What's Ristolainen going to return?

dudacek

Risto trade returns  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What will Risto return in a trade, if it happens in the next few weeks?

• Nothing. He won't be protected and will be a Kraken
    • A good player
    • The equivalent of late 1st, plus
    • The equivalent of late 1st
    • The equivalent of a 2nd
    • The equivalent of a 3rd or less
    • Nothing. He won't be traded prior to the trade deadline, if at all

It's been a open question for years around here, but according to Daren Dreger the answer may be imminent.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/dreger-teams-are-digging-in-on-rasmus-ristolainen

While on with the Instigators, Dreger said teams are "digging in" on Risto, the the ask is a good young defenceman and a high pick, and he's not sure if teams are willing to meet that price.

Chad D followed up that with a Tweet suggesting a deal might be announced after the roster freeze is lifted, that the Sabres might be essentially protecting Risto for another club.

Edited by dudacek

59 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's been a open question for years around here, but according to Daren Dreger the answer may be imminent.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/dreger-teams-are-digging-in-on-rasmus-ristolainen

While on with the Instigators, Dreger said teams are "digging in" on Risto, the the ask is a good young defenceman and a high pick, and he's not sure if teams are willing to meet that price.

Chad D followed up that with a Tweet suggesting a deal might be announced after the roster freeze is lifted, that the Sabres might be essentially protecting Risto for another club.

So then in essence we're protecting him for someone else and then asking for a good young D man back to replace Borgen. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have no idea what ai think might happen, but what I want to happen is a good old fashioned hockey trade, not a swap for a lottery ticket.

I think the best chance of a hockey trade is if Risto is packaged  as part of a deal with Sam or Jack. If he’s moved alone my gut says the return will be a not quite ready for NHL prospect or pick.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Konecny or farabee  from the flyers straight up 😛

this actually makes sense...Risto is exactly what Philly likes and he would be a absolute monster playing for them. Meanwhile Konecny has fallen from grace with Philly for whatever reason and has loads of upside.  

8 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

this actually makes sense...Risto is exactly what Philly likes and he would be a absolute monster playing for them. Meanwhile Konecny has fallen from grace with Philly for whatever reason and has loads of upside.  

I don’t think it does make sense.  Risto is a UFA in 12 months.  He isn’t worth a young top 6 forward with years of team control.

• Like (+1) 1

If they protect Risto for someone, the trade begins with: Risto and Borgen for...

1 hour ago, Lanny said:

Late 2nd round pick and Bjork level player throw in

Probably what Lanny said.  If so, meh, and I would have just exposed Risto.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

If they protect Risto for someone, the trade begins with: Risto and Borgen for...

Probably what Lanny said.  If so, meh, and I would have just exposed Risto.

Then he's gone for nothing. The best way seems to me is to trade him prior to expansion freeze. If not I'm thinking they protect him much to the dismay of many here. Of course I like Borgen but not at the value many here do. Not at the cost of giving Risto away for nothing.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I have no idea what ai think might happen, but what I want to happen is a good old fashioned hockey trade, not a swap for a lottery ticket.

I think the best chance of a hockey trade is if Risto is packaged  as part of a deal with Sam or Jack. If he’s moved alone my gut says the return will be a not quite ready for NHL prospect or pick.

I'd sure love to hear about how Kevyn Aydams is targeting hockey trades, too. Alas, it's not going to happen 

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I didn't vote because the obvious answer isn't there. The market has been set, it's a 2nd round pick and a prospect.

LA Kings make sense. Brock Faber and the 49th pick

That would be the 48th pick, not to be picky with you which if it happens would give us the 32nd, 48th and 52nd pick, I'm beginning to enjoy correcting our draft guru 😃😇 by the way

• Haha (+1) 2

Just speculating. 

Maybe the Sabres don't want to lose two right shot D-men in the next few days.  If they trade Risto and protect Borgen, it funnels Seattle towards Miller (unless Seattle takes Girgensens). That would leave us with Joker and Borgen as our only two NHL-level right shot D-men (and that's making the assumption we are correct and Borgen is NHL-level). The Sabres could still acquire one or two right shot D-men in other trades or in free agency, but maybe they would prefer to just protect Risto or Borgen and let Seattle pick the right shot D-man they want between Miller or Risto/Borgen.

It would still be my preference that we trade something to Seattle to have them take Miller.

The wildcard in all of this, in my view, is that we really don't know what the Sabres' plans are for this year.  Are they:

1.) Planning a longer term rebuild where they come in well below the cap with a very young team and leverage that cap space to take on bad contracts and good assets from other teams? 

Or

2.) Planning to spend closer to the cap by taking back useful veterans as part of Eichel/Reinhart trades and by adding more useful vets in free agency in an attempt to be competitive during a shorter-term rebuild.

If they are doing #1, then trading Risto and protecting Borgen makes sense.  If they are doing #2, then, regardless of our opinions on Risto and Miller, I don't think it makes sense for us to lose both of them in the span of a few days.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jsb said:

That would be the 48th pick, not to be picky with you which if it happens would give us the 32nd, 48th and 52nd pick, I'm beginning to enjoy correcting our draft guru 😃😇 by the way

Ok I get that but it's the 49th pick.  It's going to be officially labeled the 49th pick even if it's the 48th player. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_NHL_Entry_Draft

Edited by LGR4GM

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I firmly believe they will protect Ristolainen and expect to lose Borgen. 

45 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I didn't vote because the obvious answer isn't there. The market has been set, it's a 2nd round pick and a prospect.

LA Kings make sense. Brock Faber and the 49th pick

Is Borgen and Risto worth Faber, 49 and Miller or Girgs?

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Also what does the last option in the pool mean? Which deadline? The roster freeze, the draft, ufa starting?

Trade deadline.

Also, Brock Faber and a 2nd is clearer better than “the equivalent of a 2nd.” So it’s either “the equivalent of a late 1st” or “the equivalent of a late 1st plus,” depending on what you think of Brock Faber. Each choice is a value range.

Edited by dudacek

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's a 2nd a prospect. Idk how to equate that to a 1st round pick plus. 

It’s a judgement call.

Would you rather have Faber and a 2nd than, say, pick 24?

Tough call? Then pick “equivalent of a late first”

Easily the Faber package? Then pick “late 1st-plus”

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.