Sabres in Contract Negotiations with Dahlin

WildCard

• WildCard changed the title to Sabres in Contract Negotiations with Dahlin

Good.

I hope a message is being sent to Rasmus about becoming a leader of this reset core.

Its a message you don’t have to send Dylan, but I think with Ras you are going to have to give him permission. He’s a good kid who may not seize it without permission.

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Ott I not do that?

Oh, I can go all day.

I know you can, and probably into the night(ingale) as well, and things for me would soon get woolley.

Luckily I have an exit strategy: @Taro T, a direct quote from PA in this thread you may have missed:

Brett Hull's goal was not only a "good goal", and, by the strict letter of the law at the time, indisputably legal - it was, by all meaningful and trustworthy accounts the morally correct call, harboring within it both the very essence of the game's spirit, and, with a little digging, the roadmap for ensuring integrity and prosperity for our sport, into the next century and beyond. - SabreFan, PA

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I know you can, and probably into the night(ingale) as well, and things for me would soon get woolley.

Luckily I have an exit strategy: @Taro T, a direct quote from PA in this thread you may have missed:

Not taking the bait.

Should he persist in saying stuff he knows and has admitted is untrue, can just post the link to the last conversation which proves it definitively.  

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Good.

I hope a message is being sent to Rasmus about becoming a leader of this reset core.

Its a message you don’t have to send Dylan, but I think with Ras you are going to have to give him permission. He’s a good kid who may not seize it without permission.

Can’t wait for our new sissified leader who doesn’t touch other players to lead us into the final frontier.  Just fold this team already. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Can’t wait for our new sissified leader who doesn’t touch other players to lead us into the final frontier.  Just fold this team already. 

Give him the C, it'll make it easier to trade him two years from now.

1 minute ago, inkman said:

We don't need Dahlin to be a "leader" we need him to transition the puck away from our zone and into the other team's far more often than he doesn't. He can "lead" the team into the right place (the offensive zone) by doing this. The true grit component you are getting at is something a team definitely needs, in the playoffs it's indisputable. It's an area that I agree needs to be addressed, but I don't need Dahlin specifically to be anything other than our best defenseman. Players that want to be good should be inspired by that. 

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Not taking the bait.

Should he persist in saying stuff he knows and has admitted is untrue, can just post the link to the last conversation which proves it definitively.  

Good lord.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

You go to Hull!

• Haha (+1) 2

Adams should lock Dahlin up to an eight year deal if possible. Heiskanen signed for 8.45 AAV and has outperformed Dahlin since they both entered the league. I think Dahlin would get anywhere between 7.5 - 8.5 AAV. Of course, it's very likely Dahlin will only sign a bridge deal.

The fact he hasn't been as good as Heiskanen (since their rookie years where Rasmus was better) means there is opportunity to get him for less. I don't think anyone really wants to give Dahlin 8.45 right now, but what if we can get him for 6.5 or 7 over 8 years? That's where you take your chances for your bargain, I think - you've set the floor at reasonably attainable with that kind of cap hit. Least in terms of my view of the player

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’d lock him up for 8 years, and bank on him developing more and getting better. I’d throw 6 - 6.5 per at him.

The first 2-3 years would probably be an overpayment.  but after that it should be a fair deal for both sides going forward. 

What are the chances a GM would offer sheet Dahlin just to stick it to the Sabres?  Buffalo has a lot going on right now and they'll be cutting payroll this year.  

If Buffalo doesn't lock him up long term, I'd wonder if Dahlin isn't enamored with the organization either.  H

3 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

What are the chances a GM would offer sheet Dahlin just to stick it to the Sabres?  Buffalo has a lot going on right now and they'll be cutting payroll this year.  

If Buffalo doesn't lock him up long term, I'd wonder if Dahlin isn't enamored with the organization either.  H

Very Very Low

I stopped reading after the first nine words.

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I’d lock him up for 8 years, and bank on him developing more and getting better. I’d throw 6 - 6.5 per at him.

The first 2-3 years would probably be an overpayment.  but after that it should be a fair deal for both sides going forward. 

I think he and his agent would be all over the 8 at 6.5.

He would still be in his prime at the end of it and would likely command, depending on the cap situation and CBA situation at that time, what?

$15 million a season would be my guess.

Edited by New Scotland (NS)

I’m very interested to see how Adams and co. handle the RFA contracts of Dahlin, Mitts, Jokiharju, and even Asplund.

With Thompson, he clearly made a bet on player development.  Will he continue that with these guys?  It’s a risk, but without making these bets a team doesn’t end up with many bargain contracts.

Will we see an 8 year $6-7M deal for Dahlin?  A 4-5 year $3-4M deal for Mitts or $2-3M for Joki?  3-4 years at $1.5M for Asplund?

I’m absolutely in favor or making some longer term bets like this.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.