Stanley Cup Final 2021

Norcal

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Makes me sick to my stomach these BS markets down south winning the cup as we suffer and haven't won anything in 40 years.  They don't deserve it. Yeah...maybe it's sour grapes but it is also the truth.

I want to shoot this mindset to the moon. We don’t deserve a cup more just because we own an ice scraper and our nipples are hard and dry five months out of the year.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Makes me sick to my stomach these BS markets down south winning the cup as we suffer and haven't won anything in 40 years.  They don't deserve it. Yeah...maybe it's sour grapes but it is also the truth.

We suffer cause we suck. Us sucking is due to our utter incompetence.

Would be way worse if we got shafted by the refs…. Again.

9 hours ago, SDS said:

It’s distressing how much better Tampa Bay is than Montreal and yet that only meant I one goal difference in the series clinching game. 

Goaltending.  Take out Price, put in Ullmark and its 4-0.   Take out Price, put in Hutton and its 8-0.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, they did. 

No f'n way was Kucherov not ready to play long before the playoffs started.

You saw him and how well he played first game of the playoffs and onwards. You going to tell me with a straight face that was a guy JUST coming back off a serious injury? No way. He was ready and in game shape. Impossible if he was JUST healthy then. 

Isn't getting into game shape, basically being able to play the game, part of the injury rehab process?  What good is he if he can't play more than 8 minutes a game?

Look at a pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery. The arm is healed many months before he is ready to perform in a game. He needs to be capable of playing well and not re-injuring himself.

7 hours ago, matter2003 said:

What have we done to deserve it that Tampa hasn't?

Their fans were pathetic last night. No other way to put it.

7 hours ago, Hoss said:

I want to shoot this mindset to the moon. We don’t deserve a cup more just because we own an ice scraper and our nipples are hard and dry five months out of the year.

A little Gold Bond and two bandaids will fix that.

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, they did. 

No f'n way was Kucherov not ready to play long before the playoffs started.

You saw him and how well he played first game of the playoffs and onwards. You going to tell me with a straight face that was a guy JUST coming back off a serious injury? No way. He was ready and in game shape. Impossible if he was JUST healthy then. 

They followed the rules.  All teams hold players out until they need them once they are on IR.  ALL TEAMS.  LTIR, IR, it doesn't matter.  Since you can't always assign players for "conditioning stints" the league lets the players take extra recovery time to get in better shape to return to play.

The rule sucks, there should be a salary cap in the playoffs, it's that simple.  This would fix the problem.  Change the rule, yes.  Did they cheat? Not at all.

You are greener than Kermit dude.  It's 100% not the truth.

And let's hope Tampa gets blown up this off-season.. because the Sabres need to play them a lot more next season.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Goaltending.  Take out Price, put in Ullmark and its 4-0.   Take out Price, put in Hutton and its 8-0.  

And Hockey is very much a game of bounces where luck factors in a ton throughout every game - they got outshot by a fair bit yesterday and yes the score was close, but it's why they play a 7 game series. 4 games to 1 isn't really that close at all. And if you saw the Habs players at the end, they REALLY looked utterly spent. Full credit on their effort, it was honestly impressive. Stood out even for NHL playoffs standards. 

- - - 

Kucherov really did cut a full heel promo on Habs fans last night loll

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

And Hockey is very much a game of bounces where luck factors in a ton throughout every game - they got outshot by a fair bit yesterday and yes the score was close, but it's why they play a 7 game series. 4 games to 1 isn't really that close at all. And if you saw the Habs players at the end, they REALLY looked utterly spent. Full credit on their effort, it was honestly impressive. Stood out even for NHL playoffs standards. 

- - - 

Kucherov really did cut a full heel promo on Habs fans last night loll

Yep real class from douche bag Kucherov...what he should have been doing was praising Montreal for all they accomplished. Totally agree Montreal was running on empty but have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of...hell we'd be happy just to maybe make the playoffs at some point before I die...   

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Yep real class from douche bag Kucherov...what he should have been doing was praising Montreal for all they accomplished. Totally agree Montreal was running on empty but have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of...hell we'd be happy just to maybe make the playoffs at some point before I die...   

