Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You know, Adams was rumored to want a 1st, prospect, and roster player for Reinhart right? He did basically get that minus the last piece. 

Just a random thought. 

If you check the totality of the Risto-Reinhart trades  you received 2 1sts, a 2nd, a GK prospect and Hagg. Not great but not nearly as terrible a haul as some would think. All but Hagg are futures and I don't think he'll be here long.

We talk about the NHL draft being a crap shoot.  Levi was a 7th rounder that breaks out in juniors and plays great for Canada in the Worlds.  Canada had no shortage of talent.  Levi would easily be a first rounder in this past draft.  So we have a good prospect at a critical position, and another first coming next year.  

Now we have UPL, Portillo, and Levi - one if them has to hit if we can develop them right.  Plus 3 number ones next year.  

Next step:  lets sign Ullmark and an NHL caliber 1B goalie and give the current roster a chance.  This also buys time for the prospects.  

Next, next step:  don’t trade Eichel until you get the right value.  We need a 1C coming back.   If not he stays.  I say this assuming he is not going be disruptive, and I don’t think he will be.  

Next, next, next step - don’t squander our picks like Murray did.  Build a deep pipeline rather than trading for other teams problems.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Now we have UPL, Portillo, and Levi - one if them has to hit if we can develop them right.  Plus 3 number ones next year.  

Not to be picky with you but at the moment we only have 2.

16 minutes ago, postseasonblues said:

A lottery protected first rounder, what a joke. Couldn't get Florida to drop that even though they just finished 37-14-5 in a 56 game season.

It’s top-10 protected, not lottery.  If it’s top 10 it becomes a 2023 1st.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We talk about the NHL draft being a crap shoot.  Levi was a 7th rounder that breaks out in juniors and plays great for Canada in the Worlds.  Canada had no shortage of talent.  Levi would easily be a first rounder in this past draft.  So we have a good prospect at a critical position, and another first coming next year.  

For clarification: Levi didn’t play in Juniors or Worlds. He played a total of seven games in the last year after being drafted. All of them at the U-20 World Junior Classic. He played damn well in it but those seven games in a D+1 year would not take him from a seventh rounder to a first rounder.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Next step:  lets sign Ullmark and an NHL caliber 1B goalie and give the current roster a chance.  This also buys time for the prospects.  

Next, next step:  don’t trade Eichel until you get the right value.  We need a 1C coming back.   If not he stays.  I say this assuming he is not going be disruptive, and I don’t think he will be.  

Next, next, next step - don’t squander our picks like Murray did.  Build a deep pipeline rather than trading for other teams problems.  

This.

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You know, Adams was rumored to want a 1st, prospect, and roster player for Reinhart right? He did basically get that minus the last piece. 

Just a random thought. 

The lack of a roster player able to play this year ideally in Sam's spot is what makes this trade hurt so much.  For example if it had been the Flyers with a 2022 first and Travis Konecny and a prospect I assume most would feel a lot better about what Adams is doing.

Just now, Digger said:

The lack of a roster player able to play this year ideally in Sam's spot is what makes this trade hurt so much.  For example if it had been the Flyers with a 2022 first and Travis Konecny and a prospect I assume most would feel a lot better about what Adams is doing.

Of course.  Only problem with this is that Konecny alone is probably just as valuable as Sam.

• Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Donnie Edwards and Tommy Barrasso were Buffalo rookie goalies that did great.  

Recently, St Louis won a Cup with a rookie.  In the past, Montreal won a Cup with Ken Dryden, and he had rookie status the next season. 

Not saying it will happen here, but merely pointing out that It happens. I think Knight is ready to play a big load. 

He was in the AHL for 5 years I believe I would put that in the list .

Knight is only 19 putting that much pressure on a kid that can't "drink " Might not be the greatest thing in the world  One bad game leads to another snowball effect. 

Flyers did that with Hart and he's looking more average then ever .

Hell the last time   Florida had one of the greatest goalie prospects and then turned him into a bust in Markstrom

Edited by Buffalonill

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

For clarification: Levi didn’t play in Juniors or Worlds. He played a total of seven games in the last year after being drafted. All of them at the U-20 World Junior Classic. He played damn well in it but those seven games in a D+1 years would not take him from a seventh rounder to a first rounder.

Ok.  Maybe not a 1 this year but my point is more on not focusing on the 7th round aspect given his play in the under 20.  The NHL draft is difficult because they draft  18 year olds and a lot of changes happen, or don’t happen in the next 3-4 years.  Levi is trending in the right direction right now.  

I would love to see all three of our prospects develop and give us a surplus at a critical position.  I like that Adams brought in a goalie, now he needs to address NHL goaltending for this season and not make it a miserable year. 

I am concerned about center.  That is why I would be in no hurry to trade Eichel.  Without him we are dead up the middle.  He is on contract so an Eichel trade must return a 1C and provide other long term benefits to the Sabres.  

