Getting to know Devon Levi

Eleven

14 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

That said, Hasek level goaltending gets next year's team in the playoffs... Possibly deep.

Problem is, no single player has had Hasek level impact on one team since Hasek. 

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Carey. Price.

Beat me to it.  🍺

Stanley Cup Finalist to 32nd out of 32.  (There were some other changes too, but Price was the biggest difference by far.)

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Beat me to it.  🍺

Stanley Cup Finalist to 32nd out of 32.  (There were some other changes too, but Price was the biggest difference by far.)

That's true. I say for sure though prime Hasek was on a much higher level even.

Also Montreal has lost some real significant pieces since last year. But point taken... that Cup finals appearance was on Price's back.

16 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

That's true. I say for sure though prime Hasek was on a much higher level even.

Also Montreal has lost some real significant pieces since last year. But point taken... that Cup finals appearance was on Price's back.

Oh, Price is a HoFer, but definitely not on Hasek's plane.  The comment you quoted was, as you noted, directed towards the the idea that Noone else has had that same effect on a roster.

Pretty sure we're on the same page; just stating it differently.

🍺

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Oh, Price is a HoFer, but definitely not on Hasek's plane.  The comment you quoted was, as you noted, directed towards the the idea that Noone else has had that same effect on a roster.

Pretty sure we're on the same page; just stating it differently.

🍺

I’d say Price at times was closest to Hasek in regards to 1 goalie taking a mediocre team places as we’ve seen since Hasek. However he only ended up with a couple incredible seasons whereas Hasek put up about a decade

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d say Price at times was closest to Hasek in regards to 1 goalie taking a mediocre team places as we’ve seen since Hasek. However he only ended up with a couple incredible seasons whereas Hasek put up about a decade

Injuries really derailed him.  Sad.

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Curt said:

I know this is from a couple days ago, but I’m tossing it in here because Levi is great.  He’s definitely signing too.  No doubt.

What a great kid. Impressive interview. Well spoken, and a great attitude. He’s going to be easy to root for. 

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

Of cool they are playing umass feb 24th in amherst near my house... may have to go

I'm going to that one barring something unforeseen coming up. I want to see Levi play live. Only a half hour drive for me. The Hangar for some wings and beers.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I'm going to that one barring something unforeseen coming up. I want to see Levi play live. Only a half hour drive for me. The Hangar for some wings and beers.

Ill let you know

Tickets usually pretty cheap $15-25

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Northeastern plays at Lowell and Harvard the Day after the Sabres play Their Two Games in Boston. I imagine Levi will be invited to the AM Skate and to sit with Adams for the Game 

Any cool Ann Arbor Detroit lineups that might work, too?  Wild Gophers too while we're at it. 😉

@DarthEbriate Apparently Devon Levi models his game after Qui Gon Jinn

Fantastic piece in the Athletic

https://theathletic.com/3437934/2022/07/21/sabres-goalie-prospect-devon-levi-preparation/

Money quote:

“I have goosebumps thinking about it, but I know this kid is going to win a Stanley Cup,” Raimondo said. “I know that everything he’s doing is building toward him being a Stanley Cup Champion. I know it in my heart. I see the way he goes about things and it takes a really really special person to be a part of a Stanley Cup-winning team. I think he’s subconsciously building himself to be that person. I think Buffalo is lucky.”

Nothing like setting the bar low, eh?

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

https://theathletic.com/3437934/2022/07/21/sabres-goalie-prospect-devon-levi-preparation/

Money quote:

“I have goosebumps thinking about it, but I know this kid is going to win a Stanley Cup,” Raimondo said. “I know that everything he’s doing is building toward him being a Stanley Cup Champion. I know it in my heart. I see the way he goes about things and it takes a really really special person to be a part of a Stanley Cup-winning team. I think he’s subconsciously building himself to be that person. I think Buffalo is lucky.”

Thanks for putting up the link.  I'd mentioned that article in the prospects thread but didn't have the link.

Very nice article.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Money quote:

Can you post more text from the article. Want to read, but it's behind a paywall.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I like Levi even more. (And still hope Portillo signs.)

Note -- Levi is just modeling his meditative stance after Qui-Gon, not his entire game. Qui-Gon's game is morally dubious and marked with questionable decisions: placing wagers on a child's family situation (staying with mother, or being forcibly adopted by Qui-Gon), cheating in a dice chance cube game, promoting children racing in excess of 500 mph, betting on said children, stealing a child from his mother while leaving the mother in slavery, intentionally taking a child into an active battlefield, then abandoning said child on said active battlefield. In summary, keep Qui-Guy away from your children!

Here's the passage in full:

"Condon said people always text him wondering what Levi is doing. Most coaches don’t bother to ask, knowing better than to mess with a goalie’s routine. But Levi’s routine is one borne out of his wisdom and molded by his childlike joy. He said it is derived from his and his father’s shared love of “Star Wars”. There is a scene in which Qui Gon is dueling Darth Maul. A force field appears around Qui Gon, and he sits down, closes his eyes, and starts meditating. 

“My dad loves that scene and he kind of got me on it and I thought it was pretty cool,” Levi said. “There’s nothing else to do during a TV timeout that will stop the puck in the next shift, so might as well take it as an opportunity to recenter and focus. "

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Note -- Levi is just modeling his meditative stance after Qui-Gon, not his entire game. Qui-Gon's game is morally dubious and marked with questionable decisions: placing wagers on a child's family situation (staying with mother, or being forcibly adopted by Qui-Gon), cheating in a dice chance cube game, promoting children racing in excess of 500 mph, betting on said children, stealing a child from his mother while leaving the mother in slavery, intentionally taking a child into an active battlefield, then abandoning said child on said active battlefield. In summary, keep Qui-Guy away from your children!

I mean, people say things like this, but Anakin became a powerful and famous person in the Empire.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 7/15/2022 at 9:30 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

That said, Hasek level goaltending gets next year's team in the playoffs... Possibly deep.

Problem is, no single player has had Hasek level impact on one team since Hasek. 

Jonathan Quick

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

"Condon said people always text him wondering what Levi is doing. Most coaches don’t bother to ask, knowing better than to mess with a goalie’s routine. But Levi’s routine is one borne out of his wisdom and molded by his childlike joy. He said it is derived from his and his father’s shared love of “Star Wars”. There is a scene in which Qui Gon is dueling Darth Maul. A force field appears around Qui Gon, and he sits down, closes his eyes, and starts meditating. 

“My dad loves that scene and he kind of got me on it and I thought it was pretty cool,” Levi said. “There’s nothing else to do during a TV timeout that will stop the puck in the next shift, so might as well take it as an opportunity to recenter and focus. "

And it so reminds of Miller standing on the bench in front of the player's gate imagining that night's game & his other little rituals.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yeah but Qui Gon gets killed after that scene and Obi Wan has to rush in and finish the job when he gets the chance ..................so I'm assuming that means we do need to sign both Levi and Portillo to complete the Star Wars analogy with Portillo taking over in the Cup final for the Sabres win.  😏

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.