Why only 22 players on the active roster?

Barnabov

Only 11 forwards with Mair & Peters on the IR for at least 1 week - 3 goalies. I wonder if they've left room on purpose, otherwise why send Roy down. Interestingly enough, earlier on the WGR-AM story, it didn't mention Pominville being sent down and when I looked at the Sabres.com roster, he was still listed for 25 players total (counting the two on IR). Now the sabres.com site only shows 24 with Pominville's picture having been removed. Wonder what it all means?

http://www.wgr550.com/sabres/fullstory.php?id=1138

Does anyone know what the rule is on clearing waivers for future call ups? Such as, if Bartovic and Pominville and Janik clear waivers and go to Rochester, then are called up, will they need to clear waivers every time they are sent down? I can see them getting through now when lots of players are available but later in the season, there'd be a good chance some teams who is stinking up the league, would take a chance and claim prospects off waivers. If they don't have to clear for future up & down assignments, that might be why they were all sent down now even though there was room on active roster. Appreciate if anyone can clarify this for me!

Only 11 forwards with Mair & Peters on the IR for at least 1 week - 3 goalies.  I wonder if they've left room on purpose, otherwise why send Roy down.  Interestingly enough, earlier on the WGR-AM story, it didn't mention Pominville being sent down and when I looked at the Sabres.com roster, he was still listed for 25 players total (counting the two on IR).  Now the sabres.com site only shows 24 with Pominville's picture having been removed.  Wonder what it all means?

http://www.wgr550.com/sabres/fullstory.php?id=1138

Does anyone know what the rule is on clearing waivers for future call ups?  Such as, if Bartovic and Pominville and Janik clear waivers and go to Rochester, then are called up, will they need to clear waivers every time they are sent down?  I can see them getting through now when lots of players are available but later in the season, there'd be a good chance some teams who is stinking up the league, would take a chance and claim prospects off waivers.  If they don't have to clear for future up & down assignments, that might be why they were all sent down now even though there was room on active roster.  Appreciate if anyone can clarify this for me!

In the old CBA, if you cleared waivers once, you were good for the rest of the season with that NHL/AHL pair. I assume that is still the same under the new one.

There is one twist to the callups due to the salary cap. If a player is making more than $75,000 in the minors, he must clear waivers before being called UP. This is to keep high spending teams from "hiding" players in the minors to stay under the cap at the NHL level.

Also, I believe you had a typo in the post heading. It's 23 players on the active roster, not 22.

Dave.

Nope - here's an article from sabres.com  "ROSTER NOW STANDS AT 22"

interesting background on who stayed & why - we'll see if Connolly can keep his spot on the PP?

http://www.sab?res.com/newsarchive.cfm?id=142

My bad. Sorry.

My guess as to why only 22 is that they expect that Mair (hopefully) or Peters will be healthy w/in a week and didn't want to call a tough guy up for just the 1st week. No sense in paying a guy to be up in the NHL if you have no intention of playing him. A lot of times the wingers on the 4th line only take a couple of shifts anyhow.

With Kalinin's groin being iffy, the Sabres now can dress 7 d and still have 6 if Kalinin can't go. In a worst case, if you need that 12th forward, Campbell could probably take the odd shift (he can't be much worse at wing than he is at D).

Dave.

Why only 22 players on the active roster?

CLEARLY, it was so they'd have room for 4 (FOUR, 1+1+1+1, 1 per period + overtime) goalies on the active roster. Maybe they need one more to handle the shootout!

I am hoping that this is a precursor to another deal, but as of 3:30 there was nothing on the Sabres website about the Leighton trade.

Dave.

Archived