into Tom Barrasso, and Reinhart continues at his current good-but-not-great level, then Levi will be more valuable and KA should be credited, especially for making a silk purse from a sow’s ear.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Levi's 37 cchl games have a sv% of .941 which is .2% higher than the next closest goalie that year at .920

Thanks for providing the facts to back up my argument.

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What kind of sample size do you look for, for you? 

Don’t actually know. The bigger the picture the more weight. 

What I’m trying to say with Levi is that there is more there than 14 games.

If you do a deep dive into the Internet, he’s an impressive kid who didn’t come out of nowhere. He was practicing with and impressing NHLers at 15 and putting up insane numbers at lower levels while resisting overtures to play in the Q.

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

Well, per our recent conversation, I think this is another situation in which KA should be judged on the outcome. If Levi turns into Tom Barrasso, and Reinhart continues at his current good-but-not-great level, then Levi will be more valuable and KA should be credited, especially for making a silk purse from a sow’s ear.  

Can’t argue with that 

Just now, Curt said:

Literally have never seen you say the bolded before.

Just now, Thorny said:

No he doesn’t. He’s a 7th round pick. This breakout sample size is ridiculously small 

Anyways, who’d you rather have, Reinhart to term, or Devon Levi?

As I always say, goalie prospects are nothingness until they are actually starting capably in the NHL. Their numbers are often all over the place. 

Wasn’t UPL ranked as the top goalie prospect in the world for quite a period of time? 

On 10/17/2021 at 2:54 PM, Thorny said:

Goalie prospects are nothingness until they are literally successfully starting in the NHL. That's why it's good we have 3. 

Adding a capable starter so we aren't counting on anything too quickly would also be a helpful pillar in establishing the position 

There's your receipt. 

You must have the Thorny ignore on like Liger

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Why isn’t it a discussion between Reinhart and Levi? That’s the discussion I was trying to have. Why are you framing is as “triggered”, with an emoji? I was interested in discussing your point about how the trade might not suck. My contention was that, due to my thoughts on Reinhart, I still don’t like it. I responded to your post, would you rather I not? 

Sorry I’m just trying to understand what counts as a good faith response and what is simply the reaction of one triggered

Well, it’s one year of Reinhart for Levi and a 1st.  If Levi ends up being really good, then it was probably good value for Reinhart.  But this is also the Getting to know Devon Levi thread, not the Reinhart Traded thread.  I guess I’m just sorry that I mentioned Reinhart because after I did that’s all you wanted to talk about, and I don’t really want to.

I probably shouldn’t have used the word triggered because it’s triggering.

Overall, my post was intended to be slightly more playful than you how you seem to have interpreted it.

Levi does have a small sample size the past couple seasons but lots of other players do too.  He has always performed very well. He was a 7th rounder mostly because (1) he isn’t tall and (2) because he played in a lesser junior league in order to retain his NCAA eligibility.  He has always performed extremely well going back several years.

Edited by Curt

Just now, Curt said:

Well, it’s one year of Reinhart for Levi and a 1st.  If Levi ends up being really good, then it was probably good value for Reinhart.  But this is also the Getting to know Devon Levi thread, not the Reinhart Traded thread.  I guess I’m just sorry that I mentioned Reinhart because after I did that’s all you wanted to talk about, and I don’t really want to.

I probably shouldn’t have used the word triggered because it’s triggering.

Overall, my post was intended to be slightly more playful than you how you seem to have interpreted it.

Not at all. I didn't take it as playful OR the opposite. It was confusing, my response was in sincerity

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

And you can’t say he “got hot” because they are 2 separate segments 10 months and an injury apart.

WJC: 7GP, 3 SO, .964 S%

NCAA 7GP, 4 SO, .944 S%

He’s got 7 shutouts in his past 14 games? Who does that?

Tony Esposito?  😕

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think you’re splitting hairs here. Every draft pick has some questions.

UPL was good enough in Finland to be a 2nd-rounder, then followed that up with a dominating year in the OHL.

Then he had hip surgery.

And IMHO the hip surgery has been the demarcation point for him.  He seemed to have great potential prior to that.  But since, he plays like he's only 5'9" (or whatever height Levi is) as he gies up about 3" of space at the top of the net that NHL shooters will find every time.  Apparently AHL shooters are also finding holes.

Hoping it's mental with him now, which theoretically should be fixable, but having the same issues so far after the surgeries is troubling & really don't consider him a true prospect at this point.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Levi just beat Harvard 2-1. I believe he's 8-3-0 now. This might singlehandedly make the Reinhart trade good. 

I watched him play tonight. He was Levi. He is always Levi. And by that I mean he is as consistent as any young goalie I have seen. North Eastern are pretty structured but Levi shuts everything down so calmly. He seems to have that elite anticipation and ability to read the play that all the great players have regardless of position.  

Young goalies are a crapshoot but every once in a while you see one that just had “it”. Levi seems to be one of those.

Tonight I was really impressed with how he handled the puck.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Levi just beat Harvard 2-1. I believe he's 8-3-0 now. This might singlehandedly make the Reinhart trade good. 

I liked this guy since the World Juniors, not expected to make the team yet becomes the starter.

7th rounder probably because he played Junior A instead of CHL.

I don’t know much about Northeastern but he must be a large part of their success.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.