Sabres open goalie protection slot

dudacek

35 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I am very nervous that KA(despite having Karmanos to assist), is going through a deer in the headlights period, and because of that, ends up not making moves that need to be made, or panics, and makes bad moves.  I hope I'm wrong.

You usually look on the bright side, Blue. Now you've got me worried😂

21 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Why am I seeing 5pm ET as the time, not 3pm?  Paul Hamilton said it in his article, NBC did too, as did BleacherNation, etc.

Edit: 3pm is the the trade freeze, isnit?

3 pm is the freeze, 5 p.m. the protected list deadline, if memory serves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I hope they have a better plan for the goalie than Tokarski and UPL.

There must have been a deal to be made for a better goalie.

I thought there was a chance of signing Ullmark but kind of doubt it now.

Have you heard of the Bedard sweepstakes?

7 hours ago, Weave said:

Unless I am misreading things, your angst is over him not protecting a goalie?  If the goalie is known to be chosen by Seattle, what is the angst about?

The "angst?" is about wasting the goalie protection slot.  I'm not afraid of losing a goalie.  We have none to lose and desperately need to real NHL goalies.  I'm annoyed that we could have (and didn't) utilize the open slot to add one of the two goalies we need from a team that needed to unload a goalie, like Dreiger, that they'll lose in expansion for nothing.  

This was a huge wasted opportunity.  

I'm actually astonished how many here didn't recognize this opportunity. 

Instead people here would rather protect a 24 year old D who can barely crack the lineup with 14 games of NHL experience and zero points in those game vs protecting an accomplished offensive D with an apparent trade market value of a player and at least a 2nd rd pick.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 hours ago, Eleven said:

What advantage does the team gain by announcing early?

As I usually say in situations like this, think like Bill Belichick.  Would he spill the beans even a moment before the deadline?  Nope.

Announcing early?  If we had acquired a goalie to fill our open expansion protection slot, who cares when they announce it?   

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The "angst?" is about wasting the goalie protection slot.  I'm not afraid of losing a goalie.  We have none to lose and desperately need to real NHL goalies.  I'm annoyed that we could have (and didn't) utilize the open slot to add one of the two goalies we need from a team that needed to unload a goalie, like Dreiger, that they'll lose in expansion for nothing.  

This was a huge wasted opportunity.  

I'm actually astonished how many here didn't recognize this opportunity. 

Instead people here would rather protect a 24 year old D who can barely crack the lineup with 14 games of NHL experience and zero points in those game vs protecting an accomplished offensive D with an apparent trade market value of a player and at least a 2nd rd pick.  

So, you would have wanted to trade for a UFA goalie, just to protect, that may or may not have signed with Buffalo afterwards? The Sabres could’ve have protected Ullmark, but it doesn’t make sense. 

14 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

So, you would have wanted to trade for a UFA goalie, just to protect, that may or may not have signed with Buffalo afterwards? The Sabres could’ve have protected Ullmark, but it doesn’t make sense. 

You trade for an RFA or signed goalie.  Dreidger was just a name that came up in the conversation and no he wasn't on my list to acquire; sign maybe, but not acquire in trade.  

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You trade for an RFA or signed goalie.  Dreidger was just a name that came up in the conversation and no he wasn't on my list to acquire; sign maybe, but not acquire in trade.  

I guess maybe I’m confused about what you were trying to say in what I bolded. The Sabres and other teams other than Seattle aren’t able to sign UFA’s until July 28. You specifically mentioned Dreidger, but it’s not like Buffalo was able to sign him yet. 

9 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I guess maybe I’m confused about what you were trying to say in what I bolded. The Sabres and other teams other than Seattle aren’t able to sign UFA’s until July 28. You specifically mentioned Dreidger, but it’s not like Buffalo was able to sign him yet. 

Actually had Buffalo acquired his rights they could have re-signed him.  That said hopefully this would clarify things.  The Sabres enter the entry draft with no goalie to protect.  Tokarski is our exposed goaltender.  UPL and Portillo are exempt and Ullmark is a UFA who doesn't need protection.

13 trades were made in the last week or so as teams unloaded exposed players to teams that wanted them.  KA should have acquired a goalie (or re-signed Ullmark) to fill our open protection slot.  He didn't.  Just another wasted opportunity.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Not going to go all Dominik Kahun on this until I see the hand get fully played out.

Adin Hill was the only goalie to move and he netted more than I would have been comfortable paying.

Maybe, as @Archie Lee said, the market is such that most teams are kinda hoping their backup gets picked in order to save them from losing a skater?

There might be one, but at the moment I’m not aware of top-notch keeper who is being exposed that makes sense for the Sabres given the amount of free agents out there.

Fingers crossed they are quietly close on Linus.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually had Buffalo acquired his rights they could have re-signed him.  That said hopefully this would clarify things.  The Sabres enter the entry draft with no goalie to protect.  Tokarski is our exposed goaltender.  UPL and Portillo are exempt and Ullmark is a UFA who doesn't need protection.