I love when players are able to actually show a little personality, even though it's usually forbidden in hockey. What Montreal accomplished is impressive in the sporting context we are dealing in but their opponent doesn't need to "praise" them when celebrating victory - it's only sports, after all. He took a jab at the fans celebrating something, big deal. The horror!

Back in the day, I remember the networks would always show the locker room after the Cup win. Champagne flowing and spraying, players and coaches getting interviewed (and beer poured on them, haha) and just general mischief partying stuff. Now, they don't show any of it. Conn Smyth award then give the captain the Cup. We barely see anything after that. NBC just cuts it all off. I switched over to NHLNetwork and they had some extra stuff like player interviews on the ice, but nothing substantial. Anyway, I realize this is a small potatoes rant, but it used to be so much more in depth stuff with the winning team. I really miss that. You guys have any thoughts on this?

Lastly, nice to see the 1993 Canada Cup drought continues! USA USA USA!!

Edited by Hawerchuk

1 minute ago, sabrefanday1 said:

He's an ass.

Canadiens now 24 and 10 in Stanley Cup final.  He should shut the hell up.  And spare me with the 100+ year history versus 25 year history nonsense.  And while you are at  it spare me with the original 6 nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

That '77 Habs squad didn't have Laperriere and the Trembley was Mario, not JC. 

Yes, I was merely pointing out the legacy of great defenseman,  the topic was dynasty teams, not one season.  

Someone mentioned Robinson, Savard, and LaPointe.  A young Savard and LaPointe also played with Laperriere and JC Tremblay and they won cups.  Robinson came in about 72 or 73 and replaced JC Tremblay who went to the WHA.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I love when players are able to actually show a little personality, even though it's usually forbidden in hockey. What Montreal accomplished is impressive in the sporting context we are dealing in but their opponent doesn't need to "praise" them when celebrating victory - it's only sports, after all. He took a jab at the fans celebrating something, big deal. The horror!

I like it when they show personality that equates to class and sportsmanship.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I like it when the show personality that equates to class and sportsmanship.  

I'd rather have my Michael Jordans and Muhammad Alis and the characters who actually make sports exciting 

Hockey is simply the most conservative, pearl clutching (thanks @PASabreFan) sport known to man

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Thorny said:

I'm saying Kucherov does. 

Oh.   Hmmm.  I’m not sure about that at all. 

Can’t say I liked his hits on Sobotka and Dahlin but then again, he strikes me as a guy that will take liberties when he knows there is no response from either the Sabres or the league.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Oh.   Hmmm.  I’m not sure about that at all. 

Can’t say I liked his hits on Sobotka and Dahlin but then again, he strikes me as a guy that will take liberties when he knows there is no response from either the Sabres or the league.  

The context of the "class" discussion was the comments he made. Taking a rib at the fans for celebrating a win like they'd won the cup. It was akin to a wwe wrestler standing with a microphone and saying, "Boy, that local sports team sure doesn't play well, amirite?!". He was playing it up for the cameras - a harmless comment: to call into question his "class" because of it seems eye-rolly to me. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The context of the "class" discussion was the comments he made. Taking a rib at the fans for celebrating a win like they'd won the cup. It was akin to a wwe wrestler standing with a microphone and saying, "Boy, that local sports team sure doesn't play well, amirite?!". He was playing it up for the cameras - a harmless comment: to call into question his "class" because of it seems eye-rolly to me. 

Taking a rib at fans for celebrating a win is pretty much stupid and classless.  The fans pay his salary. It shows a lack of maturity and awareness.  Tipping his hat to them for their relentless support on the other hand would be classy.  

WWE wrestling is fake and not applicable.  Playing it up for the cameras at another teams expense is classless.  He won. That should be enough. 

we are not  going to agree.  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, I was merely pointing out the legacy of great defenseman,  the topic was dynasty teams, not one season.  

Someone mentioned Robinson, Savard, and LaPointe.  A young Savard and LaPointe also played with Laperriere and JC Tremblay and they won cups.  Robinson came in about 72 or 73 and replaced JC Tremblay who went to the WHA.  

That's cool.  But what had brought up the dynasties was another poster stating this year's Tampa squad might have been the best & deepest he's ever seen and pointing out there were several teams 30-50 years ago that were better and IMHO deeper with that '77 Cup winner as the best of them all.  Again, IMHO.

Thanks for the clarification.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.