Linus Ullmark: Rumors and discussion

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

If one goaltender spot is strong enough to turn a 39 point team into a 90 point team, they don't need to upgrade that spot, and any attempt to is begging for failure 

Sorry, I just can't agree with this, especially when the team is going to trade Eichel and has the opportunity to get an absolute stud as part of the return.

9 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

And if we don’t sign him? Next season might already be in doubt 

Exactly. You have to crawl before you can walk. Let the crawl start with Ullmark. It's a nice start. Why does signing him preclude them from signing another good or even better goalie?

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Sorry, I just can't agree with this, especially when the team is going to trade Eichel and has the opportunity to get an absolute stud as part of the return.

That's literally the only avenue you can guarantee an upgrade on Linus imo. Now which team is adding eichel and ditching their stud goalie at the same time?

1 minute ago, SDS said:

My dataless impression is that keepers changing teams, more often than not, fail to meet expectations.

Often, but not always.  Not even sure it's a majority of times.

Bobrovski was 'meh' in Filly & great in C-bus & Florida.

Dubnyk was a train wreck in Edmonton but very solid by the time he got to Minnesota.

Bishop, Fleury, Grubauer, & Varlamov have all been very good at multiple stops.  Just to name a few.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Yeah, when Hasek left the Blackhawks, he just kind of disappeared, innit?

This isn’t even mildly funny to be a joke. My only guess is that it is a smart ass remark, but that wouldn’t make sense because you would have to literally disregard the actual comment to make such an utterly pointless remark. 

6 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

And if we don’t sign him? Next season might already be in doubt 

Then they need 2 goalies.  

The good news is they're apparently in discussions w Linus, so we know it isn't a hard no (at least not yet) from Ullmark's camp.

This is the longest soon to be announced signing ever.  Not surprising considering the source.

19 hours ago, tom webster said:

The couple signings of Florida goalie and Carolina goalie( sorry not sure of either spelling ) lowered Linus’ expectations. Deal should be done today.

The silence on the signing if deafening.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is the longest soon to be announced signing ever.  Not surprising considering the source.

The silence on the signing if deafening.

I don't think anyone would look twice if it was just Eklund who said it. We trust Tom. You need to learn some patience. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Then they need 2 goalies.  

The good news is they're apparently in discussions w Linus, so we know it isn't a hard no (at least not yet) from Ullmark's camp.

I think we'll be getting a goalie back via one of the Eichel, Reino, or Risto trades. Or signing a FA. There's no way Tokarski or Hauser should ever be considered to be in net again.

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You mean the day he was promoted to GM with no experience, no training and no knowledge of how to run a hockey team.

Only if you meant you ran out of patience with him a year ago rather than a decade ago.

Management has been in place ~1 year; not a decade.

44 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My patience with this management team ended a decade ago.

While that is reasonable, I mean literal patience for the immediate set of moves. You are days, if not weeks or months, premature on concluding that the Sabres have decided not to do anything this offseason.

• nfreeman changed the title to Eklund Rumor: Ullmark Re-signed?
3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

TP has owned the team for a decade plus.  

He & his wife have been OWNERS that long.

They've had a long series of unsuccessful presidents & GMs under them actually MANAGING the operation.   And the current manager has been in place ~1 year; his team significantly less.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You mean the day he was promoted to GM with no experience, no training and no knowledge of how to run a hockey team.

Everything you said about his inexperience is accurate. But starting off with the firing of Krueger he has done a number of positive things. He elevated Granato as an interim HC, and then made him the HC. In my opinion that was the right thing to do. He hired Karmonos to support him in his office. That was a good hire. He hired a respected stat analyst. Tonight's draft selection should be sound. 

Where I am holding my judgment, as I'm sure you are, is getting a credible return for the shipped out players. For me that is the big measuring stick. Added to the list that you are known to stress is how he addresses the goaltending situation. My point is let's wait a little longer before offering a scathing review.  

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think anyone would look twice if it was just Eklund who said it. We trust Tom. You need to learn some patience. 

The problem is if Eklund says it's happening then you pretty much know it's not.😀