Expansion draft timeline and roster freezes

LGR4GM

Since we are rapidly approaching the expansion draft so here are the dates you want to know courtesy of John Vogl:

7/13: Asking players to waive NMC deadline (specifically for expansion draft) 5pm eastern

7/16: Players have to respond to NMC waive requests by this time and this is the last waivers before the roster freeze (5pm)

7/17: NHL roster freeze and submission of expansion draft lists (freeze at 3pm, lists due at 5pm)

7/18: Expansion draft protection lists and exposed players released. Seattle can talk to UFA's (10am)

7/21: NHL Expansion Draft (Seattle submits picks at 10am, Draft is revealed at 8pm)

7/22: Roster freeze ends, trades and waivers may resume (1pm)

7/23: NHL entry draft 1st round (8pm eastern start time)

7/24: NHL entry draft rounds 2-7

7/28: NHL Free Agency

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder if they have a deal in place with Seattle then? 

That would be my assumption now. I bet we are losing a 5th or 6th rounder so they take Miller or Okposo or something like that. Not gonna lie, I will miss Kyle Okposo. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That would be my assumption now. I bet we are losing a 5th or 6th rounder so they take Miller or Okposo or something like that. Not gonna lie, I will miss Kyle Okposo. 

Not sure that’s enough for either player.  Okposo would probably require a 2nd or switching draft positions at the top.

Miller would probably start at a 4th Rounder. It will be interesting to see what the prices are. 

Just now, Brawndo said:

Not sure that’s enough for either player.  Okposo would probably require a 2nd or switching draft positions at the top.

Miller would probably start at a 4th Rounder. It will be interesting to see what the prices are. 

Then I wouldn't bother. Maybe the 4th for Miller but surrendering multiple assets is silly, must let them take someone and move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

If a player waives his NMC for this is it a temporary waive or does it remove it from their contract from then on?? Either way I would think the player might look at it as a slap in the face that they would even get asked this question. 

1 minute ago, jsb said:

If a player waives his NMC for this is it a temporary waive or does it remove it from their contract from then on?? Either way I would think the player might look at it as a slap in the face that they would even get asked this question. 

It is only for the purposes of the expansion draft. 

1 hour ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

My bold prediction of the offseason is that Skinner is going to have a huge bounce back season. He gets a lot of hate on here and a lot of it is deserving, but he’s going to score 25+ goals next season 

I hope that it works out.  He's had so many posts and misses last season.

He really needs to spend some time on affirmations........... I think I can score, I think I can score, I think I can score...........

• Like (+1) 1

Can't wait to see how this goes.  We're going to get a crash course in whether the Sabres have begun to right the ship or if it's sinking faster.  They have some opportunities in the next couple weeks to prove that "we won't get fooled again".

I wouldn't waive my no move if I was Skinner - he negotiated for that in good faith and he wants to be in Buffalo. There's no way he could know to a certainty Seattle wouldn't take him, and you'd be asking him to risk something he considered very important to his livelihood (anyone's really. it's where you live) for a duration of 6 years. 

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Digger said:

I hope that it works out.  He's had so many posts and misses last season.

He really needs to spend some time on affirmations........... I think I can score, I think I can score, I think I can score...........

In case you haven't seen it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yx9xO98kcBU

2 hours ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

My bold prediction of the offseason is that Skinner is going to have a huge bounce back season. He gets a lot of hate on here and a lot of it is deserving, but he’s going to score 25+ goals next season 

I hope you are right. If he can get to scoring in the 25 goal range it would be like adding a free agent to the roster. I'm sure that he will be motivated to come into the camp ready to restore his reputation as a player. And I'm sure Granato has been working this offseason trying to figure out what is the best way to maximize his talents.  Internal improvement is just as important as adding outside talent to this roster. 

Edited by JohnC

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I hope you are right. If he can get to scoring in the 25 goal range it would be like adding a free agent to the roster. I'm sure that he will be motivated to come into the camp ready to restore his reputation as a player. And I'm sure Granato has been working this offseason trying to figure out what is the best way to maximize his talents.  Internal improvement is just as important as adding outside talent to this roster. 

Granato has a hell of a lot more confidence in him than Ralph had. Just need to find the right spot for him, that’s going to be the hard part..

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

Granato has a hell of a lot more confidence in him than Ralph had. Just need to find the right spot for him, that’s going to be the hard part..

It isn't too difficult for Granato to have more confidence in him that Ralph had. Ralph put in extra effort to bury him. I agree with you that Granato has to find the right spot for Skinner but the onus is on the player to adjust his game and play within the unit. The Lone Ranger style of play might working playing Cowboy and Indians but it doesn't work in the NHL. To Skinner's credit he did play with effort but to his discredit he didn't always play with smarts. That's where the alteration needs to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.