Borgen is the Seattle expansion pick

LGR4GM

15 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This is fine as long as the risto interest rumors are at least partly correct 

I don't think the Sabres would have protected him if they weren't. I'm feeling pretty good about it given how the market has looked so far.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't think the Sabres would have protected him if they weren't. I'm feeling pretty good about it given how the market has looked so far.

It is playing out exactly like the last draft - it was dumb to, in a vacuum, lose a nice young piece in carrier instead of Ennis, who had been our worst forward and was worth a decent chunk of money - until ennis was a part of the Scandella trade, which was really needed at the time. The net ins and outs worked out, and they probably will here as well

• Like (+1) 5

27 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It is playing out exactly like the last draft - it was dumb to, in a vacuum, lose a nice young piece in carrier instead of Ennis, who had been our worst forward and was worth a decent chunk of money - until ennis was a part of the Scandella trade, which was really needed at the time. The net ins and outs worked out, and they probably will here as well

We haven't even seen the Risto trade yet but all I read here is how we're getting a 3rd round pick and wOoo is us. This place is unbearable at times this offseason while people overreact to moves that haven't even happened. 

Borgen was a 3rd pair defender. If you can't simply replace him the problem isn't losing him, it is your front office literally being the basement level of a dumpster that is on fire and covered in *****. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A world where Will Borgen is simultaneously of significant value AND might be available on waivers is funny to me.

Besides @inkman, I wonder how many on here have seen Borgen play more than a dozen or so games?

I don’t necessarily think he’s that good but he’s everything this team needs right now (and has for a lone time) and they just threw him to the scrap heap.  

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Hot Take- Pearl Jam is way overrated.

It was way downhill after Ten.  Don’t get me wrong, that album defined my senior year of college but I can’t stand anything they did after it.  Soundgarden on the other hand…

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

I don’t necessarily think he’s that good but he’s everything this team needs right now (and has for a lone time) and they just threw him to the scrap heap.  

It was way downhill after Ten.  Don’t get me wrong, that album defined my senior year of college but I can’t stand anything they did after it.  Soundgarden on the other hand…

If physicality missing is the issue. Well I can find that off a waiver wire. Borgen was a promising player but his value, in my opinion, grew with each passing day among many here.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

A world where Will Borgen is simultaneously of significant value AND might be available on waivers is funny to me.

Besides @inkman, I wonder how many on here have seen Borgen play more than a dozen or so games?

Fact: Superman wears Will Borgen underroos.

#legendofwillborgen

Edited by JoeSchmoe

Define "significant."

The 2 propositions aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. 

Will Borgen at present is a 3rd pairing D and he MIGHT be a 2nd pairing stay at home guy.  That could be a valuable commodity for the Sabres (or somebody else) in the near future as the Sabres perennially need at least 1 more good stay at home defenseman than they have.  And '21-'22 is shaping up to follow that pattern as the only healthy SaH D-man they have is a raw rookie (with a great pedigree).

But Seattle just got to take the 4th best (in most cases aka a 2nd pairing) D-man from about 1/2 the league.  So, though the Sabres might miss him, he doesn't necessarily make Seattle's squad.  

Nobody is saying that Borgen will be the 2nd coming of Mike Ramsey nor even Jake McCabe.  But that doesn't mean he would not be useful this season nor that he won't be even more useful the next few seasons.  It's the potential that people are mourning (for lack of a better term).

IF the Sabres take Power, in 2-3 years this could be a very imposing D with 2 (hopefully) studs, 2 solid stay at home guys, & 2 decent puck movers (2 of Jokiharju, Johnson, Bryson, & Pilut) & 2 of those as spares.  Get goaltending & we might have something to work with.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Expect you are wrong.  But we will see who's right in summer '22.

I would love to see him give it another go.  Literally almost everyone who was with the team his go round will be gone, so it will be like a fresh start.

LD could be pretty crowded with young guys who need plying time though.  Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Bryson.  We’ll see.

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Define "significant."

The 2 propositions aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. 

Will Borgen at present is a 3rd pairing D and he MIGHT be a 2nd pairing stay at home guy.  That could be a valuable commodity for the Sabres (or somebody else) in the near future as the Sabres perennially need at least 1 more good stay at home defenseman than they have.  And '21-'22 is shaping up to follow that pattern as the only healthy SaH D-man they have is a raw rookie (with a great pedigree).

But Seattle just got to take the 4th best (in most cases aka a 2nd pairing) D-man from about 1/2 the league.  So, though the Sabres might miss him, he doesn't necessarily make Seattle's squad.  

Nobody is saying that Borgen will be the 2nd coming of Mike Ramsey nor even Jake McCabe.  But that doesn't mean he would not be useful this season nor that he won't be even more useful the next few seasons.  It's the potential that people are mourning (for lack of a better term).

IF the Sabres take Power, in 2-3 years this could be a very imposing D with 2 (hopefully) studs, 2 solid stay at home guys, & 2 decent puck movers (2 of Jokiharju, Johnson, Bryson, & Pilut) & 2 of those as spares.  Get goaltending & we might have something to work with.

We need to improve scoring and goaltending, Power doesn't do any of that. Even moreso if Jack, Sam and Linus leave. Drafting a defenseman with limited offensive abilities makes no sense to me. 

Edited by The Jokeman

3 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

We need to improve scoring and goaltending, Power doesn't do any of that. Even moreso if Jack, Sam and Linus leave. Drafting a defenseman with limited offensive abilities makes no sense to me. 

With the first overall pick I think you take best player regardless of position.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Radar said:

If physicality missing is the issue. Well I can find that off a waiver wire. Borgen was a promising player but his value, in my opinion, grew with each passing day among many here.

Yeah there are a ton of those guys around the league.  When is the last time the Sabres had one let alone several?  Kaleta?  Just freaking entertain me FFS. 

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Borgen and his 14 games is the only guy in this league that could singlehandedly shut down McDavid and take down Chuck Norris in one game.

#legendofwillborgen

Missing the point 

Thankfully our new captain and 10 million dollar player, Rasmus Dahlin is here to figure skate around the rink being gently caressed by Will Farrell.  

Edited by inkman
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

He and Victor Antipin will make a heckuva pair

One of these is still a Sabre property.  One isn't.

Pretty sure 1 will never be back, but the other still has a very real possibility of being back.  Especially when considering that the guy that he was negotiating with who was lowballing him is now an AGM elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Radar said:

With the first overall pick I think you take best player regardless of position.

Do you think St Louis is glad they took Eric Johnson over Jonathan Towels or Phil Kessel in 2006? I'm sorry but the need to score is a bigger need to me. Good to great defenseman only as good as the goalie behind them.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.