Pick #1: D Owen Power (University of Michigan)

Hoss

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Back to the least-hyped #1 overall pick in Buffalo Sabres history...

Jack Quinn is not the only player to be putting up some amazing numbers. Owen Power's 23 points in 16 games is the best PPG production by an NCAA U20 defenceman in 35 years.

More than Brian Leetch, Adam Fox, Chris Chelios, Quinn Hughes, Zach Werenski, or any other college notable you can think of since the mid-'80s.

He's not having a good season, he's having an historic season for the modern college era.

Yes but you forget that Power is on a powerhouse team which means Power’s points don’t count because he is being propped up.

However Beniers, Johnson, Brisson, Bordeleau, Hughes etc. all their points count for “reasons” so they are all great prospects.😁

44 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Jack Quinn is not the only player to be putting up some amazing numbers. Owen Power's 23 points in 16 games is the best PPG production by an NCAA U20 defenceman in 35 years.

More than Brian Leetch, Adam Fox, Chris Chelios, Quinn Hughes, Zach Werenski, or any other college notable you can think of since the mid-'80s.

He's not having a good season, he's having an historic season for the modern college era.

But he won't mature to NHL level until he's 25.  Is that correct?

• Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Michigan's entire team is much better than the entire visiting team almost every night. Not sure why pointing that out when looking at stats is a problem. I'm not saying the guy is bad or something. It's just taking the silliness of the stats with a grain of salt. When your team has scored 75 goals in 17 games you'd expect the top line and PP guys to have a decent number of points. Passing to Beniers, Brisson and Johnson is a lot better than passing to a kid who hopes to make it as a UDFA someday.

Do you pump the brakes on the point totals of all players on good teams?

Do Gretzky's records not mean anything because of who he was playing with?

Was Lafontaine not as good as his stats because he played with Mogilny and vice versa? And both padded their stats on the best PP in team history?

Your post basically says I'm not going to get excited by the best numbers in 35 years. What would Power have to be doing to move the needle?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You mean 3rd-ranked Michigan?

And what brakes exactly should I be pumping? There are no opinions in my post, just facts.

Loop Trump GIF

He’s absolutely being hyped to the proper level.  

1) Defenseman have a historically abysmal track record of success being drafted first overall. 

2) Rasmus Dahlin has made all our PPs shrivel up and die inside of our bodies.  He makes me I’ll watching him because he sucks so bad. He put the puck on. The oppositions stick in front of our goalie all alone at least 3 times a game.  

3) Power is playing on a loaded team.  He’s a man among boys.  Hard to get excited when his team is just blasting everyone with a team of college all stars.  

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Do you pump the brakes on the point totals of all players on good teams?

Do Gretzky's records not mean anything because of who he was playing with?

Was Lafontaine not as good as his stats because he played with Mogilny and vice versa? And both padded their stats on the bet PP in team history?

Your post basically says I'm not going to get excited by the best numbers in 35 years. What would Power have to be doing to move the needle?

Rasmus Dahlin is putting up historic numbers.  His game makes me want to blow my head off. 

28 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Michigan's entire team is much better than the entire visiting team almost every night. Not sure why pointing that out when looking at stats is a problem. I'm not saying the guy is bad or something. It's just taking the silliness of the stats with a grain of salt. When your team has scored 75 goals in 17 games you'd expect the top line and PP guys to have a decent number of points. Passing to Beniers, Brisson and Johnson is a lot better than passing to a kid who hopes to make it as a UDFA someday.

T

29 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I have to disagree he is a difference  maker every game he does the little  Things that go unnoticed and just a beast maybe you'll change your mind when he looks like an NHL vs kids in the world jrs 

27 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

If you want to take it in a negative way you can, that's fine. I think Lemieux was as good as Gretzky and his point totals were hurt by the teams he played on for a long time.

I'm not understanding why this is controversial. Obviously playing with other really good players helps. It doesn't mean you are less good but does Gretzky score 200+ points in a season if he's not playing with those players? I dunno. Gretzky wouldn't really be the one I'd ask about anyway. It would be Paul Coffey. Coffey was an amazing player, but does he put up those early career numbers if he was playing in Hartford? I kinda doubt it.

