Borgen is the Seattle expansion pick

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Is it regular waivers though? Seattle have to field an AHL team. Are there any rules in place that they can send guys down initially without waivers?

It is.

No, there isn't (except for the guys that nobody else has to waive to send down).  That requirement to waive guys above a certain age & experience level is designed to keep (to as much a degree as possible) the best players in the NHL and the developing ones & the tweeners in the A.  Also, could've sworn having read somewhere that Seattle is sharing an AHL squad this year w/ somebody else.  IIRC they're stocking some of the Charlotte Checkers.

They'll have their own farm club the following year. 

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

As well he should have been.

Too bad, oh well.

Now go get a better replacement.

I NEED ONE ***** PLAYER ON THIS ***** ROSTER THAT HITS AND FIGHTS.  THATS ALL I’VE EVER WANTED.  WE FINALLY HAD A GUY AND WE JUST LET HIM WALK.  NOW I GET TO WAIT ANOTHER 20 YEARS TO WATCH A GUY PLAY 15 GAMES AND GET MY HOPES UP ONLY TO LOST HIM TO QUEBEC’S EXPANSION TEAM.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 minute ago, inkman said:

I NEED ONE ***** PLAYER ON THIS ***** ROSTER THAT HITS AND FIGHTS.  THATS ALL I’VE EVER WANTED.  WE FINALLY HAD A GUY AND WE JUST LET HIM WALK.  NOW I GET TO WAIT ANOTHER 20 YEARS TO WATCH A GUY PLAY 15 GAMES AND GET MY HOPES UP ONLY TO LOST HIM TO QUEBEC’S EXPANSION TEAM.  

We'll regret this.  Can't wait until we get a 3rd and middling prospect for Risto now.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LabattBlue said:

So much for the “we want to be tough to play against” mantra.  

Lol yes, losing Will "14 NHL Games" Borgen is really throwing that mantra out the window. 

I get it, it is fashionable to bitch about everything the Sabres do but good lord. We lost our 6th defender... who cares. These team just finished last again in the rankings, you all really think Will Borgen leaving in an expansion draft is going to sick us? Give me a break. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol yes, losing Will "14 NHL Games" Borgen is really throwing that mantra out the window. 

I get it, it is fashionable to bitch about everything the Sabres do but good lord. We lost our 6th defender... who cares. These team just finished last again in the rankings, you all really think Will Borgen leaving in an expansion draft is going to sick us? Give me a break. 

Well we've got 8 years of results with Risto in the lineup.  Let's keep doing the same thing.  It's going well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I get it, it is fashionable to bitch about everything the Sabres do but good lord. 

Says the guy who throws regular tantrums here.  Pot meet kettle. 

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I care.  This team needs players like Borgen in spades.  Every NHL team has them. Our current toughest roster player, Colin Miller the worst dman on the team.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What was Borgen's trade value?  A 4th rd pick?  Risto will easily return a 2nd and remove a 5.4 mill cap liability.

It doesn't really matter what the Sabres could've gotten in trade for Borgen.  What matters is what he was worth to them -- i.e. what they would've accepted in trade for him.  The return for Risto needs to be higher than that.  Otherwise, they made a mistake in exposing Borgen instead of Risto (unless they get Borgen back via waivers).

• Thanks (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Actually looking at our depth chart, we lost our 7th best D man as Samuelsson is a better player, younger, just as tough and has played nearly as many NHL games as Borgen.

We currently have the following D with NHL experience

LHD - Dahlin, Bryson and Samuelsson

RHD - Risto, Jokiharju and Miller

Borgen isn't better then any of these guys.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I can only speak for myself, but my disappointment in Borgen getting selected was stemming more from the fact that he was being developed slowly (or properly, depending on your perspective), and I was curious how he would grow/mature into our d-corps.  He's by no means a savior and losing him is not the end of the world, but our franchise must start developing and inserting these guys into our lineup to start improving over the long haul.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually looking at our depth chart, we lost our 7th best D man as Samuelsson is a better player, younger, just as tough and has played nearly as many NHL games as Borgen.

But if we trade Risto, our "potential NHLers on the right side" list looks like what, Jokiharju...Laaksonen (maybe)? Ya, I'm leaving Miller off that list. At least Borgen had a chance of being an adequate top 6 player. I don't care about losing him really like I said but, let's swap some LHD for RHD. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Except for the fact that Risto will be gone tomorrow and Miller will be gone at the tra de deadline if not sooner. We essentially have Joker at RD and that is a huge problem. Losing Borgen was a significant loss as we have no one to replace him. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I can only speak for myself, but my disappointment in Borgen getting selected was stemming more from the fact that he was being developed slowly (or properly, depending on your perspective), and I was curious how he would grow/mature into our d-corps.  He's by no means a savior and losing him is not the end of the world, but our franchise must start developing and inserting these guys into our lineup to start improving over the long haul.  

Yes I agree.  It's really disappointing that he got hurt last year when he got the chance.  It would have been nice to see him in some extra games. 

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

It is.

No, there isn't (except for the guys that nobody else has to waive to send down).  That requirement to waive guys above a certain age & experience level is designed to keep (to as much a degree as possible) the best players in the NHL and the developing ones & the tweeners in the A.  Also, could've sworn having read somewhere that Seattle is sharing an AHL squad this year w/ somebody else.  IIRC they're stocking some of the Charlotte Checkers.

They'll have their own farm club the following year. 

Splitting Charlotte with the Panthers this season, then Palm Springs full roster next season and likely an ECHL affiliation as well. 

36 minutes ago, inkman said:

IT's all good. We can sign Dalton Smith to an NHL contract again. 🍺   

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You really believe Bryson and Miller are better roster choices than Borgen?

Just now, JohnC said:

Bingo! Compared to what other teams will lose we aught to be thankful. It's rare that having less talent can be advantageous. This is one of those occasions. 

For me it’s similar to losing Carrier. Nice player… Nice depth player… yeah Borgen has slightly more upside… But it’s in a similar neighborhood. For me at least. In other words a player that stung a little bit to lose. But that’s it. Who knows… If Seattle waives him he may be back.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Zamboni said:

For me it’s similar to losing Carrier. Nice player… Nice depth player… yeah Borgen has slightly more upside… But it’s in a similar neighborhood. For me at least. In other words a player that stung a little bit to lose. But that’s it. Who knows… If Seattle waives him he may be back.

...and Carrier has been gone for 3 years now, and who is the equivalent player on the 4th line that replaced him?

11 minutes ago, SDS said:

This discussion has Tim Kennedy written all over it.

More apt and recent comparison would be Brayden McNabb.  Young defenseman we developed and gave up for nothing.  He's had a nice career.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.