Around the NHL: 2020-2021

WildCard

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Funny part about it is in the tweet from the City of Glendale they say they are focusing on 'larger, more impactful events and uses of the City owner arena'

What could be larger & more impactful uses for an Arena then an NHL hockey team being based out of it?

That seems like a nice slap in the face to the Coyotes organization.....

47 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

So correct me if I’m wrong…. The Coyotes will play this upcoming season at Gila River Arena. But after the season, they need to find another arena or and/or city.

Yikes!

It was a mistake putting them all the way out in Glendale.

They should've built an arena in Scottsdale, or even Tempe/Mesa area.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

Houston seems like it's been waiting for a relocation for some time now so I could see it ... I'd love to see a team in Milwaukee, honestly.

I thought it had been decided that it's better to move to a city without a basketball team?

14 hours ago, pi2000 said:

It was a mistake putting them all the way out in Glendale.

They should've built an arena in Scottsdale, or even Tempe/Mesa area.

I read somewhere that the current owner said he wanted a new arena in the Tempe area when he bought them in 2019

If he doesn't want to move them out of Arizona, its most likely they just go back to the arena in Phoenix that they played in before moving to Gila River

13 hours ago, Justin C said:

Kansas City is a city I would think jumps to the top of the list. Portland would bring in an instant Portland vs Seattle rivalry. Does Quebec have an arena ready to go?

Yes, the arena in Quebec which holds just under 18k is done and open, its currently been the home for one of the Junior teams.

The only reason I don't see them as being at the top of the list is it would mean re-alignment again right after they just finished balancing out the East/West by adding Seattle. An article yesterday list 4 options as Phoenix, Quebec City, Houston (4th largest city, has an arena an a potential owner looking for a team), and Hamilton which I don't see anymore because they mention Balsillie taking another shot at relocating the Coyotes there but I don't know if the "Blackberry Guy' has the money anymore to do something like this anymore.

8 hours ago, Hoss said:

Houston seems like it's been waiting for a relocation for some time now so I could see it ... I'd love to see a team in Milwaukee, honestly.

I would think Quebec City has been waiting longer for a team, but Houston would atleast keep the team in the Western conference.

If they did go to Quebec, I would hope the NHL moved to a division format similar to the NFL with 8 divisions of four:

Quebec, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa

Buffalo, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh 

NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey, Washington 

Carolina, Nashville, Florida, Tampa Bay

Columbus, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago 

Vegas, Colorado, St. Louis, Dallas 

Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle 

Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

This is a shocker. An arena telling a pro sports team, “No Thanks”.  I mean this has to be the end of them in Arizona. Les Nordiques?😁

An article on Yahoo! Sports mentioned Hamilton, Ontario as a possible new home.

You all know that we'll fight tooth and nail against that move!

On 8/13/2021 at 10:22 AM, darksabre said:

94c.jpg

He bears an uncanny resemblance with ice road trucker Alex Debogorski.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FogBat said:

An article on Yahoo! Sports mentioned Hamilton, Ontario as a possible new home.

You all know that we'll fight tooth and nail against that move!

That article was saying Balsillie could go after them and give it another try to move them to Hamilton like he tried years ago, but I don't know if he has the money anymore. That was during the heyday of Blackberry being one of the big smart phone manufacturers. They aren't what they used to be and I don't think he has all that spending cash anymore......

The Calgary Flames inked a pair of defencemen on Friday with new deals for Nikita Zadorov and Juuso Valimaki.

Zadorov agreed to a one-year, $3.75 million contract, while Valimaki re-upped for two years and $3.1 million.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

That article was saying Balsillie could go after them and give it another try to move them to Hamilton like he tried years ago, but I don't know if he has the money anymore. That was during the heyday of Blackberry being one of the big smart phone manufacturers. They aren't what they used to be and I don't think he has all that spending cash anymore......

IOW, one trick pony.

Let's hope it stays that way.

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Both Buffalo and Toronto would demand massive amounts of annual money in compensation so I don't see it.

I desperately need some hockey or at least some hockey news.  Not a team/arena situation, not rampant speculation about a holdout player, not a sexual assault investigation, but real, actual hockey news.

16 hours ago, Digger said:

The Calgary Flames inked a pair of defencemen on Friday with new deals for Nikita Zadorov and Juuso Valimaki.

Zadorov agreed to a one-year, $3.75 million contract, while Valimaki re-upped for two years and $3.1 million.

THANK YOU.

• Like (+1) 2

On 8/9/2021 at 5:08 PM, Eleven said:

Pens announcer Mike Lange retired today after a paltry 46 years.  Pansy.

He's a yinzer born in Cali. You can ask Arnold Slick for more info. And his craft aged much, much better than Rick's. Remarkable skill right up to the end.

On 8/13/2021 at 2:53 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Not to mention that there really isn't a tax advantage to him signing with the Panthers.  Sheesh!!

You will die on this hill. I will die in a nearby fracking pit.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 8/20/2021 at 11:19 AM, Justin C said:

If they did go to Quebec, I would hope the NHL moved to a division format similar to the NFL with 8 divisions of four:

Quebec, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa

Buffalo, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh 

NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey, Washington 

Carolina, Nashville, Florida, Tampa Bay

Columbus, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago 

Vegas, Colorado, St. Louis, Dallas 

Anaheim, Los Angeles, San Jose, Seattle 

Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Winnipeg 

Toronto and Buffalo in different divisions?

Vancouver and Seattle in different divisions?

No thank you.