Rasmus Ristolainen traded to Philadelphia for LHD Hagg, 2021 1st (14), and a 2023 2nd

Thorny

Just now, WildCard said:

I mean, that is simply amazing. Can we archive posts? I need that saved.

It really is. I mean, I know someone has to be last, and its more likely for one person to be last in a few of those categories. But to be last in so many AND still have people think you're good? Its incredible.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is a great deal, I’m not saying otherwise. It’s a lottery ticket, though.

13th overalls from 2004-2013:

Drew Stafford, Marek Zagrapan, Jiri Tlusty, Lars Eller, Colton Teubert, Zack Kassian, Brandon Gormley, Sven Bartschi, Radek Faksa, Josh Morrissey.

That is a terrible list.

I get the point you're making, and while I agree this list isn't really all that accurate/useful. There are plenty of guys drafted after 13 that hit. It's not as simple as saying this 13 = those 13s, or 13s historically are lottery tickets.

23 minutes ago, inkman said:

I still want someone that punches people in the face 

I'm a lover and not a fighter, as you know Inky, but for 13th overall and a 2nd rounder and some other guy for Risto ... I'll jump on to the ice stark raving naked and punch some sucker in the face for you.

12 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  Watching this season circle the drain.  But '23-'24, they're there.

In my best Carlin, "Where?"

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I'll admit it -- I was completely wrong about Ristolainen's value.

Did you think he was worth virtually nothing now with a long shot at something in the distant sports future? If so you weren't wrong.

Just now, Eleven said:

I'm not down on it.  It's just blah-tastic.

You are so burnt out my friend.  I understand. 

It will get better.  Or we need to get together for a drink... if you still do those kinds of things. 🙂

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, WildCard said:

I get the point you're making, and while I agree this list isn't really all that accurate/useful. There are plenty of guys drafted after 13 that hit. It's not as simple as saying this 13 = those 13s, or 13s historically are lottery tickets.

No, it’s accurate and useful. Those are the guys drafted at 13. It doesn’t matter who has gone after them because we got pick 13. You can’t say “well, I got the winning lottery ticket because my numbers were all one off.” You get the lottery ticket you get.

This isn’t shading the trade. It’s just providing context.

13 minutes ago, Weave said:

We’re going to bitch and moan about Hagg and the pick is a coin toss to actually replace Risto.

Meh.  But about what I expected.  Hoped for a legit 3-4 D man that was actually tough instead of wanna be tough and offensively talented. Not to be I guess.

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yep.  Watching this season circle the drain.  But '23-'24, they're there.

I feel your pain gentlemen.

But the bed was made.  Risto was almost certainly not re-signing here unless a semi-miraculous turnaround occurred.  So this was the right asset management move, and KA got more value than I think most here expected (including me).

It also looks like KA is sticking with his "I only want guys who want to be here" approach -- hello, @Thorny

They still need a few roughnecks who are both nasty and good enough to play big roles.

I'll miss Risto and wish him well, although not for the GD Flyers.

Onward.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

So what is the primary difference between Risto and Ghost?  Risto hits people, yah?

Well, he plays a lot of minutes. This is indisputable. 

People can read those minutes in a multitude of ways. 

Bidding wars cause the cream to rise to the top 

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I'm a lover and not a fighter, as you know Inky, but for 13th overall and a 2nd rounder and some other guy for Risto ... I'll jump on to the ice stark raving naked and punch some sucker in the face for you.

I’d pay to see that 

Just now, Thorny said:

Well, he plays a lot of minutes. This is indisputable. 

People can read those minutes in a multitude of ways. 

Bidding wars cause the cream to rise to the top 

Oh my cream rose to the top 

jizz GIF

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

No, it’s accurate and useful. Those are the guys drafted at 13. It doesn’t matter who has gone after them because we got pick 13. You can’t say “well, I got the winning lottery ticket because my numbers were all one off.” You get the lottery ticket you get.

This isn’t shading the trade. It’s just providing context.

Except it honestly is arguably 14 lol

If the specifics of the position are relevant to your argument, those specifics can actually be questioned in this case

I don't like Hagg's game all that much. I know Philly fans were completely underwhelmed by him. (Reading the thread, it appears his analytics match that.) But a change of scenery and playing 3rd pairing minutes for the start of this season seems fine for the short-term. I do like that Ristolainen netted a 1st, which he wasn't fetching as a rental at the trade deadline.

On the Philly side -- this is a good move for them. They just got Ryan Ellis as a RHD. Ristolainen is not better than Ellis in any capacity except hits. So he fits nicely as a 2nd-pair guy for them with either Provorov or Sanheim. Good deal on their part.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Well, he did for Buffalo. He's 2nd pair at best in Philly with Ellis and Provorov there so his minutes will go down.

No doubt they are probably thinking and planning for exactly this

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.