Sabres Post-Draft Depth Chart

GASabresIUFAN

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Power will join the team when Michigan’s season is over, if there is time.

Could also see him in Roch for the playoffs.

I pray this is the plan. Give him the chance to really develop some of those skills he will need for the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

These aren't lines but how I view the hierarchy of the position in the organization based on RFAs and signed players

NHL - Forwards (updated)

Skinner Eichel Olofsson

R2  Mittelstadt Okposo

Hinostroza  Cozens Thompson

Girgensons Asplund  Bjork

Eakin Caggiula

AHL

JJP MacInnis Quinn

Murray Hayden Weissbach

Biro Oglevie Rousek

Pekar Malone

NHL - D

Dahlin  Jokiharju

Bryson Power?

Hagg Miller

Butcher Pysyk

AHL - D

Samuelsson Laaksonen

Davidson Fitzgerald

Schuldt Prow

Goalies

NHL - Anderson, Dell

AHL - UPL, Tokarski,

Anyone I'm missing?

If you go through your list you can find a half a dozen legitimate prospects who should be ready or close to being ready to move up the ranks to the NHL after another year. Those on the list would include Power, Bryson, Johnson, UPL, Samuelsson, Quinn and JJP and maybe  Laaksonen. If you add that group to the young core currently on Buffalo's roster you can see it significantly turning over in another or so. The current core is Dahlin, Joki, Mitts, Thompson, Asplund and Bjork. If you add both groups up the total is more than a dozen players. For the sake of argument let's assume that Jack is traded and we get a high end center prospect such as Rossi, Zegress or Krebs then you can add that player and maybe another player to the mix who should be ready in a year or so. The point I'm making here is that this roster is going to be dramatically turned over after the departure of our old top three core. 

The Sabre front office has a reasonable plan if not the best plan to reconstruct the roster. The rebuilding process is certainly going to be painful in the short term but if done right it won't be as long as many people think. The key is having the fortitude to stick to it.  

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Power will join the team when Michigan’s season is over, if there is time.

Could also see him in Roch for the playoffs.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I pray this is the plan. Give him the chance to really develop some of those skills he will need for the NHL. 

If he signs after Michigan’s season and plays a few game it will likely burn a year of his ELC.  Either sign him and develop him here (or in Rochester) or let him play the season and Michigan and sign him once the NHL season ends.  If Michigan plays for the National Championship the argument is probably moot.  Also I think a college kid can play at season’s end on a PTO without burning a year of the ELC.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If he signs after Michigan’s season and plays a few game it will likely burn a year of his ELC.  Either sign him and develop him here (or in Rochester) or let him play the season and Michigan and sign him once the NHL season ends.  If Michigan plays for the National Championship the argument is probably moot.  Also I think a college kid can play at season’s end on a PTO without burning a year of the ELC.

Nope.  As had said before because of the late start this season a long run into the Frozen Four doesn't keep Power off the Sabres this spring.

One year of that ELC is getting burned.  Don't have the schedule handy, but he might even burn a service year as well.  Frozen 4 ends April 9.  NHL regular season runs pretty much through April.  Could easily see them get to 10 games those last 3 weeks.

Don't want him showing up in April, but pretty sure that's one more thing that yours truly won't be happy about.

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Pretty sure Power’s agents will insist that season gets burned.

15 hours ago, JohnC said:

If you go through your list you can find a half a dozen legitimate prospects who should be ready or close to being ready to move up the ranks to the NHL after another year. Those on the list would include Power, Bryson, Johnson, UPL, Samuelsson, Quinn and JJP and maybe  Laaksonen. If you add that group to the young core currently on Buffalo's roster you can see it significantly turning over in another or so. The current core is Dahlin, Joki, Mitts, Thompson, Asplund and Bjork. If you add both groups up the total is more than a dozen players. For the sake of argument let's assume that Jack is traded and we get a high end center prospect such as Rossi, Zegress or Krebs then you can add that player and maybe another player to the mix who should be ready in a year or so. The point I'm making here is that this roster is going to be dramatically turned over after the departure of our old top three core. 

The Sabre front office has a reasonable plan if not the best plan to reconstruct the roster. The rebuilding process is certainly going to be painful in the short term but if done right it won't be as long as many people think. The key is having the fortitude to stick to it.  

Yep… It will be painful to miss the playoffs absent a miracle… But Granato and the kids proved last season they can play exciting and entertaining… if not playoff caliber… hockey… It will be fun to watch them grow together…

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm sure he will.  That is why I'm advocating to just sign him now and get the full benefit of his 1st year ELC.  

I think playing and dominating in college this year will be better for him than the mess that will be this season.

Other than the kids we saw finish last year, I don’t want a single prospect on the team coming out of training camp.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm sure he will.  That is why I'm advocating to just sign him now and get the full benefit of his 1st year ELC.  

Well, it burns a year of his ELC coming up in April, but unless he gets 10 games in w/ the Sabres it doesn't count as a year of service.  So, IF they can get him enough downtime between the end of Michigan's season & his joining them in April, having him in April rather than October could be better & not just because they'll be keeping him from a tire fire longer.

Really bad year from the Sabres perspective to have the regular season stretch to late April.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.