Dreger: Sabres would like to keep Risto

Hoss

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No I did and I also thought of how Granato is going to play a far more open up and free flowing style of hockey which probably won't help Risto's game but keep stumping for weighing down McCabe with Risto. 

McCabe-Ristolainen has been the Sabres best pairing, with the brief exception of Scandella-Jokiharju, regardless of coach since they've been playing together.

But sure, Granato, who's primary selling point is putting players in situations they can excel at rather than locking them into a set "system" is the one that will #### that up.  (We really need that :wacko: emoji back.  😉 )

Odds are 1 or both aren't back, so it's likely moot anyway.

Just now, Taro T said:

McCabe-Ristolainen has been the Sabres best pairing, with the brief exception of Scandella-Jokiharju, regardless of coach since they've been playing together.

But sure, Granato, who's primary selling point is putting players in situations they can excel at rather than locking them into a set "system" is the one that will #### that up.  (We really need that :wacko: emoji back.  😉 )

They were a good pairing for about 10-15 games under Krueger. They were a good pairing because Jake McCabe is good but again, keep stumping for Ristolainen. 

And yes, Risto needs a structured system because he doesn't anticipate the plays fast enough to work outside of one. He needs to know exactly where his 2 outlets are because if they aren't there.... rimming around the boards or some other hairbrained idea will be his go to. 

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Everyone is saying how good he is? Really?

I’m not experiencing that … at all. 

Some love the hire. Some hate the hire. But I think the vast majority of fans are taking a wait n see approach to how “good” of an NHL head coach he’ll be.  That, has been my experience reading forums and talking to Sabres fans.

OK, everybody that's happy with the hire &/or accepting the hire, ...

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This isn't the win you think it is but simply tells us how bad the Sabres have been the last 2 years. Risto wants out and is a UFA in 1 year, get him the ***** off the team. 

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They were a good pairing for about 10-15 games under Krueger. They were a good pairing because Jake McCabe is good but again, keep stumping for Ristolainen. 

And yes, Risto needs a structured system because he doesn't anticipate the plays fast enough to work outside of one. He needs to know exactly where his 2 outlets are because if they aren't there.... rimming around the boards or some other hairbrained idea will be his go to. 

They were a good pairing for longer than that under Krueger.  And, it doesn't really matter that it was McCabe that makes the pairing work.  McCabe is that pairing's Tallinder or McKee.  So what?  What should matter to you is whether the pairing works or not.  The results are what matters.

And that that pairing is a 2nd pairing, rather than a 1st, doesn't change it being a very good #2.  Nor does it change the fact that it's been their best pairing.  If Dahlin continues to grow, he and Borgen show signs of being able to be at least a good #2 as well, if not a 1.  Work the forwards around them properly and upgrade the goaltending and both can be good enough for the team to compete.

Find the partner for Jokiharju to make that pairing look like a 2 as well & they've got something.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

They were a good pairing for longer than that under Krueger.  And, it doesn't really matter that it was McCabe that makes the pairing work.  McCabe is that pairing's Tallinder or McKee.  So what?  What should matter to you is whether the pairing works or not.  The results are what matters.

And that that pairing is a 2nd pairing, rather than a 1st, doesn't change it being a very good #2.  Nor does it change the fact that it's been their best pairing.  If Dahlin continues to grow, he and Borgen show signs of being able to be at least a good #2 as well, if not a 1.  Work the forwards around them properly and upgrade the goaltending and both can be good enough for the team to compete.

Find the partner for Jokiharju to make that pairing look like a 2 as well & they've got something.

That's the thing. If McCabe is going to be counted on for a second pair role, we need to have another second pair LHD on the roster

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

That's the thing. If McCabe is going to be counted on for a second pair role, we need to have another second pair LHD on the roster

If McCabe comes back, they need to have a plan to fill his spot in October & November regardless.  If they don't really care about the results this season, and if the "big 3" are gone, they likely don't, then could see Samuelson or Miller flipping sides penciled in there.  

Maybe they bring Pilut back.

Would prefer they find a 4/5 in FA that can fill in until Jake is ready, but pretty sure my preferred offseason isn't even in Adams' contingency plans.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

If McCabe comes back, they need to have a plan to fill his spot in October & November regardless.  If they don't really care about the results this season, and if the "big 3" are gone, they likely don't, then could see Samuelson or Miller flipping sides penciled in there.  

Maybe they bring Pilut back.

Would prefer they find a 4/5 in FA that can fill in until Jake is ready, but pretty sure my preferred offseason isn't even in Adams' contingency plans.

Heard that.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Digger said:

Personally I just don't think they have been offered a decent trade value for him (in past years and so far in the off season) meaning the Sabres decide to keep him.  Worst case he should have value at the trade deadline since he's a UFA next year.

I know some of the fans want him gone regardless but what's a reasonable trade for him right now at the draft?

If he moves, he most likely moves in part of a package with Jack or Sam at the draft or moves after the dust settles with free agency.

His on ice value is a net negative.  He makes the team worse every time he steps on the ice.  I’d trade him for a dollar. 

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yea, keep McCabe, ditch Risto. 

I don’t get the animosity toward Risto.  He is a flawed player and has never made the strides defensively we and the team had hoped.  However he has positive attributes such as PP and offensively plus he is physical.   He can also be effective defensively with the right partner.  He is also a very hard worker who plays hard every shift and has always worked in the off-season to get better.  In my view he is a victim of this poorly run team.  We over played him, gave him crappy coaches and linemates and expected him to dominate as he got beat down season after season with overwhelming minutes against the best opponents in the league.  

He deserves a good opportunity elsewhere.  

He also really doesn’t fit our youth movement.  Dahlin, maybe Power, Joki, Bryson, Borgen, Samuelsson, Johnson and Laaksonen are the group going forward.  We need a couple of stay at home guys to bridge to when some of these guys fully develop.  Risto doesn’t fit that job title.  We also still have Miller if he isn't lost to expansion to fill Risto’s O role.  

Get what we can, save the $5 mill and move on. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

His on ice value is a net negative.  He makes the team worse every time he steps on the ice.  I’d trade him for a dollar. 

For a while there i thought it was just poor usage.  Tons of PK time, tons of time against other teams top lines.  But when they paired him with Bryson last year he just looked bad, no matter who he was playing against.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't know what you are getting with a McCabe Risto pairing under Granato. Didn't think of that did you? 

If this pumping up of DG continues, should we expect a Herb Brooks circa 1980 like effect with the 2021-22 Sabres?  He should be an improvement on Krueger's bullheaded approach, but not the massive force-multiplier some are expecting.  Especially with less talent this coming season. 

If they don't deal Risto I'd attribute that to the TP effect of there being the GM in the sky.  Because if he's indifferent on being here, why would Buffalo keep Risto when Jack and Sam also want out?  I thought they only want players who want to be here.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

This team will not have Staal, Hall, nor Hutton at an absolute minimum.  Eakin & Irwin aren't going to get regular usage either and it is very likely Reider & Sheahan don't get brought back as well.  Vegas will claim somebody too.  And it is up to McCabe and Ullmark as to whether they are Sabres in October.

That's 35% - 50% of the typical crew iced under the now fired coach gone from this year's squad.

How exactly is keeping Eichel, Reinhart, & Ristolainen keeping "everyone around?"

Keep the good & great players and upgrade the duds.  That's how teams improve TODAY rather than in 3 years. (Or 13 years, but who's counting? 😉 )

I get that.  I'm talking about those that have been here the longest.  Ristolainen has played 8 years of the current drought.  I'm ready to move on for his sanity and ours.  He's not part of the solution, he's part of the precipitate.

200.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.