Around the NHL: 2020-2021

WildCard

On 8/20/2021 at 8:07 AM, apuszczalowski said:

I would think Quebec City has been waiting longer for a team, but Houston would atleast keep the team in the Western conference.

It would also produce an instant in-state rivalry.  The realignment of the Astros to the AL has resulted in a good rivalry with the Texas Rangers.

24 minutes ago, Digger said:

https://www.tsn.ca/tuukka-rask-boston-bruins-return-1.1685659

Rask planning on coming back to the Bruins by January.

18 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Banking on an Ullmark injury or something?

No I think he just decided he wanted to come back and play again after his surgery.  He wasn't very clear at the end of the season if he was coming back or retiring.

Good point on Ullmark's injury history.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, sabremike said:

BRING BACK THE WHALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe the Coyotes could relocate to Atlanta. Make the 3rd time the charm? Or fail again and move to Hartford for their second shot at the NHL. 🤷‍♂️

8 hours ago, Ducky said:

I can't see that aging well.

It’ll probably be a mediocre-to-poor contract by the final years, but the cap should also be significantly increased by then. For the next few years, it’s a bargain contract for one of the best centres in the league. Overall I think Philly did pretty well here. Built to win now. 

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

1 year 6.1 Million 

Fair play considering they took a run at signing Aho.  The $20 signing bonus is hilarious.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/hurricanes-tender-offer-sheet-canadiens-jesperi-kotkaniemi/

The one-year contract is worth $6.1 million and includes a $20 signing bonus, the Hurricanes said in a statement.

Kotkaniemi has signed the contract with the Hurricanes but the Canadiens have seven days to match. If the Canadiens decline to match, the Hurricanes will send their first-round pick and third-round pick in the 2022 NHL Draft back to Montreal.

"Jesperi Kotkaniemi accepted our offer. He wants to come to Carolina," said Hurricanes general manager Don Waddell in a statement. "He sees the core we've built here and he wants to be a part of that. We're proud, but there's still a waiting period. When you make an offer like that, we saw a vulnerable position. The offer, with the compensation and the core we have, we realized that it was the best chance we had to get the player."

Edited by Digger

If I’m the Habs there’s no ***** way I’m matching that offer. It’s funny and cute from the Hurricanes … but it’s also woefully stupid.

I’m not high on KK, at all.

This guy lays out the reasons pretty well:

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If I’m the Habs there’s no ***** way I’m matching that offer. It’s funny and cute from the Hurricanes … but it’s also woefully stupid.

I’m not high on KK, at all.

This guy lays out the reasons pretty well:

I absolutely agree with you but I have to say that I am enjoying the drama in another market other than Buffalo.  

He most likely won't get qualified next off season unless he has a break through season so he may end up a UFA after this season.

• Like (+1) 1

Is it true if the canadiens match they can’t trade KK for another year? Would be interesting if he was included in any eichel trade talks, he’d now be out if they match. 

I’m sure Money is the main reason KK signed off the OS, but would also be funny if he heard he was included in trade talks to buffalo and signed that offer sheet from Carolina as fast as he could  😂.

Certainly will be interesting to see if they match, I agree I don’t think it’s a no brainer.  Gotta love the pettiness from the canes

Goodness gracious me!

That's a lot of money for someone who hasn't really shown himself to be a scoring threat. I guess Carolina tried to trade a 1st and a 3rd for him and MTL said "More!", so Carolina said, "No. Here is the 1st and 3rd. Thanks."

1 minute ago, Digger said:

I guess that should give Adams some motivation to get our RFA's locked up to reasonable contracts.

If one of our players signs an offer sheet, then he doesn't want to be here. GM Sheevyn would have to take the picks. Although... maybe he'd have to match to meet the cap floor.

• Awesome! (+1) 1