It's nice that Power is producing the way you'd expect on a team like that and pulling his weight on a great team. I'm not putting a lot of stock in the historic numbers right now. That doesn't, by any means mean I'm discounting him as a player just like I don't think you are trying to say he's a better player than Brian Leetch because of these 16 games.

The bold is what i am having trouble with.

He is leading his team in scoring as a defenceman. That deserves more than 'pulling his weight.'

And he is having the best season in 35 years. Is that really just "the way you'd expect"?

FInally, Michigan is loaded, but I wish people would stop talking about them them like they are the '77 Canadiens. They are loaded with high picks, but they are also just the 3rd-ranked team in the country. Maybe that's where the brakes need to be pumped.

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

Loop Trump GIF

1) Defenseman have a historically abysmal track record of success being drafted first overall. 

2) Rasmus Dahlin has made all our PPs shrivel up and die inside of our bodies.  He makes me I’ll watching him because he sucks so bad. He put the puck on. The oppositions stick in front of our goalie all alone at least 3 times a game.  

3) Power is playing on a loaded team.  He’s a man among boys.  Hard to get excited when his team is just blasting everyone with a team of college all stars.  

This post captures exactly why I think there is no hype for Power.

Buffalo fans are so bruised and shriveled from past disappointment, they look for reasons not to believe.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, inkman said:

Loop Trump GIF

Rasmus Dahlin is putting up historic numbers.  His game makes me want to blow my head off. 

Sorry @Derrico I flat out refuse to get excited about this kid.  The Sabres last decade has ruined me.  I don’t care if he’s scoring 10 goals a game, banging the opposing coaches mom and is hung like an elephant.  There is nothing he can do to make me excited.  

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Sorry @Derrico I flat out refuse to get excited about this kid.  The Sabres last decade has ruined me.  I don’t care if he’s scoring 10 goals a game, banging the opposing coaches mom and is hung like an elephant.  There is nothing he can do to make me excited.  

Oh come on, I saw you twitch when you got to "hung link an elephant."

I'm enjoying the fact that Power is under-hyped. It is refreshing to not be overwhelmed with bombast about the next "generational player" that we've drafted.  It will be refreshing to not hear over and over again about how much we don't understand his game and that he's trending elite when he's contributing to losing.

And if he were 5'11" the hype train would have been rolling for months now.

I think that covers all the prospect memes in one post.  Feel free to add if I've missed any.

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Weave said:

I'm enjoying the fact that Power is under-hyped. It is refreshing to not be overwhelmed with bombast about the next "generational player" that we've drafted.  It will be refreshing to not hear over and over again about how much we don't understand his game and that he's trending elite when he's contributing to losing.

And if he were 5'11" the hype train would have been rolling for months now.

I think that covers all the prospect memes in one post.  Feel free to add if I've missed any.

I honestly feel this.

They have been so bad for so long that I just don’t want to hear about the hyped up superstar who is going to save the team.  Been there, done that.

Give me a group of good players who work hard.  If any of them really do become great players, fantastic, but no one should be preordained.

So, yes, I’m also glad that Power is not getting hyped too much, and I also hope that the team doesn’t win the lottery the next couple years.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I honestly feel this.

They have been so bad for so long that I just don’t want to hear about the hyped up superstar who is going to save the team.  Been there, done that.

Give me a group of good players who work hard.  If any of them really do become great players, fantastic, but no one should be preordained.

So, yes, I’m also glad that Power is not getting hyped too much, and I also hope that the team doesn’t win the lottery the next couple years.

Yeah, none of that was tongue in cheek.  We've worshipped so many lottery tickets.  Tired of it.

• Like (+1) 2

If he wasn't producing everybody would yelling "BUST! TOLD YOU THEY SHOULDA TAKEN BENIERS!!! blah blah blah Luke Hughes is better!!"

In reality he's exceeding expectations and those same folks are now saying "OH HE's ON A SUPER TEAM, HE'S NOT THAT GOOD, HIS TEAM IS PROPPING UP HIS STATS!!!"

He could become the first player in history to win World Championship and WJC gold before playing a single game in the NHL.    

He's an exceptional prospect, let's enjoy the ride. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.