Expansion Draft -- Wed. July 21, 2021 (Release the Kraken)

Hoss

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Every year the last place team should have the choice of releasing everybody from their contract and doing an expansion draft or getting the first pick.

That would be nuts but highly entertaining. The tanking would be wild.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

Ironically this is the perfect thread to discuss Botterill’s roster building.

Looking at that roster they picked I don't think JBot had anything to do with player selection. perhaps his Kraken role is more on the business side of GM duties. francis has him do the boring paperwork and other stuff he doesn't want to do. Unless he's changed drastically, that was NOT a JBot team. 

6 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Kraken went young. Kraken went character. I am one foot closer to the door................

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Looking at that roster they picked I don't think JBot had anything to do with player selection. perhaps his Kraken role is more on the business side of GM duties. francis has him do the boring paperwork and other stuff he doesn't want to do. Unless he's changed drastically, that was NOT a JBot team. 

I suspect he’s gone back to being the cap guy. Isn’t that what his claim to fame was in Pitt?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

They’re the biggest sports production in the country. They know what they’re doing.

McDonald's is the biggest restaurant chain in the country.  They also know what they're doing.

Doesn't mean their food is good nor does it mean any nore than a handful of menu items are good for you.

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Kraken went young. Kraken went character. I am one foot closer to the door................

Botterill would seem to not have had much, if any, input into their Sabres choice as he'd demonstrated love for Miller & Girgensons but no particular appreciation for Borgen.

So, your thesis seems plausible.

• Like (+1) 1

Already seeing reporters do the traditional back off where they initially said earlier today there were a lot of deals that we didn’t know about with Seattle just to turn around and now say there aren’t many if any that will be announced. NHL reporters are exhausting.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, SDS said:

Every year the last place team should have the choice of releasing everybody from their contract and doing an expansion draft or getting the first pick.

This would be fun and interesting. 

I would add a couple rules - the last place team electing for “expansion” draft has to pick last in the entry draft, and cannot do another “expansion” draft for 10 years. 

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

McDonald's is the biggest restaurant chain in the country.  They also know what they're doing.

Doesn't mean their food is good nor does it mean any nore than a handful of menu items are good for you.

This is a good point and comparison. After some thought I missed the mark with my retort to @LGR4GM’s comment. It’s not that I think ESPN is some bastion of great sports coverage (they do a good job with live sporting events and have some good shows mixed in with some very bad ones). I just want to allow some room for hope on the NHL front because NBC, who has the best live sports coverage, failed the NHL over the years and I’d like to see the game grow. ESPN certainly has the resources to do it.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Honcho said:

After seeing how they picked,  do you guys think they have a playoff bound team or at least the making of one after trades etc

Maybe?  Like one of their goalies, this team is just D'accord.

Edited by Eleven

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Yeah, I had the same thought.  But can you imagine how the last several editions of Sabres management would have handled that?  We'd still be right where we are now

you got it GIF by Team Coco

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

That would be nuts but highly entertaining. The tanking would be wild.

How about relegation?  NO ONE would tank if the NHL had that.

20 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If we trade for Jake Allen, he will become another Carter Hutton.  We will regret it.

They are not going to trade Him anymore.  Had Price not waved His NMC, Montreal was going to move Him so they did not lose Him for nothing in the expansion draft. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Doohickie said:
  1. Buck up, ya pansies.  It wasn't bad.
  2. He's not wrong.
  3. More incentive for KA and Donny Meatballs to prove something.

Doesn't really bother me at all.

Those are facts. It's not a big deal but they could have used a guy who actually knows hockey.

Not a great start today for ESPNs hockey coverage. 

Edited by Norcal
Sp

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.