Reinhart traded to Florida for G Devon Levi (7th rd pick in 2020) and a lottery protected 1st in 2022.

GASabresIUFAN

33 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Don’t play stupid. It’s a small sample size. Nobody said it wasn’t a valid measuring tool.

Dominik Hasek had a pretty small sample size in Chicago too didn't he? Not saying he will be anything close to that, but perhaps KA sees something that leads him to believe he will be a very good NHL goalie...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I looked up his stats, seemed like he played well. I would expect Reinhart to fetch one of their best prospects though. Spencer Knight is a better prospect and they have Bobrovsky signed for years. How are we not getting Knight in this? 

Knight is one of if not the best prospects in the NHL. I'd love him here but take a lot to get him.

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

That’s fine. But let’s not pretend this conversation would be any different seven months from now if the best offer was similar. 

It depends on the market - Buchnevich was a good early tip-off. The return couldn't get worse for Reinhart later. He'd provide much more value to us insulating the youth next season in an effort to remain competitive, get this poor return later if necessary 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Honestly if I am trading Reinhart to Florida and he signs an extension there, I want Lundell. Sick of us doing favors for other teams while getting pennys on the dollar. 

Would it be appropriate to involve Sam and his agent in this process on the front side to see if he’d be willing to sign an extension in Florida?  I hope so. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It depends on the market - Buchnevich was a good early tip-off. The return couldn't get worse for Reinhart later. He'd provide much more value to us insulating the youth next season in an effort to remain competitive, get this poor return later if necessary 

But we need players who "want to be here," right?

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Would Adams then be criticized for not being serious about players wanting to be there?

if I have a crystal ball, obviously your scenario is better, assuming he doesn’t blow out a knee. more time with better players on your team is obviously better.

however, I honestly think this type of deal is the easiest part of a GM job. You ask a lot, field offers and take the best one. You don’t need to be a message boards savant to pick the best one.

However, there’s this continuous IV of Hopium, where fans assert in every scenario, that magically always states that what’s behind door number three is always 10 times better than what actually occurred and it’s just the stupidity of everyone involved is the reason why they can’t see it. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm trying to hold judgement until the trade is announced but this seems like the worst case scenario. The timing of this deal also strikes me as weird, why have it leaked at midnight and then have movement? Are they getting our 1st 2nd round pick? 

Im also curious to know what the hell the plan is for our roster this upcoming season. We've lost 90% of our toughness in risto and borgen and now Sam leaves a gaping hole on offense. There are no free agents that I want the sabres to overpay for and I was hoping the eichel or reino trades would bring back exciting forwards to watch.

Just now, Mustache of God said:

I'm trying to hold judgement until the trade is announced but this seems like the worst case scenario. The timing of this deal also strikes me as weird, why have it leaked at midnight and then have movement? Are they getting our 1st 2nd round pick? 

Im also curious to know what the hell the plan is for our roster this upcoming season. We've lost 90% of our toughness in risto and borgen and now Sam leaves a gaping hole on offense. There are no free agents that I want the sabres to overpay for and I was hoping the eichel or reino trades would bring back exciting forwards to watch.

There is no situation where we don’t end up drafting in the top 3 next year. The tank is on. 

• Like (+1) 1

The roster as currently constructed is worthy of tanking, I don't think that can be disputed. We've seen the Ristolainen return, we've seen what the Reinhart trade (might - all pieces still not final) looks like, we've definitely taken a last place team and made them significantly worse while adding nothing of relevance so far for next season. 

Are we still expecting the Eichel deal to be futures? If so, what other bullets does Adams have for supplementing this roster in an effort to win next season? Do we have other trade assets that will fetch these players, where Reinhart and Risto so far have not?

In my estimation there isn't a likely avenue for attempting to compete next season, if this Reinhart deal holds true, and Eichel is shipped for futures. The maneuvering of the pieces at this point in time to me looks like the intention is to draft high next season. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SDS said:

That’s fine. But let’s not pretend this conversation would be any different seven months from now if the best offer was similar. 

Possibly, but you add the possibility of a bidding war at the deadline or a desperate team making an in season offer like the Vanek deal.  Even if KA's goal is another tank year (yes I said it), by saying no to a bad deal he shows he isn't a pushover and isn't desperate.  Accepting this deal as described says the opposite.

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

Would Adams then be criticized for not being serious about players wanting to be there?

if I have a crystal ball, obviously your scenario is better, assuming he doesn’t blow out a knee. more time with better players on your team is obviously better.

however, I honestly think this type of deal is the easiest part of a GM job. You ask a lot, field offers and take the best one. You don’t need to be a message boards savant to pick the best one.

However, there’s this continuous IV of Hopium, where fans assert in every scenario, that magically always states that what’s behind door number three is always 10 times better than what actually occurred and it’s just the stupidity of everyone involved is the reason why they can’t see it. 

But the Sabres' results are consistently much worse as compared to the rest of the league. We can account for any factor you mention there - the Sabres still make relatively poor decisions. 

This deal looks like a complete stinker. 

I don't know the last time I've called a move a complete stinker, outright. It's bad. 

If, if, the rumored deal is true (not going to get quote-burned here haha)

Edited by Thorny

They’re probably hoping to replicate what the Bills did, tearing it down to the studs to build “culture first,” then slowly adding pieces who buy into that culture.  

The problem is that you need to acquire the right pieces and have a plan to evaluate and develop them.  You need a quality scouting program and you need to hit on several key acquisitions.  Not sure they’ve got the right team for that approach.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

The lottery exists

I'm pretty sure you can only fall 2 spots now

Just now, Cascade Youth said:

They’re probably hoping to replicate what the Bills did, tearing it down to the studs to build “culture first,” then slowly adding pieces who buy into that culture.  

The problem is that you need to acquire the right pieces and have a plan to evaluate and develop them.  You need a quality scouting program and you need to hit on several key acquisitions.  Not sure they’ve got the right team for that approach.

So why hire the coach who has endlessly touted Sam's maturity and leadership skills? Does KA disagree that would be useful for his young roster next season? If so, why is there such a disconnect with Granato?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.