Dreger: Sabres would like to keep Risto

Hoss

This is a day old but I hadn’t seen it posted anywhere. Dreger was discussing players that are available on the Sabres and mentioned the team hopes to keep Risto.

“Now, there are other pieces Buffalo would consider moving as well. You’re talking about Ristolainen. You’re talking about Sam Reinhart. I think they would prefer to keep Ristolainen unless the deal is too sweet to turn away from.”

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-chicago-blackhawks-edmonton-oilers-and-the-buffalo-sabres/2021/07/06/

How does this make you feel?

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

This is a day old but I hadn’t seen it posted anywhere. Dreger was discussing players that are available on the Sabres and mentioned the team hopes to keep Risto.

“Now, there are other pieces Buffalo would consider moving as well. You’re talking about Ristolainen. You’re talking about Sam Reinhart. I think they would prefer to keep Ristolainen unless the deal is too sweet to turn away from.”

https://nhlrumors.com/nhl-rumors-chicago-blackhawks-edmonton-oilers-and-the-buffalo-sabres/2021/07/06/

real housewives of orange county barf GIF

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I'm fine with it. In comparison to Jack and Sam if the Sabres decide to trade him at the next trade deadline his value should not decline very much. 

He's a second pairing forward who should be the 2B defenseman. Make him play a simple game and you will get more out of him. He's one of the few bangers on this non-banging team. In my opinion he gets unfairly scorned. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I hope this is just classic "feeding the insiders stuff", but I really hope they're not going to keep Risto around. At the very least he's gotta be just about sick of being here anyway. But they gotta pay Dahlin and other D men and Risto's salary doesn't fit. I'd rather keep Miller.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Personally I just don't think they have been offered a decent trade value for him (in past years and so far in the off season) meaning the Sabres decide to keep him.  Worst case he should have value at the trade deadline since he's a UFA next year.

I know some of the fans want him gone regardless but what's a reasonable trade for him right now at the draft?

If he moves, he most likely moves in part of a package with Jack or Sam at the draft or moves after the dust settles with free agency.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I hope this is just classic "feeding the insiders stuff", but I really hope they're not going to keep Risto around. At the very least he's gotta be just about sick of being here anyway. But they gotta pay Dahlin and other D men and Risto's salary doesn't fit. I'd rather keep Miller.

Now that we talked about it yesterday its tough to see it any other way 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Digger said:

Personally I just don't think they have been offered a decent trade value for him (in past years and so far in the off season) meaning the Sabres decide to keep him.  Worst case he should have value at the trade deadline since he's a UFA next year.

I know some of the fans want him gone regardless but what's a reasonable trade for him right now at the draft?

If he moves, he most likely moves in part of a package with Jack or Sam at the draft or moves after the dust settles with free agency.

I think there’s a decent chance they’re working hard to increase his value

Just now, Second Line Center said:

Smoke.  Screen.  Szn.

Translation:  "We would like to keep him because we like our D depth....we aren't drafting Power, despite what the owner says about him - if that's who you want we are taking any and all calls for the number 1 overall, Anaheim."  

I don’t think this has anything to do with the draft/Power

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think there’s a decent chance they’re working hard to increase his value

I don’t think this has anything to do with the draft/Power

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.  That's just who I think Anaheim would draft if we traded down with them. 

What was the draft and players involved where Darcy and another GM had names of who they were definitely drafting if there when their pick came when discussing a swap - or did the swap happen? 

That was the story out of one draft with him right or am I misremembering. 

Edited by Second Line Center

Just now, Second Line Center said:

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.  That's just who I think Anaheim would draft if we traded down with them. 

What was the draft and players involved where Darcy and another GM had names of who they were definitely drafting if there when their pick came?  That was the story out of one draft with him right or am I misremembering. 

To your first part: trades down, especially from one, are so massively rare.

To the second: I don’t know the story. I do remember Tim Murray trying his hardest to trade up for Dylan Larkin but one of the teams (Columbus?) he was speaking to had someone fall to them.

2 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

What was the draft and players involved where Darcy and another GM had names of who they were definitely drafting if there when their pick came when discussing a swap - or did the swap happen? 

That was the story out of one draft with him right or am I misremembering. 

That was the Tyler Myers pick.

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

That was the Tyler Myers pick.

Correct!  Dang I forgot that and I just Googled it.

Defenseman Tyler Myers was selected by the Buffalo Sabres 12th-overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. And here's a little side story to how that selection came to be.

The Los Angeles Kings had the 12th pick in the draft that year, the Sabres had the 13th. Both were looking for defensemen and the two best-rated defensemen on the board--Colten Teubert and Tyler Myers--were still there when it came to the Kings at No.12. Buffalo GM Darcy Regier proposed a trade to Kings GM Dean Lombardi as he and his scouting staff wanted Myers.

Lombardi had his choice in mind as well but in order for him to sign off on the trade so the Sabres wouldn't take his guy, each GM wrote the name of the player they wanted on a napkin at the draft table. If they wrote the same name, no deal. When they turned the napkins over, Regier wrote Myers, Lombardi wrote Teubert and the deal was done. Buffalo traded their pick, No.13 overall, and a 2009 3rd-round pick to Los Angeles to move up a spot and picked Myers.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Michael-Pachla/On-Myers-Antipin-Guhle-Lehner-and-Kane-Winnipeg-at-Buffalo-tonight/209/90202

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I am good with keeping Risto.

Yes, I have criticized him a LOT in these forums.  No, I don't think he is a good 1st paring D-man.  YES, if they could get a top 15 pick for him or a legit top prospect I would still trade him.

But I don't NEED him gone.  I think he could be a very good 2nd paring D-man (keep his minutes under 20 minutes per game.)  He then could be on your 2nd team PP (or at least fill in if needed) and he can Penalty kill.  You have to resign him for a few more years, but IF this was his role, I'd be ok with it.

• Like (+1) 8

1 hour ago, Second Line Center said:

Correct!  Dang I forgot that and I just Googled it.

Defenseman Tyler Myers was selected by the Buffalo Sabres 12th-overall in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft. And here's a little side story to how that selection came to be.

The Los Angeles Kings had the 12th pick in the draft that year, the Sabres had the 13th. Both were looking for defensemen and the two best-rated defensemen on the board--Colten Teubert and Tyler Myers--were still there when it came to the Kings at No.12. Buffalo GM Darcy Regier proposed a trade to Kings GM Dean Lombardi as he and his scouting staff wanted Myers.

Lombardi had his choice in mind as well but in order for him to sign off on the trade so the Sabres wouldn't take his guy, each GM wrote the name of the player they wanted on a napkin at the draft table. If they wrote the same name, no deal. When they turned the napkins over, Regier wrote Myers, Lombardi wrote Teubert and the deal was done. Buffalo traded their pick, No.13 overall, and a 2009 3rd-round pick to Los Angeles to move up a spot and picked Myers.

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Michael-Pachla/On-Myers-Antipin-Guhle-Lehner-and-Kane-Winnipeg-at-Buffalo-tonight/209/90202

Is it just me, or does that seem like an extremely poor piece of negotiating by Regier?  There was no way for the Sabres to benefit from that deal.  Either way, trading up or staying put, the Kings would get the player they preferred, and the Sabres would get the other guy.  The Sabres paid a trade up price for no reason.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.