Who do you want the Sabres to draft 1st overall in 2021?

LGR4GM

2021 draft  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want the Sabres to draft 1st overall?

• Owen Power
    • William Eklund
    • Matthew Beniers
    • Dylan Guenther
    • Luke Hughes
    • Other, list below
  2. 2. If the Sabre get another top 5 pick, who do you hope they draft (assume this player is available with whatever pick we have) with that extra top 5 pick?

• Owen Power
    • William Eklund
    • Matthew Beniers
    • Dylan Guenther
    • Luke Hughes
    • Simon Edvinsson
    • Kent Johnson
    • Mason McTavish
    • Brandt Clarke
    • Fabian Lysell

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/23/2021 at 11:00 PM

We love polls right? Well since the first overall pick is a much debated topic these days and Buffalo could acquire another top 5 pick let's see who ppl want. If you pick say Owen Power for the first question, make sure you pick someone else for the second question. 

Personally, I know who I hope they take. I think they could add so much value and depth to our forwards that we could actually be good in a few years. But vote away. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I’m on the Eklund train. I think he projects as a Claude Giroux level wing who can also play centre. Worst-case scenario is a Sam Reinhart level wing who also kills penalties. Smart, tenacious and skilled.

Number two for me is Beniers. As I’ve posted many times, he is tailor-made for the identity this team professes to be shooting for. I see a faster, less-mean Mike Peca, who will match up well and tilt the ice against even the most skilled opponent. You win with players like him.

And Power slots in at three. I don’t see Norris trophies, but I do see a 15-year all-situations top-four defencemen like Seth Jones and Aaron Ekblad.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m on the Eklund train. I think he projects as a Claude Giroux level wing who can also play centre. Worst-case scenario is a Sam Reinhart level wing who also kills penalties. Smart, tenacious and skilled.

Number two for me is Beniers. As I’ve posted many times, he is tailor-made for the identity this team professes to be shooting for. I see a faster, less-mean Mike Peca, who will match up well and tilt the ice against even the most skilled opponent. You win with players like him.

And Power slots in at three. I don’t see Norris trophies, but I do see a 15-year all-situations top-four defencemen like Seth Jones and Aaron Ekblad.

This is the perfect description 

I went with Power at #1 and Beniers if he is available in the "if we have another top 5 pick" spot.

I'm not a prospect expert by any means, though I love the draft and am very interested.  My knowledge comes from what I read and video clips, so I would not pretend to have anything above the minimal level of knowledge about any of these players. 

If we end up with two top 8 picks and get Power, Beniers or Eklund at #1 and then any one of Beniers, Eklund, McTavish, Guenther, Johnson, Hughes or Clarke with the 2nd pick (assuming Power isn't available for our 2nd pick and that we don't take two D-men), then I am happy.

36 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

I went with Power at #1 and Beniers if he is available in the "if we have another top 5 pick" spot.

I'm not a prospect expert by any means, though I love the draft and am very interested.  My knowledge comes from what I read and video clips, so I would not pretend to have anything above the minimal level of knowledge about any of these players. 

If we end up with two top 8 picks and get Power, Beniers or Eklund at #1 and then any one of Beniers, Eklund, McTavish, Guenther, Johnson, Hughes or Clarke with the 2nd pick (assuming Power isn't available for our 2nd pick and that we don't take two D-men), then I am happy.

I’d be alright with that, but I’d definitely prefer 2 Forward prospects than 1D and 1F unless the value at the pick isn’t close. I’m not really a fan of Johnson though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Nice summary.  

I want to dream of Power developing into Larry Robinson, winning Norris trophies and Stanley Cup for us.  Some of the experts here think that is a bit reachy but you never know with defenseman.  The great ones age like fine wine.  

Beniers was my next pick, I loved the energy and skill in the videos posted. 

Edited by Pimlach

Eklund, Beniers.

Amendment: If the Sabres choose one but the other is gone, then MacTavish.

As you can see, I really want top forwards in this draft.  I will not have tears in my beer if they take Power and, say, Hughes.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
  • Like (+1) 3

If the rumors of the 2 Anaheim deals being offered is one around Zegras and one around 3OA I hope they take he Zegras deal and then try to flip Sam to Columbus for 5OA+.  If they really do want Eklund I think there is a really strong chance he is there at 5.

Power, Eklund, Zegras+ is a really nice reset to add to the young core.

15 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If the rumors of the 2 Anaheim deals being offered is one around Zegras and one around 3OA I hope they take he Zegras deal and then try to flip Sam to Columbus for 5OA+.  If they really do want Eklund I think there is a really strong chance he is there at 5.

Power, Eklund, Zegras+ is a really nice reset to add to the young core.

What rumors ? And if what you're saying is true 3rd or Zegras what an absolute joke of a trade it should be both 

So you're telling me we can trade cozens for a franchise player ?

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

Eklund Berniers for me. Wouldn’t be upset with Powers but want more high end skill in the forward ranks.

Beniers is not high end skill.

I went Power and McTavish, but I'd also be down for Clarke and Eklund if they move down.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

What rumors ? And if what you're saying is true 3rd or Zegras what an absolute joke of a trade it should be both 

So you're telling me we can trade cozens for a franchise player ?

It was someone on another board who has a source so take it with a grain of salt.  It was that Anaheim was offering two trade packages: one centred around Zegras+Other pieces and  the other around 3OA+Other pieces. Adams was hoping for both Zegras+ 3OA+.

Does anyone else really not care so much about who the Sabres take with their first round draft picks? Of course I want them to take the best player and pick someone among what is regarded as consensus top 3-4, but I just feel like the draft is such a crapshoot that it's unreasonable to get pissed at Adams for picking the "wrong" player of those top 3-4.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NAF said:

Does anyone else really not care so much about who the Sabres take with their first round draft picks? Of course I want them to take the best player and pick someone among what is regarded as consensus top 3-4, but I just feel like the draft is such a crapshoot that it's unreasonable to get pissed at Adams for picking the "wrong" player of those top 3-4.

Oh, but they will be pissed you can rest assured of that.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Beniers is not high end skill.

I went Power and McTavish, but I'd also be down for Clarke and Eklund if they move down.

I do understand what you mean here, he doesn’t impress with puck skills, but he just consistently does things that put his team in a better position.

I think people would have said that guys like O’Reilly and Toews also don’t have high end skills.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.