Getting to know Devon Levi

Eleven

1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Some Christmas Day trivia:

How are “The Weight,” Gordon Lightfoot’s “Sundown,” and the death of John Belushi related.

Catherine Smith.  Concubine to The Band, mistress to Gordie and the muse of the lyrics for Sundown, and drug dealer who injected the speedball to Belushi. 

• Sad 1

My natural reaction to the Devon Levi news is muted only because most times the next "big things" on the Sabres don't pan out for whatever reasons. The kid does seem like a diamond in the rough, though. Whoever it will be, I'll be so relieved when we finally find a true franchise starting goaltender. It's only been a few years since Ryan Miller left, but it feels like an eternity. I miss not having to worry about it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dreams Burn Down said:

My natural reaction to the Devon Levi news is muted only because most times the next "big things" on the Sabres don't pan out for whatever reasons. The kid does seem like a diamond in the rough, though. Whoever it will be, I'll be so relieved when we finally find a true franchise starting goaltender. It's only been a few years since Ryan Miller left, but it feels like an eternity. I miss not having to worry about it.

Welcome to the forum and I have say you may have the most Buffalo Sabres username ever.

• Thanks (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Two shutouts in two days.  This trade is starting to look very good.

Levi is a full .01% above the next closest sv%

FYI the guy at .948 has played 7 less games or 35% less games than Levi at 20gp

Edited by LGR4GM

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

Two shutouts in two days.  This trade is starting to look very good.

Definitely makes losing Sam hurt less.

I’m just glad Florida already had Spencer Knight in their system. How good is their goalie scout.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

That does not look like that big a deal.

Is it?

It is. That's 10 goals every 1k shots.  That doesn't sound like much but that's pretty significant when you consider the number of 1 goal games. Would you rather a guy give up 52 goals per 1k shots or 42 goals?

Portillo is at .919 btw

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Definitely makes losing Sam hurt less.

I’m just glad Florida already had Spencer Knight in their system. How good is their goalie scout.

Spencer knight was an easy pick impo. But getting Levi is like getting Wolf. Drafting talent even if it is imperfect (size)

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

That does not look like that big a deal.

Is it?

It’s a difference of roughly 0.31 goals per game.

Over an 82 game season, it would be a difference of about 26 goals.

Thats a huge gap between Levi and the next best guy in the NCAA.

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yup. Those tenths all add up.

Now, I don't expect Levi to roll a .958 in the NHL.

But, it puts in perspective how much goaltending means. A solid NHL goalie at a .915 is 20 goals better than a .905 (backup), and that's 20 more goals than a .895 (Hutton-level). Then, go the other direction .925. And then there's Hasek at .935. Over the course of an entire season, a Hasek is 80 goals better than a Hutton, all things else being equal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m not the best math guy out there, but if that’s the difference between .958 and .948, does that mean the difference between he and Portillo at a very respectable .919 would be like 100 goals a season?

.919 is easily a starter’s number in the NHL.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m not the best math guy out there, but if that’s the difference between .958 and .948, does that mean the difference between he and Portillo at a very respectable .919 would be like 100 goals a season?

Is there an NHLe stat for goalies like there is for skaters? 

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

With it looking more and more likely that UPL has a roster spot next year, where does this leave Levi?

Does he split time in the NHL with UPL after a good camp?

Does he start in Rochester as the #1?

Does he go back to school?

Any thoughts?

Either back to school or Rochester. Depends on what the think of portillo tooo

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Yup. Those tenths all add up.

Now, I don't expect Levi to roll a .958 in the NHL.

But, it puts in perspective how much goaltending means. A solid NHL goalie at a .915 is 20 goals better than a .905 (backup), and that's 20 more goals than a .895 (Hutton-level). Then, go the other direction .925. And then there's Hasek at .935. Over the course of an entire season, a Hasek is 80 goals better than a Hutton, all things else being equal.

I am excited with Levi's NHL94esque numbers.  The performances he's stringing together are stratospheric.  However, the NHL is just a different animal.  So, I'm attempting to temper my zeal, but the kid is making it increasingly difficult on me.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

The difference in goals against between having 0.958 goaltending and 0.919 goaltending over an 82 game season, assuming roughly league average shots faced, would be roughly 100 goals, yes.

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

The difference in goals against between having 0.958 goaltending and 0.919 goaltending over an 82 game season, assuming roughly league average shots faced, would be roughly 100 goals, yes.

Just keep in mind levi will not have a .958 in the NHL 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.