Around the NHL: 2020-2021

WildCard

22 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The larger high schools, yes, but they have a lot of students.... duh. 

Most of their high schools are large.  They form their ISDs deliberately to make bigger high schools.

We had two huge high schools and didn’t live in a big city..

Edited by Der Jaeger

38 minutes ago, Der Jaeger said:

Most of their high schools are large.  They form their ISDs deliberately to make bigger high schools.

We had two huge high schools and didn’t live in a big city..

Probably more of a spread than you realize

image.thumb.png.35009a8f2c21cc7c1bbe9d67775afff8.png

Average enrollment of a Texas public high school is 618, in NY State it's 583, so not all that different.

Edited by Doohickie

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

Nice.

The B's & Pens (& Vegas too, suppose) should be the only teams with black unis & Chicago, Filly, & the Otters should be the only ones with it as a major component of their unis.  Bright unis "pop" against the ice, especially in person &/or on high def.

Bring back Joisey's Christmas unis, too.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Nice.

The B's & Pens (& Vegas too, suppose) should be the only teams with black unis & Chicago, Filly, & the Otters should be the only ones with it as a major component of their unis.  Bright unis "pop" against the ice, especially in person &/or on high def.

Bring back Joisey's Christmas unis, too.

The kings?

Heard some whispers on local sports radio today that McDavid wants to win sooner rather than later. Similar to the Eichel situation . And it was surmised by the talking heads that this may blow up into an Eichel drama. No links but with the way sports media digs for offseason news it’ll either blow up or fade away. We’ll see. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Heard some whispers on local sports radio today that McDavid wants to win sooner rather than later. Similar to the Eichel situation . And it was surmised by the talking heads that this may blow up into an Eichel drama. No links but with the way sports media digs for offseason news it’ll either blow up or fade away. We’ll see. 

That was a big thing that they floated the last off season when the Oilers missed the playoffs in 2020.  The same thing was floated for Eichel because of lack of playoff success.  The difference being that the Oilers turned it around last season and were a playoff team and the Sabres crumbled.  The Oilers have resigned their depth players in Nugent Hopkins and the Sabres have now traded theirs away.  They made quite a few moves in the off season (to try and improve).  I would think McDavid is happy going into this new season.

Personally I think the media love floating this stuff to see if it can gain some traction.  Look at all of the material they got with the Eichel situation all this off season.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Digger said:

That was a big thing that they floated the last off season when the Oilers missed the playoffs in 2020.  The same thing was floated for Eichel because of lack of playoff success.  The difference being that the Oilers turned it around last season and were a playoff team and the Sabres crumbled.  The Oilers have resigned their depth players in Nugent Hopkins and the Sabres have now traded theirs away.  They made quite a few moves in the off season (to try and improve).  I would think McDavid is happy going into this new season.

Personally I think the media love floating this stuff to see if it can gain some traction.  Look at all of the material they got with the Eichel situation all this off season.

Yeah I agree about the media. I also think guys like McDavid have the ability to hold their managements feet to the fire if they don’t see improvement. Seems to come around every offseason so who knows ?

• Like (+1) 1

McD has to be more than frustrated.

The best player on the planet and they can't get past the first round?

Bad contracts and drafting have really hurt this team but they don't learn.

I'm not sold on their coach either.

I see them finishing 3rd in their division.

Edited by Ducky

13 minutes ago, Digger said:

...................playing the Sabres.

More than playing just the Sabres. 

In the Covid season, Ullmark posted 2.69 / .915. Pretty solid behind a lousy team. The Sabres gave up the 3rd fewest goals in the Atlantic, but couldn’t score enough, and were almost a .500 team. 

2.63 / .917 last season. Won 9 of 20 games. The other 5 goalies combined won 6 of 36 games with a GAA likely around 3.50

I’d be willing to wager Ullmark is more than just an average G when playing behind a team that isn’t awful. 

33 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

If you think it hurts now, wait until you see how well he does behind an actual team. 

At this point I couldn’t care less about Ullmark. Good luck Linus. I’ll predict he has 4 years of “good enough to stay in the NHL as a 1B. Then after that he’ll be an NHL backup as younger and more talented goalies eat his lunch as starters. Then by 32-33 he’ll go to Europe for 3-4 years. Overall, not a “ZOMG” great career whatsoever. Unless the standard is retiring as a millionaire. Then yes, great career 😂

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

At this point I couldn’t care less about Ullmark. Good luck Linus. I’ll predict he has 4 years of “good enough to stay in the NHL as a 1B. Then after that he’ll be an NHL backup as younger and more talented goalies eat his lunch as starters. Then by 32-33 he’ll go to Europe for 3-4 years. Overall, not a “ZOMG” great career whatsoever. Unless the standard is retiring as a millionaire. Then yes, great career 😂

Thats fine and acceptable, as long as I don’t have to read any posts whining about the Sabres goaltending this season after the team spent 9 freakin years developing Ullmark and let him walk for nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Andrew Amerk said:

Thats fine and acceptable, as long as I don’t have to read any posts whining about the Sabres goaltending this season after the team spent 9 freakin years developing Ullmark and let him walk for nothing. 

You don’t have to read it. You can skip the GDT threads or threads about goaltending 😂

29 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

More than playing just the Sabres. 

In the Covid season, Ullmark posted 2.69 / .915. Pretty solid behind a lousy team. The Sabres gave up the 3rd fewest goals in the Atlantic, but couldn’t score enough, and were almost a .500 team. 

2.63 / .917 last season. Won 9 of 20 games. The other 5 goalies combined won 6 of 36 games with a GAA likely around 3.50

I’d be willing to wager Ullmark is more than just an average G when playing behind a team that isn’t awful. 

Sure no argument on his stats.  Ullmark played well for the Sabres and will most likely play well for the Bruins.  Hopefully he is able to stay healthy this season for the Bruins and really establish himself as a number 1 goalie.  

My point was that it will hurt Sabres fans when he plays well against us.  Other than that we have to move on.  He would not resign with us so "it is what it is" (move on).

Edited by Digger

11 minutes ago, Digger said:

Sure no argument on his stats.  Ullmark played well for the Sabres and will most likely play well for the Bruins.  Hopefully he is able to stay healthy this season for the Bruins and really establish himself as a number 1 goalie.  

My point was that it will hurt Sabres fans when he plays well against us.  Other than that we have to move on.  He would not resign with us so "it is what it is" (move on).

I think he would’ve re-signed, he just wanted the Sabres to beat their offer. I’m pretty sure we lost Modo over it. For a team that supposedly might struggle to meet the cap floor, it’s odd to me that the Sabres couldn’t match or beat the Bruins. 

50 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I think he would’ve re-signed, he just wanted the Sabres to beat their offer. I’m pretty sure we lost Modo over it. For a team that supposedly might struggle to meet the cap floor, it’s odd to me that the Sabres couldn’t match or beat the Bruins. 

Oh no, we lost Modo!?  What was KA thinking?!

• Haha (+1) 2