Official Sabres Expansion Protection List

Brawndo

35 minutes ago, rakish said:

My argument is that Okposo, Skinner, Eakin, and Miller would each need sweeteners, and the market price for sweeteners will be set by the teams trying to manage their cap, and to try to hold on to their depth. BS have none of those problems, so will find the price of getting rid of Okposo, Skinner, Miller, Eakin too high

Very reasonable take.

As mentioned several times, my guess is Borgen is the target with Miller a possibility.

Had Girgensons not missed all of last year expect his contract wouldn't be too scary and would have him ahead of Miller on likeliness to be selected.  But Miller is a safer bet.

• Like (+1) 2

37 minutes ago, rakish said:

Forgot about McCabe, losing McCabe here is possible

Forgot him as well.

Would be surprised if they make a play for him in their exclusive window.  Could see them talk to him but wait until after the expansion draft to sign him if they had interest.  He won't be ready to go until November or December.  Might as well take Borgen or Miller for free & then try to add Jake if Botterill sells him up to Francis when everybody else can talk to him.

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I know people get mad at me for bringing him up, but don’t forget Lawrence Pilut.

Can't see Seattle grabbing him.  To have him this year they'd have to buy him out of Russia.  

See him back as a Sabre in a year though.

44 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

He is a UFA. But if Seattle negotiate with and sign him during their exclusive UFA window the next few days -- then he's the pick. All unprotected UFAs are in that boat.

Seattle can’t sign him in the exclusive negotiation period because Buffalo protected him.  So he can’t be Seattle’s guy from Buffalo.

I personally expect Seattle to take Borgen and then to flip him to, say, Tampa Bay for cap relief.  A dark horse here, in spite of his price tag, is Zemgus.  Having a Swiss Army Knife for a young line-up could help the team out immensely.

The only excuse I could think of for protecting Ristolainen is that GMKA has a killer trade in the offing for a high first and a top D prospect, so we can afford to lose a pair of defencemen.  I would rather have coerced Seattle into taking Miller by protecting Borgen because there was no way on God's Green Earth that they would take Ristolainen, but that's just my idea of good asset management.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I would have protected Borgen and exposed Risto.

Protecting Risto has got to mean Adams has a deal worked out for him.  That better be the case, or expect Angry NS to show up soon.

I will scream it from a mountain top: in no universe do you expose Risto in favor of Borgen. Borgen is only two years younger but has played just 14 games with zero points. You protect Risto without even thinking for a second about the alternative.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

I will scream it from a mountain top: in no universe do you expose Risto in favor of Borgen. Borgen is only two years younger but has played just 14 games with zero points. You protect Risto without even thinking for a second about the alternative.

I know and understand all that.  I am just so done with Risto.

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I personally expect Seattle to take Borgen and then to flip him to, say, Tampa Bay for cap relief.  A dark horse here, in spite of his price tag, is Zemgus.  Having a Swiss Army Knife for a young line-up could help the team out immensely.

The only excuse I could think of for protecting Ristolainen is that GMKA has a killer trade in the offing for a high first and a top D prospect, so we can afford to lose a pair of defencemen.  I would rather have coerced Seattle into taking Miller by protecting Borgen because there was no way on God's Green Earth that they would take Ristolainen, but that's just my idea of good asset management.

I could see Seattle taking Miller, Borgen, or Girgensons.

Miller is useful as a playable D who can QB a PP2, and also he has been through this process before with an expansion team that ended up having great success, so he will have extra confidence that this can work.

Borgen if they just really like him.

Girgensons if they want a hardworking veteran bottom 6 guy.  Probably least likely.

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I know and understand all that.  I am just so done with Risto.

Same. I have hope he’ll be traded. But that doesn’t mean I’m just letting him walk for nothing when the alternative loss isn’t that big. I have hope for Borgen but I’m not that worried if we can’t retain him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Please don’t ever post about this team bit being being tough enough then.  That’s Will Borgen. A player the likes of we’ve been waiting for since 2000.  

• Like (+1) 3

Former Sabres not protected: Derek Grant, Brendon Guhle, Ryan Miller, Taylor Hall, Nikita Zadorov, JT Compher, Jonas Johansson, Nathan Gerbe, Cliff Pu, Mikhail Gregorenko, Mark Pysyk, Paul Byron, Eric Stall, Evan Rodrigues, Chad Ruhwedel, Marco Scandella, Wayne Simmonds, Zack Bogosian, Jimmy Vesey, Conor Sheary, Nathan Beaulieu

Former Sabres protected: Nic Deslauriers, Zack Kassian, Cal Peterson, Marcus Foligno, Joel Armia, Evander Kane, Ryan O’Reilly, Tyler Myers

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Former Sabres not protected: Derek Grant, Brendon Guhle, Ryan Miller, Taylor Hall, Nikita Zadorov, JT Compher, Jonas Johansson, Nathan Gerbe, Cliff Pu, Mikhail Gregorenko, Mark Pysyk, Paul Byron, Eric Stall, Evan Rodrigues, Chad Ruhwedel, Marco Scandella, Wayne Simmonds, Zack Bogosian, Jimmy Vesey, Conor Sheary, Nathan Beaulieu

Former Sabres protected: Nic Deslauriers, Zack Kassian, Cal Peterson, Marcus Foligno, Joel Armia, Evander Kane, Ryan O’Reilly, Tyler Myers

Chicago protected Brandon Hagel (F) which surprised me.  He was a former Sabres pick that we did not sign and has gone on to develop pretty well as a player (not a star but still a NHL player).

Heard that Chicago is having trouble signing Zadorov because he wants too much.

48 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I would have protected Borgen and exposed Risto.

Protecting Risto has got to mean Adams has a deal worked out for him.  That better be the case, or expect Angry NS to show up soon.

If they take Borgen and we lose Risto after next season I will have lost all confidence in  KA. Especially if Borgen blossoms into a good player 

25 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Wow, that’s a crazy list! 

• Thanks (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Hoss said:

No, you get three years out of a decent player at a very valuable position vs just one year. Now we might lose both after next season. It’s just asset management, yes, Risto is way better, but still.  3 for 1 

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Borgen is so overrated by this fanbase 

No he isn't, but the fanbase is done with Risto.  Also, protecting Borgen is a bit better asset management, IMO.

Just now, Weave said:

Fixed for accuracy.

You are correct, of course, but I don't care.  I am just done with Risto.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.