Goaltending for 2021, looking at options

LGR4GM

This really has been in a couple of threads but low and behold Vogl wrote a piece on it today. I swear these guys read Sabrespace. Anyways I will link to the article but I do want to post 1 chart from it. Specifically it is a look at UFA goalies but if there is a trade you think should be mentioned feel free (Gibson for example). I think we can clearly see that Driedger out of Florida is a good option and also one of the younger options to consider, he might be my priority if Ullmark is leaving. 

https://theathletic.com/2667222/2021/06/23/which-ufa-goaltenders-could-the-buffalo-sabres-sign-this-upcoming-offseason/

UFA_Goalies_2021.thumb.PNG.4ba01871ad51361dbd08a405af6e088f.PNG

Worthy topic for sure.

At the top of my offseason list is goaltending. In an ideal world, having both Ullmark and Drieger heading into to next season is my preference.

I'm in the minority, but after this, I bring back almost the whole band including Eichel, Reinhart, Granato and see what we can do. 

I'm not ignoring other assets being added through free agency. But, they are likely analytically driven cheaper options up front and dumping low life skaters off the roster whenever possible (everyone knows who I mean).

Not a complicated plan, improve the goaltending so every night it has a quality starter, keep our talent, get rid of dead beats, sign cheaper productive options.

• Like (+1) 4

Drieger is interesting. He's ascending. But he's also only played 38 NHL games (35 in the last 2 seasons with a very defensively sound FLA squad). It is a very small sample size.

He's due for something like Ullmark's expiring bridge contract... $2.6M. So in the $2.5-$3M range. The question becomes: do you offer him that to be a 1B? Or do you think he's sound enough for a true median starter in the #3.8-$4.5M range, and then spend the $2.5M on someone else to be the 1B?

Ullmark, is the main priority.  Then other things.  I guess, I'm in the minority.  I'd rather sign someone as a one year stopgap otherwise, and develop and let UPL come up in his own way.  If we don't re-sign Ullmark, a one year only would be my approach.  This team, when not "if" we trade Eichel, will be terrible.  STOP THE CYCLE OF PATCHWORK GM B/S, that this franchise has been on for 11 years. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

5 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

Ullmark, is the main priority.  Then other things.  I guess, I'm in the minority.  I'd rather sign someone as a one year stopgap otherwise, and develop and let UPL come up in his own way.  If we don't re-sign Ullmark, a one year only would be my approach.  This team, when not "if" we trade Eichel, will be terrible.  STOP THE CYCLE OF PATCHWORK GM B/S, that this franchise has been on for 11 years. 

I don't believe Ullmark wants to be here.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

His press conference hardly inspired confidence he wanted back. 

Last year was a tough year for him. His father passed away and he couldn't attend the funeral and be with his family. So it was a tough grieving process period for him. On top of that he had some  injuries that were plaguing him. The Covid year was an extremely challenging period of time for him especially because his family stayed back in the home country. It was just an emotionally painful year for him so it shouldn't be surprising that he wasn't very exuberant at post game news conferences and being on a team that mightily struggled. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

1) I think Mrazek and Dreidger should be at the top of their list for short term goalie options.

Ideally I want them to sign 2 goalies that can compete and split the season unless one ascends. These would be a good twosome. One of them and Ullmark is another option but I am not paying Ullmark huge starter money. I just don't value him that high.

56 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

If there is a lot to the Sam Reinhart to Columbus rumors, the route I would like to see the Sabres go is acquire Elvis Merzilikins and make UPL the backup.

One way or another (not necessarily a Sam trade, but who knows, maybe a piece we get in an Eichel trade shipped sideways in a 3 way) I too would love to get Merzlikins but I would add one of the 3 above to pair with him and keep UPL in Rochester for one more full season. The following year he can compete for a spot and if he bumps somebody out so be it. Trade them or whatever. Too many goalies is a luxury not a problem. 

21 hours ago, steveoath said:

Is a trade for Elvis and signing of Driedger viable for a few seasons while UPL gets up to speed and Portillo transitions to pro?

If our plan is to dismantle the team, i'd have a hard time giving up assets for a placeholder goalie. Signing someone like Driedger, sure -- but not sure about a trade. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.