Jump to content

First Off-Season Roster move?


 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yup

Feel like after we trade eichel, we should all just drink a few beers together and reminisce about the last decade

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Eichel for Comtois, 3, Henrique,  2022 1st rounder

This trade is honestly in the ballpark of what we'll see. It's really sad.

  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do we trade Jack, Risto, or Reinhart first?  Do we make a deal to insure Seattle takes Miller?  Do we acquire or sign a goalie to utilize our expansion slot?  What happens first?

I think that Reinhart will be traded before Jack because it will be a less grand and multi-layered deal. If Jack is traded to Anaheim then Zegras has to be included in the package. If that doesn't happen then hold on to him or find another deal. I know I am outside the norm here but I believe that Risto will not be traded this offseason. My impression is that Granato likes him. And to his credit when a youngster was partnered with him (Bryson and Samuelsson) the coupling worked out reasonably well. He still can have value at the next trade deadline. 

With respect to working out a deal for Seattle taking any player we should just let them take whomever they want and not give up any chips to take someone else. Vegas built their roster by acquiring pre-expansion draft deals which in the end built up their team and diminished the teams they dealt with. Keep it simple. Lose who you are going to lose; draft Power with the first pick and put Granato behind the bench. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I think that Reinhart will be traded before Jack because it will be a less grand and multi-layered deal. If Jack is traded to Anaheim then Zegras has to be included in the package. If that doesn't happen then hold on to him or find another deal. I know I am outside the norm here but I believe that Risto will not be traded this offseason. My impression is that Granato likes him. And to his credit when a youngster was partnered with him (Bryson and Samuelsson) the coupling worked out reasonably well. He still can have value at the next trade deadline. 

With respect to working out a deal for Seattle taking any player we should just let them take whomever they want and not give up any chips to take someone else. Vegas built their roster by acquiring pre-expansion draft deals which in the end built up their team and diminished the teams they dealt with. Keep it simple. Lose who you are going to lose; draft Power with the first pick and put Granato behind the bench. 

Risto tanked Samuelsson's stats. I'll find the tweet...

https://twitter.com/Sabremetrix/status/1385248160910544896?s=19

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JohnC said:

I am not getting hung up with the analytics because the sample size is so small. 

That's fair. You're 100% right that part of the issue is small sample size. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Feel like after we trade eichel, we should all just drink a few beers together and reminisce about the last decade

Reminisce?  You, kind sir, have a streak of toughness bordering on masochism which I do not have the machismo for.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Feel like after we trade eichel, we should all just drink a few beers together and reminisce about the last decade

This trade is honestly in the ballpark of what we'll see. It's really sad.

I also believe this trade is really close. Maybe ensure that that 2022 1st is lottery-unprotected (unconditional). Maybe another toss-in prospect who projects more to AHL/4th liner. But it has the constituent parts. And I'm hoping if that's the offer, that GM Sheevyn says "Nope. Where's the Zegras/Drysdale?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think whatever happens will happen fairly quickly together and the moves will be before the draft. Eichel likely goes first as the teams (like LA) that don't get him might be inclined to go after Reinhart as a consolation prize and thus drive his value up even higher. That's how I'd do it if I was KA anyway. Risto goes last because I'm not even that concerned to trade him. He could be kept until deadline next season if you wanted to or the returns weren't that great. 

I don't think we give Seattle anything to take Miller. I think they'll take him anyway. And if they take Bjork or Thompson or even Borgen instead, I don't really care. I'd rather not lose Borgen, but it's not worth giving up extras, unless of course as an extra they'd like Okposo for free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think whatever happens will happen fairly quickly together and the moves will be before the draft. Eichel likely goes first as the teams (like LA) that don't get him might be inclined to go after Reinhart as a consolation prize and thus drive his value up even higher. That's how I'd do it if I was KA anyway. Risto goes last because I'm not even that concerned to trade him. He could be kept until deadline next season if you wanted to or the returns weren't that great. 

I don't think we give Seattle anything to take Miller. I think they'll take him anyway. And if they take Bjork or Thompson or even Borgen instead, I don't really care. I'd rather not lose Borgen, but it's not worth giving up extras, unless of course as an extra they'd like Okposo for free. 

