Around the NHL: 2020-2021

WildCard

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

If one of our players signs an offer sheet, then he doesn't want to be here. GM Sheevyn would have to take the picks. Although... maybe he'd have to match to meet the cap floor.

That's funny.  Yes we only want players "who want to be here" so none of our players would sign an offer sheet.  😄

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

If I’m the Habs there’s no ***** way I’m matching that offer. It’s funny and cute from the Hurricanes … but it’s also woefully stupid.

I’m not high on KK, at all.

This guy lays out the reasons pretty well:

Its only a one year deal, if KK breaks through or has a solid season you can sign him long term after or even still trade him.

21 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Its only a one year deal, if KK breaks through or has a solid season you can sign him long term after or even still trade him.

Firsts in the 2022 draft are worth a lot and the Canes have lost some serious talent (top defender and all their goalies) so they could definitely take a big step back. If KK flatlines you can’t give him his QO next year because he simply wouldn’t be anywhere near worth it so you’d be left with nothing.

15 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Goodness gracious me!

That's a lot of money for someone who hasn't really shown himself to be a scoring threat. I guess Carolina tried to trade a 1st and a 3rd for him and MTL said "More!", so Carolina said, "No. Here is the 1st and 3rd. Thanks."

If one of our players signs an offer sheet, then he doesn't want to be here. GM Sheevyn would have to take the picks. Although... maybe he'd have to match to meet the cap floor.

It's a lot and more than he deserves, but I could easily see a scenario where they say, look, let's come together on accurate value in season on a LT deal, we'll give you this nice payday for this year and get you out

• Like (+1) 1

There is quite a discrepancy in the quality of player offer sheeted between the 2 teams.  If Carolina want to pay KK $6 million a year then that is their funeral.  I mean they let Nedalkovic go because they won’t pay him, let Hamilton go and then want to pay KK $6 million a year strictly to stick it to Montreal.  Very poor management but I will bet this came straight from Dundon and no one is talking him out of it.

Edited by Flashsabre

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

There is quite a discrepancy in the quality of player offer sheeted between the 2 teams.  If Carolina want to pay KK $6 million a year then that is their funeral.  I mean they let Nedalkovic go because they won’t pay him, let Hamilton go and then want to pay KK $6 million a year strictly to stick it to Montreal.  Very poor management but I will bet this came straight from Dundon and no one is talking him out of it.

Only for 1 year. I'm sure the goal is to negotiate a reasonable extension in season before the need for the qualifying offer comes in. If it gets to that point, Carolina probably walks, would be my guess. 

Their evaluation is probably that they are willing to risk the 1st and 3rd round pick to get the opportunity to have Kotkaniemi under that exclusive negotiating window. The sunk cost, should it not turn out, would be the picks, but I highly down a LT handcuffing deal. 

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Only for 1 year. I'm sure the goal is to negotiate a reasonable extension in season before the need for the qualifying offer comes in. If it gets to that point, Carolina probably walks, would be my guess. 

Their evaluation is probably that they are willing to risk the 1st and 3rd round pick to get the opportunity to have Kotkaniemi under that exclusive negotiating window. The sunk cost, should it not turn out, would be the picks, but I highly down a LT handcuffing deal. 

You are probably right but I still think they have had a brutal off-season with these moves.

On 8/29/2021 at 10:30 AM, Thorny said:

It's a lot and more than he deserves, but I could easily see a scenario where they say, look, let's come together on accurate value in season on a LT deal, we'll give you this nice payday for this year and get you out

I read somewhere last night that this is exactly what they are working on.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

"Identity Line"

Is this some new lingo about how teams are building their rosters?

It seems like it, although this is the first I've heard of it.  Seems dumb.  I'm guessing it's what we all call the third line, but I need a clear definition if I am going to talk this new language goodly.

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

"Identity Line"

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

It seems like it, although this is the first I've heard of it.  Seems dumb.  I'm guessing it's what we all call the third line, but I need a clear definition if I am going to talk this new language goodly.

It seems dumb because it is dumb.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

"Identity Line"

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

16 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It seems dumb because it is dumb.

The Sabres "identity line" is going to be whoever shows up to compete on any given night.  I suspect it will be a different line on some nights and Granato will reward that line with the ice time.  If they come to the rink and work hard and play hard it will help with accepting the losing that we might expect to see this season.

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

I hope it’s not something that catches on in a league wide sense.

Let's face it, it's going to be all over ESPN just like "odd man rush" and "donnybrook" were in the late 90s / early 2000s.

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Donnybrook was a pretty good hardcore band. 

If you were really into hardcore/punk music… well, we’ve probably seen a lot of the same bands. Well, if you were in the scene between 87-95. Known as the golden age of hardcore punk.