Rasmus Ristolainen traded to Philadelphia for LHD Hagg, 2021 1st (14), and a 2023 2nd

Thorny

11 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

I find it hard to believe they got that much for Risto but then again I always liked him and think the team will sadly miss his aggressiveness. We are a far too easy team to play against and without Risto there is no one to hit anybody. It is a good return mind you and I have no doubt Risto will do really well in Philly (and we have to face him a bunch of times which won't be fun)

i think he needed to go. i was one who wanted to keep him cause now this is the softest team in the nhl if they werent before. Only guy on our roster that had any grit. On the other hand a 1st round pick coming back is a lot more than i thought we would get

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Weave said:

We’re going to bitch and moan about Hagg and the pick is a coin toss to actually replace Risto.

Meh.  But about what I expected.  Hoped for a legit 3-4 D man that was actually tough instead of wanna be tough and offensively talented. Not to be I guess.

Yep.  Watching this season circle the drain.  But '23-'24, they're there.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

We’re going to bitch and moan about Hagg and the pick is a coin toss to actually replace Risto.

Meh.  But about what I expected.  Hoped for a legit 3-4 D man that was actually tough instead of wanna be tough and offensively talented. Not to be I guess.

It's been only positive things about this deal! With good reason

There's certainly an argument for being uneasy with it. Reasonable chance we are a weaker team next season because of it, correct? One might view the deal in those terms. 

As already stated it cannot be questioned that in terms of perceived market value it looks like a home run 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

Maybe GMKA will take Philly's 2nd rounder next year in 2023 and use that to move up from #14 this year into the top 10...or even 5?  Dreger seemed to imply that Risto was the most likely to be moved today....I was skeptical anything would happen...so much for my gut feel.

Whoops, wrong year.

Edited by Carmel Corn

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

Maybe GMKA will take Philly's 2nd rounder next year and use that to move up from #14 this year into the top 10...or even 5?  Dreger seemed to imply that Risto was the most likely to be moved today....I was skeptical anything would happen...so much for my gut feel.

It’s actually a 2023 second.

For the record while it feels like we fleeced them this is what a trade for someone like Risto should look like. As @Weavepointed out two of these things are lottery tickets (one is a very good one) and the other is a defensemen we probably won’t love. But it’s good value for a player in Risto who is flawed but should thrive on the first competitive team he’s played on in the pros.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Getting the #13 overall for Risto would be incredible, let alone another 2nd. Shows that Risto does indeed have value, and protecting him over Will Borgen was the right move. All of you that freaked out over that, look at what we just got for Risto.

But! But! But!

If this deal was made before the freeze the Sabres could have still protected Borgen keeping him and letting someone else go instead

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Hoss said:

For the record while it feels like we fleeced them this is what a trade for someone like Risto should look like. As @Weavepointed out two of these things are lottery tickets (one is a very good one) and the other is a defensemen we probably won’t love. But it’s good value for a player in Risto who is flawed but should thrive on the first competitive team he’s played on in the pros.

Yes, but also this is a rental deal, he’s only there for a year unless he re-signs in Philly.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Lol anyone mad about us getting a 1st for Ristolainen, a player who was never going to sign here, is just hilarious to me. 

That's the best part of all of this. Philly paid a lot for what really could just be a ***** rental 

Just now, Hoss said:

We only think 14th overall is a lottery ticket because we've drafted like crap for a decade. Risto was 1 year from UFA. What a haul by our GM

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Said the exact same thing as me and mine "didn't matter"

😄

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

But! But! But!

If this deal was made before the freeze the Sabres could have still protected Borgen keeping him and letting someone else go instead

I know you're joking but this deal wasn't getting made before the freeze.

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.