Dreger: Sabres would like to keep Risto

Hoss

1 hour ago, SabresVet said:

If this pumping up of DG continues, should we expect a Herb Brooks circa 1980 like effect with the 2021-22 Sabres?  He should be an improvement on Krueger's bullheaded approach, but not the massive force-multiplier some are expecting.  Especially with less talent this coming season. 

If they don't deal Risto I'd attribute that to the TP effect of there being the GM in the sky.  Because if he's indifferent on being here, why would Buffalo keep Risto when Jack and Sam also want out?  I thought they only want players who want to be here.

Less talent? Meatballs had a mix of AHL guys and young developing players to work with last year. He should have more talent at his disposal this time around. The results will do the talking. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Less talent? Meatballs had a mix of AHL guys and young developing players to work with last year. He should have more talent at his disposal this time around. The results will do the talking. 

Hate to break it to you, but it's likely they'll have a lot of 'young developing players' featured prominently in 2021-22.  Those players you hope will improve, but that's a tall order in a very competitive division.

Rebuilding teams largely have to play youth and lower end talent, especially in the NHL where careers are said to be on the decline around 30.  I'm not assuming they'll have more talent next season, particularly when the trades will likely be for more youth and draft picks. 

• 2 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, inkman said:

Hmm…

The player who played every minute of those 8,000 on the worst ***** team in the league against the best opponents in the toughest situations was going to have the worst numbers in the league based on shot attempts?

Isn’t that kinda like being smug about how that the kid taking care three younger siblings in a household with two unemployed addicts for parents isn’t getting grades as good as your private school kid with the personal tutor?

It’s posts like this that gave analytics a bad name.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hmm…

The player who played every minute of those 8,000 on the worst ***** team in the league against the best opponents in the toughest situations was going to have the worst numbers in the league based on shot attempts?

Isn’t that kinda like being smug about how that the kid taking care three younger siblings in a household with two unemployed addicts for parents isn’t getting grades as good as your private school kid with the personal tutor?

It’s posts like this that gave analytics a bad name.

His deployment alone would not explain his numbers. 

Risto is a 4 and 2nd pairing defender. It's time to trade him away, he doesn't help the team. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

His deployment alone would not explain his numbers. 

Risto is a 4 and 2nd pairing defender. It's time to trade him away, he doesn't help the team. 

If he is here this year, it would be nice if he had a year where he was used as a 4th d-man, 2nd pairing defender.  His price tag is high for that deployment, obviously. Whether he would help the team in that role, I'm not sure.  Hard to know when he has not been used that way.

I won't be shocked if the Sabres don't move him.  I think he will be protected.  I think the Sabres will either:

1.) Give something to Seattle to take Miller; or

2.) Be perfectly fine with Seattle just taking whichever exposed player they take.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Ristolainen will never play hockey for Buffalo again by July 1 2022. Get him the ***** of the team b4 that. 

Not at all against trading him. Quite frankly not sure of his value. Just saying Borgen and Risto and what their value seems to be is not that clear in my opinion as many seem to be more certain of.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.