9 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

They have cap problems coming.  That’s what happens when you sign 3 of the top 4 of a draft year that are all now hitting UFA age. When teams pick and choose, if they lose the culture and have an injury they can collapse. 

What buffalo did was smart  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

Ok.  Maybe not a 1 this year but my point is more on not focusing on the 7th round aspect given his play in the under 20.  The NHL draft is difficult because they draft  18 year olds and a lot of changes happen, or don’t happen in the next 3-4 years.  Levi is trending in the right direction right now.  

I would love to see all three of our prospects develop and give us a surplus at a critical position.  I like that Adams brought in a goalie, now he needs to address NHL goaltending for this season and not make it a miserable year. 

I am concerned about center.  That is why I would be in no hurry to trade Eichel.  Without him we are dead up the middle.  He is on contract so an Eichel trade must return a 1C and provide other long term benefits to the Sabres.  

I forget which poster pointed out the concern over the lottery protection being because we got burned on this recently which is definitely part of it.

The same applies to Levi: a low draft pick that we’ve been told played above his draft position the year after they were drafted. Hudson Fasching. We traded good value for him and were told to be excited for it but in the end he ended up not being able to hold his own on NHL ice. I hope Levi pans out obviously but he doesn’t carry a lot of weight as a prospect in my opinion. He’s definitely trending in the right direction as you say, though.

Bringing back Ullmark should be the next step at the position because while he’s not a prospect he’s still got developing to do and could end up proving to be a long-term starter. That would be a big piece to our puzzle and allow patience on the three guys in the system.

14 minutes ago, Digger said:

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Of course.  Only problem with this is that Konecny alone is probably just as valuable as Sam.

Perhaps given that Konecny is signed for a few more years but I believe Reinhart is more talented and better value overall as a player.  It may have been an interesting one for one trade with maybe a 1st or 2nd coming our way with him. 

It's hypothetical and not important at this point but my point was getting a roster player back that could play the same role was really important to me.

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

It is true.  1975 in baseball, and it took a while for that to be implemented.  In the NHL, a player had to be 31 to be a UFA even until 2005.

Yeah, but lots of players were traded. I agree about free agency, but players didn't stay on the same team their whole career.

53 minutes ago, postseasonblues said:

A lottery protected first rounder, what a joke. Couldn't get Florida to drop that even though they just finished 37-14-5 in a 56 game season.

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

It’s top-10 protected, not lottery.  If it’s top 10 it becomes a 2023 1st.

Curt is correct and with the ability to only jump 10 spots, they'd have to be in the bottom 12 to be included and win the lottery even if they don't make the playoffs next year (highly doubtful) but they most likely will be one of the highest total point producing teams not to make it, so chances are nearly nil and none we don't get that pick next year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I forget which poster pointed out the concern over the lottery protection being because we got burned on this recently which is definitely part of it.

The same applies to Levi: a low draft pick that we’ve been told played above his draft position the year after they were drafted. Hudson Fasching. We traded good value for him and were told to be excited for it but in the end he ended up not being able to hold his own on NHL ice. I hope Levi pans out obviously but he doesn’t carry a lot of weight as a prospect in my opinion. He’s definitely trending in the right direction as you say, though.

Bringing back Ullmark should be the next step at the position because while he’s not a prospect he’s still got developing to do and could end up proving to be a long-term starter. That would be a big piece to our puzzle and allow patience on the three guys in the system.

Sure.  But if a GM worries about all the past bad moves (Fasching by Murray, etc.) he becomes paralyzed, does nothing and fails.  

How many thought we would get more for Risto than Reinhart?  Some of the sharpest posters here just wanted to get rid of Risto for a bag of pucks.  Lots of emotion about our players because we are all either sick of losing or used to losing   Just like the team itself.  

KA has a lot to prove and he has arguably the hardest GM job in the league right now.  He must feel buried every day.  This team is a laughing stock.  Some of his moves have to hit. 

Agree on Ullmark as our 1, and then go get a 1B or a decent 2.  We just can’t start the season with Toker or UPL in the NHL. We can’t deliberately tank.  They need to play with pride and to win.  I would like to see a few vets added as well. 

3 minutes ago, jsb said:

Curt is correct and with the ability to only jump 10 spots, they'd have to be in the bottom 12 to be included and win the lottery even if they don't make the playoffs next year (highly doubtful) but they most likely will be one of the highest total point producing teams not to make it, so chances are nearly nil and none we don't get that pick next year.

So I'm going to hope for a 12th from the bottom finish and a lucky lottery!  It could happen!

45 minutes ago, Hoss said:

For clarification: Levi didn’t play in Juniors or Worlds. He played a total of seven games in the last year after being drafted. All of them at the U-20 World Junior Classic. He played damn well in it but those seven games in a D+1 year would not take him from a seventh rounder to a first rounder.

What in the he🏒🏒 is the U-20 World Junior Classic? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.