Inside Look into the Past Year of the Sabres Front Office

Brawndo

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Have you not noticed where he sits?

I have no idea where I saw it, but there was an extensive article that broke down the genesis of video scouting in Buffalo, with quotes from Darcy if I'm remembering it right (IIRIR).

That quote about the community is near-managerial incompetence. Someone should tell him Bethlehem Steel closed down 40-ish years ago.

I genuinely don't GaF if a player wants to be here or not. I just want them to win. That's the connection I will have with them.

Drury didn't want to be here. He was miserable. But he won, so we didn't have to hear PHam ask him that stupid *****in change of scenery question.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

But they didn't really go to the "video scouting" as their official methodology until ~2007.

And it was really controversial when they announced that was the plan moving forward.  

Even from 2007 we've made enormous advancements in storage, bandwidth, and video capture technology. If a team today went solely to video scouting it'd still be controversial, even if it's now possible.

36 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Even from 2007 we've made enormous advancements in storage, bandwidth, and video capture technology. If a team today went solely to video scouting it'd still be controversial, even if it's now possible.

The other thing is that with player tracking you can key in on a players shift much better today than in 2007. Further we are talking the beginnings of 720p to the possibility of 4k hdr in depending on what video equipment captured the video. 

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

I genuinely don't GaF if a player wants to be here or not. I just want them to win. That's the connection I will have with them.

Drury didn't want to be here. He was miserable. But he won, so we didn't have to hear PHam ask him that stupid *****in change of scenery question.

Just my opinion here, but I think players were different back then. Hockey wasn’t just a job to support their lifestyle. Today, there’s more entitlement. And this is happening more than just in professional sports. At sometime in the not to distant past, people would suck it up if they didn’t like work. Now, they just quit until they can find something more in line with the life they want to live. My point is forcing a player today is a recipe for disaster, much worse than 10-15 years ago. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.