Getting to know Devon Levi

Eleven

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Thorny I understand that you were making a play on Levon by Elton John, but considering Devon comes from a Jewish family from Montreal I don’t think he’d appreciate the stereotype.

You dug really hard for that one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Watching his film he plays more like Quick than Price. 

The Canadian media will obviously compare him to Price, but IMO he's stylistically similar to Jonathan Quick. Quick is 6'1, extremely atheltic and competes his ass off.

Not saying he's the next Quick, but there similarities.  Quick never played Junior A (USHL, NAHL, or Major Junior).

After being drafted (rnd 3) out of Prep School in 2005, Quick spent 2 years at UMass, and 1 year splitting time between the ECHL/AHL, before finally breaking into the NHL in year 4. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

@Thorny I understand that you were making a play on Levon by Elton John, but considering Devon comes from a Jewish family from Montreal I don’t think he’d appreciate the stereotype.

Stereotype didn't even cross my mind until you mentioned it so I think you are the one that drew it, no offence 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Watching his film he plays more like Quick than Price. 

The Canadian media will obviously compare him to Price, but IMO he's stylistically similar to Jonathan Quick. Quick is 6'1, extremely atheltic and competes his ass off.

Not saying he's the next Quick, but there similarities.  Quick never played Junior A (USHL, NAHL, or Major Junior).

After being drafted (rnd 3) out of Prep School in 2005, Quick spent 2 years at UMass, and 1 year splitting time between the ECHL/AHL, before finally breaking into the NHL in year 4. 

IF that happened with Levi AND he plays like Quick, I'd be thrilled beyond belief. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2021 at 3:13 PM, Norcal said:

"Alex Killorn, a former Harvard forward who is now with the Tampa Bay Lightning, was one of several NHL players who would return to workout with Levi's coaches in the summer. At 14 years old, he was invited on the ice to be their goalie." 👍

"I'm just a guy who will give my heart and soul to the team," Levi said. "I'll do everything I can do to win. Hopefully, I'll be able to be a piece of the puzzle and hopefully, we can win a championship.

"I just focus on what I have to do. I don't get tied up with the uncontrollable stuff. My job is to stop the puck, and I do whatever I can do to stop it. I give myself to the game, I guess you can say I'm married to the game. I love doing it. I love playing, so it's easy for me."

The kid is easy to like IMO

Reviving this thread because it was pointed out that Killorn has taken note of Levi so much so that he randomly tweeted about him ... in January 

• Like (+1) 7

9 hours ago, Hoss said:

Reviving this thread because it was pointed out that Killorn has taken note of Levi so much so that he randomly tweeted about him ... in January 

It wasn't exactly random — he was at centre stage of the hockey world dominating the WJC, which was the only hockey happening at the time.

But good stuff.

Haven't heard the Sabres say much about him yet. Wonder if he was someone they had specifically targeted, or if he was more of a throw-in after the first.

I suspect the ask for Sam was a 1st and prospect and they felt this was the best combo offered.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

“He's gifted, for sure,” said Raimondo. “There's obviously goalie coaches around the league that reached out to me prior to the draft to talk about him, and I mean, 100%, like size was a concern, but I kept repeating, high hockey IQ trumps everything, right? Like, you look at the guys that are 6-feet and below in the league, the reason why they're there is that they're just so intelligent, and they always know where to be, they're a couple steps ahead of everyone else. He’s exactly that. He has that IQ away from the ice, he has that IQ on the ice. He loves to compete, but I just think that he loves being a goalie. He just absolutely loves being a goalie. He loves stopping pucks. He wants to know everything about it and wants to get better.”

https://buffalonews.com/sports/sabres/how-sabres-prospect-devon-levi-developed-into-a-record-setting-goalie/article_407e4f2c-0668-11ec-9de6-b3a9e6042a61.html

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Can he just blow us off by not signing an entry level contract? Didn’t another goalie stay in college on us? If goalies don’t really play until they are 23 or so anyway, maybe he just stays in college? Would that not also apply to the Michigan St goalie we own the rights to? Butcher and Jimmy Vessy was like that too, I believe. 

Hope on wrong on this 

6 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Can he just blow us off by not signing an entry level contract? Didn’t another goalie stay in college on us? If goalies don’t really play until they are 23 or so anyway, maybe he just stays in college? Would that not also apply to the Michigan St goalie we own the rights to? Butcher and Jimmy Vessy was like that too, I believe. 

Hope on wrong on this 

Couple of things. 

First, Michigan, not Michigan State. His name is Erik Portillo and he would have to stay in college not only for this season, but for 2 additional years to become a UFA. It is HIGHLY unlikely that happens. 

Second, Levi would need to stay in college for 4 years including this upcoming one to become a UFA. The issue here is Buffalo is going to offer him an ELC before that 4th year and that would mean he gives up on millions of dollars if he decides to stay longer. The sooner you finish your ELC the sooner you can get paid. It is the same reason Owen Power isn't going to stay in college another 3 years.  

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I have a really important question.

If I don’t like the Reinhart trade, how long is it acceptable to refer to Devon Levi, not by his name, but as “a 7th round pick goalie”.

This is important to me because it helps me to make the trade seem like garbage, and I’d like to continue doing that for as long as possible.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Couple of things. 

First, Michigan, not Michigan State. His name is Erik Portillo and he would have to stay in college not only for this season, but for 2 additional years to become a UFA. It is HIGHLY unlikely that happens. 

Second, Levi would need to stay in college for 4 years including this upcoming one to become a UFA. The issue here is Buffalo is going to offer him an ELC before that 4th year and that would mean he gives up on millions of dollars if he decides to stay longer. The sooner you finish your ELC the sooner you can get paid. It is the same reason Owen Power isn't going to stay in college another 3 years.  

Think he was referring to Notre Dame goalie that went west

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

If I don’t like the Reinhart trade, how long is it acceptable to refer to Devon Levi, not by his name, but as “a 7th round pick goalie”.

This is important to me because it helps me to make the trade seem like garbage, and I’d like to continue doing that for as long as possible.

I think we can have another full year of this

40 minutes ago, Curt said:

He's an early birthday for his draft year.   He's prolly a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he went the following draft (post setting records at the WJC).

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He's an early birthday for his draft year.   He's prolly a 2nd or 3rd round pick if he went the following draft (post setting records at the WJC).

Reinhart for a draft pick and a 7th round goalie.  Hoss said I have a year.  Take it up with me after that.

I’m just kidding.  I love Devon Levi.  I love show Schitt’s Creek that he made with his Dad, Eugene Levi.

• Haha (+1) 4

2 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Think he was referring to Notre Dame goalie that went west

No he was referring to Erik Portillo and Devon Levi.

There's a passing question about Cal Petersen who was a in his 3rd year before we offered him a deal. It was terrible asset management. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, steveoath said:

Levi records a shutout in his college debut!

1633264980496.jpg

Can you stop posting garbage like this. He is a 7th round pick so there is no possible way he could actually be good or help the Sabres in the future. The more positive stuff you post about him the less people will be able to complain.😀😜

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.