Rasmus Ristolainen traded to Philadelphia for LHD Hagg, 2021 1st (14), and a 2023 2nd

Thorny

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

No, it’s accurate and useful. Those are the guys drafted at 13. It doesn’t matter who has gone after them because we got pick 13. You can’t say “well, I got the winning lottery ticket because my numbers were all one off.” You get the lottery ticket you get.

This isn’t shading the trade. It’s just providing context.

It's not accurate. The same guys that are making this decision didn't make those decisions. The players available aren't the same, the needs aren't the same. 

Yeah the further you go down the draft the lower the odds get of hitting, but comparing specific draft slots historically doesn't make since in my opinion. Compare a grouping, say 3-5 picks at a time, since teams usually have those all graded similarly and it just depends on what the team directly ahead of you needs to what's available is more accurate. 

This chart displays that. It's not a linear degradation on a pick-to-pick basis, there are groupings. https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/

image.thumb.png.0b6bc191263bd6361e4b9b49fb250a60.png

Edited by WildCard

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is a great deal, I’m not saying otherwise. It’s a lottery ticket, though.

13th overalls from 2004-2013:

Drew Stafford, Marek Zagrapan, Jiri Tlusty, Lars Eller, Colton Teubert, Zack Kassian, Brandon Gormley, Sven Bartschi, Radek Faksa, Josh Morrissey.

That is a terrible list.

But who are all the 14th overalls? Because that's the important thing. 🍺😇

11 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I feel your pain gentlemen.

But the bed was made.  Risto was almost certainly not re-signing here unless a semi-miraculous turnaround occurred.  So this was the right asset management move, and KA got more value than I think most here expected (including me).

It also looks like KA is sticking with his "I only want guys who want to be here" approach -- hello, @Thorny

They still need a few roughnecks who are both nasty and good enough to play big roles.

I'll miss Risto and wish him well, although not for the GD Flyers.

Onward.

Nicely in context. It is what it is.

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Are people really trying to complain about this deal?  OMG. the same people who wanted to trow him away in Expansion.  I thought all the message board experts said he was only worth a 3rd or 4th round pick.  

True. It's a good trade on paper. But it's just the first shot of medicine we have to take. It's more bitter than sweet to me.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Are people really trying to complain about this deal?  OMG. the same people who wanted to trow him away in Expansion.  I thought all the message board experts said he was only worth a 3rd or 4th round pick.  

I read on this site that people didn't give a ***** what we got. The NHL people don't value players the way this board does.

WOW!  I'm honestly shocked.  If we have to trade Risto, I think we did very well.  Kudos to KA.  I actually really like Hagg and think he'll be a good fit here.  Also the 13th overall pick is a solid pick in this draft.  A few good centers like Lucius, Sillinger, Raty and Svechkov will be available here.   

Anyone still angry we protected Risto over Borgen?  Didn't think so.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

WOW!  I'm honestly shocked.  If we have to trade Risto, I think we did very well.  Kudos to KA.  I actually really like Hagg and think he'll be a good fit here.  Also the 13th overall pick is a solid pick in this draft.  A few good centers like Lucius, Sillinger, Raty and Svechkov will be available here.   

This mock has us taking Chaz Lucius. 

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's not accurate. The same guys that are making this decision didn't make those decisions. The players available aren't the same, the needs aren't the same. 

Yeah the further you go down the draft the lower the odds get of hitting, but comparing specific draft slots historically doesn't make since in my opinion. Compare a grouping, say 3-5 picks at a time, since teams usually have those all graded similarly and it just depends on what the team directly ahead of you needs to what's available is more accurate. 

This chart displays that. It's not a linear degradation on a pick-to-pick basis, there are groupings. https://dobberprospects.com/2020/05/16/nhl-draft-pick-probabilities/

image.thumb.png.0b6bc191263bd6361e4b9b49fb250a60.png

It’s accurate. It’s the 13th overall picks. There is no arguing that it’s a fact. Whether or not it needs added context is debatable but I say it does not because there are many variables in play that led to those players being the 13th overall pick in their draft. There will likely be better players taken after 13 this year, as well.

After hearing Risto rumors for the past 4 years:

The Lord Of The Rings Mueller Report GIF by reactionseditor

Great value on the trade imo, still a bit sad/nostalgic. Risto had so many awesome moments as a Sabre. Also sad because it really seems like Reinhart and Eichel are going with him. Just a waste of six, maybe even eight years of Sabres hockey.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

It’s accurate. It’s the 13th overall picks. There is no arguing that it’s a fact. Whether or not it needs added context is debatable but I say it does not because there are many variables in play that led to those players being the 13th overall pick in their draft. There will likely be better players taken after 13 this year, as well.

Your point was that it's a lottery selection, I think a lot of factors determine how likely you are at succeeding in that lottery. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.