NHL Fire Sale: Roster Freeze Ends, 1pm eastern, 7/22

LGR4GM

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If it's Minnesota, as the many rumours suspect, what salary do we take on? Dumba? Is their D good enough without him to just dump his salary? I'm thinking no. After the buyouts not sure who they'd want to shed . 

Unless it's spectacular in return, if we trade away the 1st to either Seattle or Anaheim I'm done.  And if it is Seattle I'm definitely a Kraken fan.

I sure hope we look different. If next to nothing happens it'll be a mess. 

If the Sabres move down 1 or 2 slots, still get the guy they think is the best player and pick up an additional asset; I’ll be impressed and my faith may be restored after the expansion draft debacle. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jsb said:

If as reported we are trading Risto, Reinhart, Eichel and possibly others for young prospects and draft choices are we in denial that this is the beginning of TANK 2 day?? Does anyone actually believe we'll be a playoff team or contender this coming year?? Last season was a disaster from injuries to the under reported Covid outbreak  to the veteran pickups not leading the young guys to XHCRK being incapable of turning around the team after things started going wrong to the season ending Adams and Eichel and others speaking out at the press conference. Whatever the reasons Tank 1 failed and there does appear to be many questions as to who is to blame with the fanbase.

On the optimistic side as opposed to the wasting of assets and the total barren organizational talent left afterwards of Tank 1 we do seem to have the possibility that Mitts, Dahlin, Cozens, Joki, Ruosto, Samuelsson, Bryson, Quinn, JJP, Asplund and Thompson and this years draft class will keep us afloat until these mythological prospects and future saviors develop. Tank 2 unfortunately appears to be starting where Tank 1 should have. This years trade returns, this years draft and lets not fool ourselves next years draft should be the start of finally getting this organization back on its feet again. We can only hope they don't fail again. 

I agree except for one important distinction.  It’s not a tank unless they are intentionally bad.  This team is shaping up to be bad because the players are young and haven’t reached their peaks yet.  I would call it a rebuild, not a tank.

Has Ottawa been tanking the past few years?

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

Seattle looks like they're tanking for Wright if anyone

Unless Seattle is going to really wheel and deal today, that team reminds me so much of the Botteril era in Buffalo. Cutesy little moves without addressing big issues. 

37 minutes ago, inkman said:

If the Sabres move down 1 or 2 slots, still get the guy they think is the best player and pick up an additional asset; I’ll be impressed and my faith may be restored after the expansion draft debacle. 

I would be somewhat surprised if they moved down but anything is possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think the wild make the most sense. They need Eichel and they need him ASAP. 

My issue is that they have MILLIONS in dead cap for 3 years after this one. IMPO I think Dumba or Fiala is part of the deal because that gives you either 6mil or probably 6mil (for fiala) in cap relief. As to adding a young defender back for them, it would not be Samuelsson IMPO but someone like Laaksonen or Bryson. Laaksonen would be a hard loss because I think he's just about NHL ready and is a righty. Bryson IMPO is expendable. 

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I hate the idea of losing Samuelsson.  He’s the one kid in the organization that I am excited about.

But he’s not untouchable for sure.

Well, if you want to get anything of value for a bum like Eichel you'd better expect to see some good young potential go out the door as well.  😕

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Curt said:

I agree except for one important distinction.  It’s not a tank unless they are intentionally bad.  This team is shaping up to be bad because the players are young and haven’t reached their peaks yet.  I would call it a rebuild, not a tank.

Has Ottawa been tanking the past few years?

Correct...we just stink

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

Give me Boldy and Rossi

I think to get both you gotta toss them something back. A sweetner if you will, Rousek, Weissbach, Ruuotsolainen 

Just someone young and cheap they can plug into their team who will be cheap for a few years. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think to get both you gotta toss them something back. A sweetner if you will, Rousek, Weissbach, Ruuotsolainen 

Just someone young and cheap they can plug into their team who will be cheap for a few years. 

I'd throw any of those in there in a heartbeat to get both back.

Weissbach has been at Wisconsin for 4 years...is that going to turn into a Jimmy Vesey situation?

58 minutes ago, inkman said:

What expansion draft debacle are you referring to? The loss of Borgen who is a third pairing defenseman? If that has you in a state of despair then you are simply too fragile. 

Too many people are coming up with these exotic draft day scenarios. It's an example of one's imagination running amok. The Sabres are going to use the first pick in the draft to select Power. It will be an obvious decision that is also the right decision. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What expansion draft debacle are you referring to? The loss of Borgen who is a third pairing defenseman? If that has you in a state of despair then you are simply too fragile. 

Too many people are coming up with these exotic draft day scenarios. It's an example of one's imagination running amok. The Sabres are going to use the first pick in the draft to select Power. It will be an obvious decision that is also the right decision. 

The Office Jim GIF

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If it's Minnesota, as the many rumours suspect, what salary do we take on? Dumba? Is their D good enough without him to just dump his salary? I'm thinking no. After the buyouts not sure who they'd want to shed . 

Unless it's spectacular in return, if we trade away the 1st to either Seattle or Anaheim I'm done.  And if it is Seattle I'm definitely a Kraken fan.

I sure hope we look different. If next to nothing happens it'll be a mess. 

If next to nothing happens the roster will look a lot better than if Adams makes every move he wants to 

1 hour ago, jsb said:

Wasn't blaming the fanbase, that was meant to mean who the fanbase blames. 

Trading your 3 best veteran players for futures and draft picks isn't trying to lose?? Tanking is a means to an end and denying the obvious doesn't get us there faster.

I don't think they are trying to lose, but I do think they aren't going to be prioritizing winning, and that could be just as dangerous. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not good at lip reading. What's he saying? 😉

If the Sabres select Power your "the Sabres are going to select Power and it's obvious" bit will still be wrong: why not just say "I think the Sabres are going to select Power and I'll agree with KA it was the correct choice"? 

No one here actually knows who the pick is going to be

^I think that's why he said but I'm not great at lip reading, either 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

If the Sabres select Power your "the Sabres are going to select Power and it's obvious" bit will still be wrong: why not just say "I think the Sabres are going to select Power and I'll agree with KA it was the correct choice"? 

No one here actually knows who the pick is going to be

I'm sticking with what I said and how I said it. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So, if the rumor that it's $40MM total in either scenario, what is saving $714k/yr on the cap worth to them?  If it's any more than a 7th rounder, somewhere the Pegulas continue to smile & say their small prayer of thanks.  😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.