13 trades were made in the last week or so as teams unloaded exposed players to teams that wanted them.  KA should have acquired a goalie (or re-signed Ullmark) to fill our open protection slot.  He didn't.  Just another wasted opportunity.  

The downside for the other team that may lose a Dreidger was well covered up thread.  They had no motivation to trade him to us because it means they would lose someone else.  You’re angst is irrational.

Edited by Weave

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If they acquired his rights, there’s no guarantees he would’ve signed with the Sabres. Also this means FLA would’ve had to expose another player, which maybe they didn’t want to do. 

I don’t think the Sabres can re-sign Ullmark until the 28th, but I could be wrong. 

33 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not going to go all Dominik Kahun on this until I see the hand get fully played out.

Adin Hill was the only goalie to move and he netted more than I would have been comfortable paying.

Maybe, as @Archie Lee said, the market is such that most teams are kinda hoping their backup gets picked in order to save them from losing a skater?

There might be one, but at the moment I’m not aware of top-notch keeper who is being exposed that makes sense for the Sabres given the amount of free agents out there.

Fingers crossed they are quietly close on Linus.

Indeed.  I think @GASabresIUFAN needs to come up with a name here to justify all of this sturm and drang.

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Indeed.  I think @GASabresIUFAN needs to come up with a name here to justify all of this sturm and drang.

Adin Hill was available from the Yotes but SJ grabbed him for a 2nd today. He would have been great pickup for a 2nd.  Jake Allen, Khudobin, and Holtby are some of vets who are available and upgrades of what we had.  Also one of Kakhonen or Talbot will be available from the Wild.  

The bottom line is there was plenty of opportunity for KA to swing a deal.  Also Ullmark could have been re-signed as soon as this past season started.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Adin Hill was available from the Yotes but SJ grabbed him for a 2nd today. He would have been great pickup for a 2nd.  Jake Allen, Khudobin, and Holtby are some of vets who are available and upgrades of what we had.  Also one of Kakhonen or Talbot will be available from the Wild.  

The bottom line is there was plenty of opportunity for KA to swing a deal.  Also Ullmark could have been re-signed as soon as this past season started.

Opportunity certainly does not mean necessity, especially in this case.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Opportunity certainly does not mean necessity, especially in this case.

Adding two goaltenders is a necessity, but the Sabres never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.  After all why utilize an opportunity to improve the club?  It so much better to watch competent GMs swing deal to improve their teams.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Holtby is nowhere near an upgrade; he's been in a downward spiral for 3 years now.

Looks like they are protecting Allen and exposing Price oddly enough. Same idea for Khudobin who was protected over Bishop. 

After the Expansion Draft I'd hit up Dallas over taking Bishop off their hands. Due to the whole Price exposing, I'd guess they'll take Price, sign Dreiger and then pick up some random goalie Depending on who that random goalie is, he could be a target as could be Bishop/Khudobin post-expansion due to Dallas having 3 goalies at the moment.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I would not have traded pick 33 for Adin Hill. Too high a price. He went for pick 39, I think?

Allen will be protected and I believe Khudobin will be as well, since Bishop and Price waived. Don’t think the Sabres want to add those latter two contracts at that age and Bishop’s health.

Holtby has a $4 million cap hit and is flat out terrible. He’s been bad for a while. Canuck fans are wondering if they can offer the Kraken something to take that contract off their hands.

Wild fans were divided and who to leave unprotected but some were hoping to use one as bait to stop the Wild from picking a defenceman instead.

(Or maybe Talbot is part of the Wild’s Eichel offer.) 😜

Edited by dudacek

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I would not have traded pick 33 for Adin Hill. Too high a price. He went for pick 39, I think?

Allen will be protected and I believe Khudobin will be as well, since Bishop and Price waived. Don’t think the Sabres want to add those latter two contracts at that age and Bishop’s health.

Holtby has a $4 million cap hit and is flat out terrible. He’s been bad for a while. Canuck fans are wondering if they can offer the Kraken something to take that contract off their hands.

Wild fans were divided and who to leave unprotected but some were hoping to use one as bait to stop the Wild from picking a defenceman instead.

(Or maybe Talbot is part of the Wild’s Eichel offer.) 😜

Hill's age and numbers aren't too dissimilar to Lehner's when we paid a 1st for him.  Lehner's were better with more games played but he wasn't healthy when we got him.  Hill on the other hand is healthy.  Doesn't matter because KA sat on his hands unwilling to take a chance. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hill's age and numbers aren't too dissimilar to Lehner's when we paid a 1st for him.  Lehner's were better with more games played but he wasn't healthy when we got him.  Hill on the other hand is healthy.  Doesn't matter because KA sat on his hands unwilling to take a chance. 

You would have traded 33 for him?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.