Linus Ullmark: Rumors and discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I hate quoting Eklund, but he is reporting that Ullmark has been re-signed.  Great job by KA if true.

The couple signings of Florida goalie and Carolina goalie( sorry not sure of either spelling ) lowered Linus’ expectations. Deal should be done today.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

The couple signings of Florida goalie and Carolina goalie( sorry not sure of either spelling ) lowered Linus’ expectations. Deal should be done today.

This is fantastic news!

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I get that. I guess for me only improvement moves the needle

I think that is perfectly reasonable.  Keeping Ullmark is in some ways the status quo.  We need another quality goalie so that we hopefully aren't forced to use UPL and Tokarski to much next season.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Neither. 

Maintaining the status quo. I'm more interested in who the other goalie they bring in is. 

While I strongly agree another goalie is a necessity, there was/is no better goalie on the market than Linus. There was a very good chance our goaltending was going to go backwards this summer.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

While I strongly agree another goalie is a necessity, there was/is no better goalie on the market than Linus. There was a very good chance our goaltending was going to go backwards this summer.

Definitely good news. Just not excited by it, if that makes sense. I'd now be excited by a second capable goalie being added to the mix. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

Definitely good news. Just not excited by it, if that makes sense. I'd now be excited by a second capable goalie being added to the mix. 

I hear you, and know I rate Linus much higher than most of the board.

But to me he is a core player who is about to blossom into one of the league’s best and the thought of losing him is just a half-step below Reinhart on the suckitude scale.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, maybe protecting the non-controlled goalie was a good move?

Would seem that way.

Now get another goalie.

Desperately need another goalie.  Ullmark should be a backup.

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, dudacek said:

But to me he is a core player who is about to blossom into one of the league’s best and the thought of losing him is just a half-step below Reinhart on the suckitude scale.

When it's official it'll be 1 of the 5 I'd prefer to be back actually being back.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Didn't we debate some time ago Anderson vs Ullmark with you telling me Anderson was better or was at LGR?

Just now, TheCerebral1 said:

Quoting Eklund as a source, is as accurate as tossing a lawn dart into the air and hitting ground.  He tosses it up and if it lands on the ground, that means it's happening according to that goof. 

I did put a "?" in the thread title after all.

6 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Ullmark is a 90 point goalie on the last 2 sabres teams, as bad as they are. He's better than you give credit for, and his main issue is health 

I don't think you can ignore his injuries.  We relied on him last year and it burned us.  KA better not make that obvious mistake two years in a row.  I'm fine bringing Ullmark back but we need a good #2 to push him or not light the season on fire if he is hurt....again....

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

26/20/6 with the Sabres.

Are you saying that with a “real” starter the past two years we were a playoff team?

That's the thing about Linus. He's gotta make the starts. 

Adams doesn't even get the benefit of searching for a backup expected to play behind a locked in starter - given the injury history, the backup needs to be capable of making the starts, too.