OT - NCAA & Players' Benefits Changing

WildCard

• WildCard changed the title to OT - NCAA & Players' Benefits
  • WildCard changed the title to OT - NCAA & Players' Benefits Changing
1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Usually they have other things attached such as college credit.

Yeah, but a lot of NCAA players have scholarships/room and board covered. Additionally, athletes have a higher chance of getting into good colleges when compared to peers with similar academic standing. 

I’m not saying college players shouldn’t be paid, btw, just playing the devil’s advocate. 

Also, the majority of college sports are losing money for their colleges, if the NFL was losing money, they wouldn’t be paying players for long

Kind of torn on this as a few players in less than a handful of sports make a ton of money for their schools & the NCAA and they DO deserve to get a piece of that.

But the vast majority of sports & students within their sports do not make money for those organizations but rather cost them money.  Take money out of the pie for the handful of athletes that do generate money & it'll likely come at the expense of those other sports.  And many more college athletes will lose out because of this.

On a slightly different note, it'll also be interesting to see what, if any, lawsuits end up arising out of Title IX and other such programs when the system(s) rising up out of the old one's ashes do arise, as really doubt nearly as many female athletes are in college sports that do earn money as there are male athletes.

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Rest In Pieces?

Just rest.  The NCAA has been stupid for a long time.  I'd rather more scholarships for future scientists and leaders and fewer for guys who can catch a ball but not do much else.  These are supposed to be educational institutions, and our taxes fund them.

There really is no need for a nationally-funded and state-funded training camp for football and basketball players.

Edited by Eleven
autocorrect went training for trading.

47 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Seems to be a belief that this ruling also paves a way for the IRS to be able to *tax* the benefits student athletes receive as they will now be considered *employees that are being compensated*.

That makes sense.  Income is subject to income tax.  I don’t see how they would tax things like scholarships or meal stipends though.

Was listening to the radio and it also sounds like it opens the doors for extra benefits.  All the top notch stuff that Alabama or Ohio State will be able to offer athletes will be much more than anything Buffalo or the MAC offers.  The playing field will be even more unlevel between the Power 5 and the rest of college sports.  Just in time for that 12 team playoff proposal to show up.  Coincidence?

20 hours ago, Curt said:

That makes sense.  Income is subject to income tax.  I don’t see how they would tax things like scholarships or meal stipends though.

If you are getting compensation for performing tasks then you are in an employee/employer relationship.

I think the concept of the NCAA as a minor league for sports is absolutely ridiculous. 

If there were 1200 kids at my high school... probably 200-300 were in no way, shape, or form university capable (college in the US).

But in the NCAA, every single kid that shows some prowess in basketball or football is somehow capable of going to university and actually passing their courses?!?!?!

It's good that baseball and hockey have legitimate junior and minor league systems for non-university "educatable" athletes.

Instead of the XFL and USFL football leagues, i think the real money for a 2nd pro football league would be to compete against the NCAA. Essentially a junior football league (say 23 and under) where you actually pay the kids. They would also be free to earn all the endorsement money they could get. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.