Around the NHL: 2020-2021

WildCard

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Depends on whether on not Tempe wants to pay for an arena for a team nobody wants to watch or not.  I could also see Tempe giving the development rights to the owner and only paying for infrastructure. It will be a very tough sell to get much public money for that team.

Glendale is out which leaves America West Arena which sucks for hockey and I doubt the Suns want to share again and the old basketball arena at the fairgrounds which hasn't been used for major sports in 30 years. If they can't get an arena sorted out I could see him selling. The arena has been a constant problem since they moved there.

The team just needs to average 2000 more per game and that shouldn't be a big issue if they move to Tempe. That's much closer to where the fans are.  I'm thinking the Sabres are the team nobody wants to watch, I'd wager Coyotes will have better actual attendance per game than the Sabres this season.

49 minutes ago, Weave said:

How many cities in Arizona are left that can't minimally support an NHL team?

Just build the arena in the right area and they'll be fine. Would you drive an hour+ cross town in rush hour traffic on a Tuesday to see a game?

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Depends on whether on not Tempe wants to pay for an arena for a team nobody wants to watch or not.  I could also see Tempe giving the development rights to the owner and only paying for infrastructure. It will be a very tough sell to get much public money for that team.

Glendale is out which leaves America West Arena which sucks for hockey and I doubt the Suns want to share again and the old basketball arena at the fairgrounds which hasn't been used for major sports in 30 years. If they can't get an arena sorted out I could see him selling. The arena has been a constant problem since they moved there.

America west was upgraded recently and is no longer configured to host hockey games, so it's out of the question.

4 hours ago, klos1963 said:

The team just needs to average 2000 more per game and that shouldn't be a big issue if they move to Tempe. That's much closer to where the fans are.  I'm thinking the Sabres are the team nobody wants to watch, I'd wager Coyotes will have better actual attendance per game than the Sabres this season.

Just build the arena in the right area and they'll be fine. Would you drive an hour+ cross town in rush hour traffic on a Tuesday to see a game?

Buffalo is bad with a great amount of fans

Arizona is bad with a mediocre amount of fans

Even 25% of the Sabres fanbase viewing each game is likely more than Arizona at 75%.

Ticket sales might be a different story; however Arizona, like Florida, are known for absurd ticket selling schemes. You'll never see Sabres tickets offered in Tops with a gift card purchase or the like.

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Buffalo is bad with a great amount of fans

Arizona is bad with a mediocre amount of fans

Even 25% of the Sabres fanbase viewing each game is likely more than Arizona at 75%.

Ticket sales might be a different story; however Arizona, like Florida, are known for absurd ticket selling schemes. You'll never see Sabres tickets offered in Tops with a gift card purchase or the like.

Never?

Back when the criminals owned the Sabres, they gave away extra tickets to ~4 games to STHers right before their scheme fell apart.  Pretty sure they also had a few giveaways to Adelphia customers.  Who knows how many other freebies/comps they gave away each game.  Recall estimates that ~1,000 tix were comped each weeknight game.

And before the Eulers left House-ton, unless they were playing the Stealers, Brownies, or the Pokes, a local grocery store would regularly buy up the last 5,000-10,000 seats to keep games from being blacked out.  Buy $50 worth of groceries, get a football ticket for $5.  This for a city that has suburban HS stadiums that hold 40k+.

Never say never.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

Never?

Back when the criminals owned the Sabres, they gave away extra tickets to ~4 games to STHers right before their scheme fell apart.  Pretty sure they also had a few giveaways to Adelphia customers.  Who knows how many other freebies/comps they gave away each game.  Recall estimates that ~1,000 tix were comped each weeknight game.

And before the Eulers left House-ton, unless they were playing the Stealers, Brownies, or the Pokes, a local grocery store would regularly buy up the last 5,000-10,000 seats to keep games from being blacked out.  Buy $50 worth of groceries, get a football ticket for $5.  This for a city that has suburban HS stadiums that hold 40k+.

Never say never.

I remember Bills tix being bought up by local  businesses to ensure a sellout for local TV coverage.  Maybe as recently as the 90s?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I remember Bills tix being bought up by local  businesses to ensure a sellout for local TV coverage.  Maybe as recently as the 90s?

True.  Bills seated 80,290 in a metropolitan population of ~1.2MM.

Eulers seated ~62k in a metropolitan population of  ~3MM.  This for a team that was in a stretch of 7 consecutive playoff berths playing in a football hotbed.  

Never say never.

13 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

You'll never see Sabres tickets offered in Tops with a gift card purchase or the like.

I definitely remember the Caps doing this.  In the playoffs.  In a year where they went to the Finals.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

I think it's even more recent than that.

7 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Apparently nobody has a problem doing that to see a concert/show in Glendale. And not for nothing its a little weird that the hockey fans are apparently located in one particular area of town. It's ridiculous that they continue to have this issue so long after moving there.

Whatever, I honestly don't care what they do. Build a building, sell the team to Quebec or Houston or wherever. Fine.

A concert is a 'one time' event. Hockey is 40 nights and not really a novelty. I go to the arena when the Sabres play here, but won't make an effort just to see a game.  It's not weird that the majority of people that can afford to regularly attend hockey games live in the areas of higher income and population. Glendale is lower income and fewer people, Scottsdale and areas around have much higher incomes and larger population. It's not complicated.

• Like (+1) 1

- - - 

Tkachuk expected to sign with Senators before training camp begins - 

https://www.nhl.com/news/brady-tkachuk-expected-to-sign-with-ottawa-before-training-camp-begins/c-326113506

"We have had really positive talks," Dorion told 590 The Fan on Thursday. "Are we confident he'll be signed by the time camp starts? Yes. These negotiations aren't always easy. They take a bit more time."

- - - 

Portland Winterhawks of the WHL dropped the Native American imagery from their logo and jerseys. Here is the first look at their new jerseys.

A closer look at their logo shows an awesome detail: the grey neck feathers are actually showcasing Mount Hood in Oregon.

image.png.53ffe15b8eac094a3cc15b74fa7cd16f.png

You can read more about the new look here: https://winterhawks.com/article/winterhawks-reveal-new-brand-identity

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Nice exaggeration there.  The biggest capacity of any HS stadium in the whole state is less than 20k.

Fine.  Multiple near 10k seat HIGH SCHOOL stadiums.  It still was pathetic support for the Eulers.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Nice exaggeration there.  The biggest capacity of any HS stadium in the whole state is less than 20k.

True.  But having lived in Texas, nearly every high school has a huge football stadium.

Our two area high schools had stadiums of 11.5k and 9k.  By northeastern standards, those are huge and could be non-D1 college stadiums.  

• Thanks (+1) 1