Rumor: Tortorella friend wants to buy Sabres

PASabreFan

• PASabreFan changed the title to Rumor: Tortorella friend wants to buy Sabres
24 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

To be honest I'd rather them not completely sell the team. Instead just sell a portion of it and let hockey people run it.

I'd be terrified of them moving the team

OSP put a non movement clause in the contract when the team was sold to the Pegulas. 

And the NHL did not allow the Coyotes(yet) Panthers or Hurricanes to move why all of a sudden would Bettman allow the Sabres to move.

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

OSP put a non movement clause in the contract when the team was sold to the Pegulas. 

And the NHL did not allow the Coyotes(yet) Panthers or Hurricanes to move why all of a sudden would Bettman allow the Sabres to move.

Because the franchise is worth double anywhere else, triple in Quebec City or Metro Toronto.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Because the franchise is worth double anywhere else, triple in Quebec City or Metro Toronto.

Quebec City was passed over for expansion twice and the constant rumors of relocation of Carolina and Florida have never come to fruition. Why, because the population of the metropolitan of Quebec City is less than WNY by approximately 300,000 residents.

Couple that with Buffalo’s Favorite Quebec City Native explaining on the Instigators the reason QC would not get a team is the population size and lack of corporate sponsorship.

He also went onto explain both The Existing Montreal and Toronto Franchises are pretty powerful and do not want to share their territories with other NHL Franchises, even in Toronto which could support two to three. 

Jim Bastille was in perfect position to buy the franchise during the bankruptcy phase but was blocked by Bettman, partially because the Leafs felt a team in Hamilton was too close, allowing one in NewMarket, Ontario is probably not happening 

Golisano did place a no move clause in the sale of the Sabres. Here is a link to John Wawrow’s Article. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/news/story?id=6087856

Besides I do not believe 100% of the team is for sale. A portion up to 50% and day to day control of the team however maybe. 

• Like (+1) 2

I could certainly see the Pegula's looking to sell a portion of the team to someone a bit more knowledgeable on hockey. I doubt they'd sell the team outright though as it would ruin their whole One Buffalo idea and about 6 years of consolidating roles between the teams. I could however see some sort of arrangement where they sell 35% of the team to a like minded individual who really wants to make Buffalo hockey even more great. 

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

To be honest I'd rather them not completely sell the team. Instead just sell a portion of it and let hockey people run it.

I'd be terrified of them moving the team

We have hockey people? Kim Pegula “knows stuff”, remember?

Or have I been into the diesel can again?

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.