That's why you trade Ristolainen before the expansion draft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Uhg I can't find it but Samuelsson was like 53% corsi without Risto and 46% with. I'm out so someone else can check nat stat trick. 

doesn't mean much of anything unless you factor in who we were playing against and the type of game it was. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

That's why you trade Ristolainen before the expansion draft. 

Not just to save a roster spot. Nobody we will lose is overly important. You max value on all these guys. Trade deadline is the best time to move D men. I'd rather we did it before the season, but if not it'll be okay in his case. Gives us depth as the kids develop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

doesn't mean much of anything unless you factor in who we were playing against and the type of game it was. 

Risto doesn't drive play in a consistently positive manner. We've got 8 years of data that show that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think we give Seattle anything to take Miller. I think they'll take him anyway. And if they take Bjork or Thompson or even Borgen instead, I don't really care. I'd rather not lose Borgen, but it's not worth giving up extras, unless of course as an extra they'd like Okposo for free. 

I think it'd be worth the Canadiens' 5th or our 6th to get Seattle to bite on Miller instead of Borgen/Bjork. Simply because they're NHLers and the 6th Seattle could use to stock their farm. Remember, they have to put together an entire AHL roster, and in a season or so, they'll partner with an ECHL team as well.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's why you trade Ristolainen before the expansion draft. 

Or this. Particularly if you pick up a D in a near-same-day Eichel move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Risto doesn't drive play in a consistently positive manner. We've got 8 years of data that show that. 

Not saying he does. His value is as a second pairing D man with some toughness and nastiness. On the right roster he can flourish still and be a solid performer for a real playoff team. His trade deadline value would be high. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

doesn't mean much of anything unless you factor in who we were playing against and the type of game it was. 

Not just to save a roster spot. Nobody we will lose is overly important. You max value on all these guys. Trade deadline is the best time to move D men. I'd rather we did it before the season, but if not it'll be okay in his case. Gives us depth as the kids develop. 

You're team building strategy gives me nightmares. 

Risto is worth more this summer then at the deadline. You just like him and want him around. 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Not saying he does. His value is as a second pairing D man with some toughness and nastiness. On the right roster he can flourish still and be a solid performer for a real playoff team. His trade deadline value would be high. 

No. No he can't. He's never going to flourish. He's a complimentary defender who can fill out your second pair. His value is highest in the summer since he's on an expiring contract. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

You're team building strategy gives me nightmares. 

Risto is worth more this summer then at the deadline. You just like him and want him around. 

No, you're misreading me. I want to trade Eichel, Reinhart AND Risto before the season starts. Ideally before the expansion draft. I'm just less concerned with trading Risto sooner than later. 

I just don't value Bjork and Thompson all that much. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, you're misreading me. I want to trade Eichel, Reinhart AND Risto before the season starts. Ideally before the expansion draft. I'm just less concerned with trading Risto sooner than later. 

I just don't value Bjork and Thompson all that much. 

I think our disagreement is valuing Borgen more. But that's fair, it's a crazy summer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No. No he can't. He's never going to flourish. He's a complimentary defender who can fill out your second pair. His value is highest in the summer since he's on an expiring contract. 

I think your definition of flourish must be different then mine. I said as a second pairing guy. 

If you can get a good pick or prospect for him this summer I'm making the deal. But if you can't, I'm just not feeling the need to give him away. He can be moved easily at the deadline that's all. 

Depends who we add of course. I am however, a little concerned about the physical side of this team. depends who we add. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think our disagreement is valuing Borgen more. But that's fair, it's a crazy summer. 

I only value Borgen more because we currently aren't deep at that position. We have a bunch of guys similar to Bjork and Thompson in terms of value. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And it looks like @Randall Flagg also called this shot as well, @Weave
Hope we’re all as good as calling this one as we were with the ROR deal.

As to the OP, Jack gets done first. He’s the highest priority, he’s the one Kevyn actually wants to trade, and his return dictates what’s next.

And his medical treatment is something all parties want underway as soon as possible.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Risto truly is a #4 then there is a limited market for him ahead of the ED.

4s don’t get protected.

That said, that might be moot if the Devils are poking around. Risto might be the 1st or 2nd guy on their blueline chart.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...