Pick #1: D Owen Power (University of Michigan)

Hoss

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Wow.  That was a great video.   Serious Nick Lidstrom-type Jedi offensive zone manipulation.  I didn’t know Power had that kind of game.

Now I’m pretty psyched.  

Pretty sure someone could have put together a similar, but even more impressive video on Dahlin using clips strictly from from the Sharks game.

I know there are many ways people can take that, but I’m sure it’s true. The way Dahlin was carrying and moving the puck using subtle signals to create space was sublime.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Pretty sure someone could have put together a similar, but even more impressive video on Dahlin using clips strictly from from the Sharks game.

I know there are many ways people can take that, but I’m sure it’s true. The way Dahlin was carrying and moving the puck using subtle signals to create space was sublime.

Well, you'll certainly get no argument from me as to Dahlin's offensive upside, which I think surpasses Power's, or his growth this year under DG.  I just didn't think that Power was the kind of player who could put that much pressure on the opposing D (which is not as much as Dahlin can apply, but still potentially a high amount).  That video made me think that the Sabres could have 2 guys with that kind of capability, which could be transformational.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Power didn’t record a point this weekend as Michigan swept UMass but he was very good. His stick use to break up plays and hand-eye coordination are very underrated.

I have never seen him pressured into rushing a play and making a wrong decision with the puck. So calm and smooth.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Personal 

Lol I had power 5th in my rankings so I'm not a professional 

To your credit although you didn't have him on top of your draft board you have been more than fair in assessing his play in college. And to your credit you have been more than fair in breaking down his game and how he has evolved as a player. You are an example of an evaluator who is open-minded enough to not skew one's later views in order to fit one's original evaluation. That should be acknowledged and saluted. 🍺

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, you'll certainly get no argument from me as to Dahlin's offensive upside, which I think surpasses Power's, or his growth this year under DG.  I just didn't think that Power was the kind of player who could put that much pressure on the opposing D (which is not as much as Dahlin can apply, but still potentially a high amount).  That video made me think that the Sabres could have 2 guys with that kind of capability, which could be transformational.

This is where I'm at, lately, in thinking about it. If we are to become good, I think that'll be the avenue. Provided Levi (or someone) manages to develop into a no-nonsense NHL starter. 

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

Wait till Sabres have both! 

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, dudacek said:

Did people catch Adams interview on the Levi/Power Team Canada news?

All but confirmed without confirming that Power is coming here as soon as Michigan is done.

Wait, you mean the 1st overall pick in the draft is going to burn a year of his ELC getting to real money on the same timeline as if he played here all year (minus ELC bonuses he likely would've qualified for playing in Buffalo rather than Ann Arbor) and not stay in school 2 more years to be able to become an UFA at that time.

Where's Liger's Frye meme:  Shocked, ... well, not that shocked   when you need it?  😉

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.