Jeff Skinner Agrees to waive His NMC for Expansion Draft

Brawndo

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Does this signal how Jeff is another veteran who wouldn’t mind moving on?

😘

Asking Skinner to waive the clause was Adams' final test: He said "yes", so now Adams has decided he needs to be moved and will pay what it takes

I thought Kevyn Adams was too dumb to ask.

21 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Holy *****.

Probably this. But it does make me wonder if Jeff knows Jack is leaving and we're in for a rebuild so he wants out.

This totally makes sense. Leave the Sabres to join an expansion team. 👍

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just now, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Can someone explain to me why this is a good thing? Not being an ass I guess I just don’t know how these things work…

Explain It Season 5 GIF by The Office

We will not protect Skinner in the expansion draft and it is very unlikely a new team like Seattle will take his 6 year contract. This allows us to use that expansion protection on another forward such as Asplund. So Skinner isn't going to get taken, if he does it saves us 9mil for the next 6 years, and if he doesn't it allows us to protect someone else. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Can someone explain to me why this is a good thing? Not being an ass I guess I just don’t know how these things work…

One less forward exposed who we actually think Seattle might take. Skinner is there instead of, say, Asplund, who some think would be a significant loss/easy selection for Seattle. Instead they'll be forced to take a perceived lesser player

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

We will not protect Skinner in the expansion draft and it is very unlikely a new team like Seattle will take his 6 year contract. This allows us to use that expansion protection on another forward such as Asplund. So Skinner isn't going to get taken, if he does it saves us 9mil for the next 6 years, and if he doesn't it allows us to protect someone else. 

It's widely considered one of the worst contracts in hockey.  I don't think anyone is picking that up without significant additional compensation coming along with it.  

Yes @PASabreFanI know he hasn't provided a value close to reflective of his cap hit of late. I wasn't suggesting in seriousness that he now can't be questioned and analyzed or whatever. 

Merely pointing out that he did the team what I consider to be a significant favor. 

In a world where Eichel is a terrible human being because he wants to have a specific surgery, or because he says he dreams of playing on his hometown team, or where Cozens is Messier Apparant because he dropped the gloves in a meaningless regular season game, I believe giving Skinner credit for helping out his team a little bit deserves some props. 

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

One less forward exposed who we actually think Seattle might take. Skinner is there instead of, say, Asplund, who some think would be a significant loss/easy selection for Seattle. Instead they'll be forced to take a perceived lesser player

I don't blame the poster for not getting the HOLY FYCK!!! reactions. It's not like Jeff is gone.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Cal Naughton Jr said:

This is a good thing because the Sabres really wanted to make sure they didn't lose any of Thompson, Asplund, nor Bjork.  They now don't have to waste any assets to protect them all.

It also shows that Skinner does want to play on as good a team as possible while being a stone's throw from home and doesn't just want to be a stone's throw from home.  It makes sense for him to do so as he almost definitely won't be selected and this will result in the Sabres being marginally better especially if they can now expend a 4th or so to get Miller to join a very exclusive club of players that were selected in multiple expansion drafts.

And if Ristolainen is traded for a goalie before the expansion draft, the Sabres don't need to waste any picks to have Miller most likely be selected with Girgensons, Okposo, & Tokarski the extremely unlikely long shot choices.  As now Borgen becomes the 3rd D protected.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I don't blame the poster for not getting the HOLY FYCK!!! reactions. It's not like Jeff is gone.

Ya, I've said all along I don't really care about the expansion draft. I've earned that right by supporting a terrible team for so long, this is one thing I choose not to worry about lol. 

I find that he waived the NMC more significant than the player we'll lose

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This is a good thing because the Sabres really wanted to make sure they didn't lose any of Thompson, Asplund, nor Bjork.  They now don't have to waste any assets to protect them all.

It also shows that Skinner does want to play on as good a team as possible while being a stone's throw from home and doesn't just want to be a stone's throw from home.  It makes sense for him to do so as he almost definitely won't be selected and this will result in the Sabres being marginally better especially if they can now expend a 4th or so to get Miller to join a very exclusive club of players that were selected in multiple expansion drafts.

And if Ristolainen is traded for a goalie before the expansion draft, the Sabres don't need to waste any picks to have Miller most likely be selected with Girgensons, Okposo, & Tokarski the extremely unlikely long shot choices.  As now Borgen becomes the 3rd D protected.  

But if you trade risto pre-expansion then ur looking at teams who need a better 3rd d to protect.  Or they have a deal in place with seattle, or a better player available.  

Pittsburgh maybe... or Vancouver?  

Edited by Drag0nDan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.