Report Sabres preparing for An Additional Top Ten Pick

Brawndo

49 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

lol, well Reinhart to Seattle would keep me from becoming a Kraken fan 🙂

Eh.  If I was leaning toward another team like the Kraken and they picked up Reino, I'd be more likely to jump onboard.  I've always liked Sam.  Solid player.  And I can say I really blame him if he wants no part of the Sabres after what they've done since he got here.

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

When the Sabres traded Vanek the Islanders had the choice of sending Buffalo their 2014 or 2015 First Round Pick. 

They held onto the 5th Overall Pick in the 2014 and send the Sabres their 2015 one. That pick was 16 spots worse in 2015 at 21st Overall.

The Sharks traded their 2019 and 2020 Firsts to Buffalo and Ottawa respectively. The pick that the Sabres acquired end up being 29th in 2019 and the Senators got Stutzle 3rd Overall in 2020.

Based on the fact that Reinhart and/or Eichel will probably actually improve their new teams, a guaranteed Top Ten Pick this year maybe more beneficial.

Right, and that all makes sense. Then again, look at when the Senators traded for Duchene. 

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Could you imagine: Reino to Seattle for number 2, they take Skinner in the expansion draft after he waives) they pick a couple of players from Seattle after the expansion draft and Skinner being gone opens the door for Brind’Amour to come and coach.🤪😜

Unless he waives ahead of the expansion draft, they can't take Skinner.  The Sabres are required to protect him.  The rest of it sounds pretty good.  Maybe you package Reino and Skinner (with Skinner waiving) and they take Okie too....

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Could you imagine: Reino to Seattle for number 2, they take Skinner in the expansion draft after he waives) they pick a couple of players from Seattle after the expansion draft and Skinner being gone opens the door for Brind’Amour to come and coach.🤪😜

As long as we aren't trading assets for Brind'Amour. 

Edited by The Jokeman

6 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Sure it is, that's the scouting departments main purpose... to evaluate and rank the prospects.

And the police's job is to investigate crime - doesn't mean they put the same level of resource across all crimes.

Having a second pick in your top ten changes your drafting strategy. BPA is a vague and nebulous term. Moreover, it changes your trade prospects

• Like (+1) 2

These idiots are going to move Eichel and/or Reinhart BEFORE acquiring a proven, NHL winning, HC, and seeing how that works out for a while.

I hate this organization! 

Only Terry Pegula would review our situation and conclude the problem is Eichel or Reinhart! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

what have either of those proven? Look at the final 4 teams. all 4 have goalies drafted in Round 1.  

Keep drafting them until you get it right.

i will admit that Skinner contract is ugly..Sabers would probably have to spend on some UFA's if Skinner, Eichel, Samson and Risto were gone just to get to the floor

What opportunity has either of them had? Luukkonen had a few games on awful Rochester and Buffalo teams. Portillo was a freshman.

Portillo will prove this year that he is the future.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

These idiots are going to move Eichel and/or Reinhart BEFORE acquiring a proven, NHL winning, HC, and seeing how that works out for a while.

Only Terry Pegula would review our situation and conclude the problem is Eichel or Reinhart! 

It could be that they want the trades done before the hire so that he answers questions about the job and doesn’t get bombarded with Jack, Samson and Risto talk. I’m sure they’ve had the talks with what they’re planning to do with the real candidates already 

22 minutes ago, OhMyDahlin said:

What opportunity has either of them had? Luukkonen had a few games on awful Rochester and Buffalo teams. Portillo was a freshman.

Portillo will prove this year that he is the future.

so you agree, both are unknowns.  why not draft a high end prospect to add to the prospect pool?

My kids are 14 and 15 years old. It's really sad that they never saw 1 good season of hockey and they always got so excited each October. With 4 years left until they go off to college, it looks like I will not experience 1 single season of excitement with them in the stands. THIS is the number one reason why I have become so bitter towards this team...

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

what have either of those proven? Look at the final 4 teams. all 4 have goalies drafted in Round 1.  

Keep drafting them until you get it right.

i will admit that Skinner contract is ugly..Sabers would probably have to spend on some UFA's if Skinner, Eichel, Samson and Risto were gone just to get to the floor

So? Washington won the cup without a 1st round goalie. So did St Louis. Pittsburgh split the net between Fluery and a non first rounder goalie for their win. 

You want to argue that we should draft Wallstedt, go for it but don't use this as some magical reason. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

It isn't that Reino/Eich are the problem as such. 

It's that Reino is a hot commodity and if he indicates he isn't going to sign a multiyear deal with the Sabres, he will never bring more in a trade than right now. 

It's that the Eich situation may be a risk management situation with respect to his injury.  You don't want to move the player you signed to be your stud for the next while, but if he's going to be battling injury to the point that he might not be able to fill that 1C role, you cut your losses and move him.

To stubbornly hang on to both when they won't be here, performing at a high level, two, three years from now, and they will be worth less in the future, you trade them now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

So? Washington won the cup without a 1st round goalie. So did St Louis. Pittsburgh split the net between Fluery and a non first rounder goalie for their win. 

You want to argue that we should draft Wallstedt, go for it but don't use this as some magical reason. 

yes, I wouldnt' draft a goalie just because but Wallstedt is expected to go in the top `10 or so. Think the Sabres, if they have a 2nd pick in the top 10 should go for it. 

Im definitely not going to pass on him because of I already have UPL and Portillo

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

yes, I wouldnt' draft a goalie just because but Wallstedt is expected to go in the top `10 or so. Think the Sabres, if they have a 2nd pick in the top 10 should go for it. 

Im definitely not going to pass on him because of I already have UPL and Portillo

As long as the argument isn't "well look at the cup finals right now!" I am not in disagreement. 

I wouldn't pass on Wallstedt just because Portillo and UPL are in the system. I agree he will be top 10 pick and by all accounts might be better than Knight or Askarov. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

As long as the argument isn't "well look at the cup finals right now!" I am not in disagreement. 

I wouldn't pass on Wallstedt just because Portillo and UPL are in the system. I agree he will be top 10 pick and by all accounts might be better than Knight or Askarov. 

Then we are in agreement 

Ideally if we have a 2nd Top 10 pick, let’s say #9. Whomever we take, that position goes on a run.

For instance if we draft Power, I’d hope to see The other top D to go soon after thus pushing a forward down to us at 9. The opposite if we were to take Beniers.

In a sense, the perfect scenario would have us drafting 1 and 7/8/9 because in that case you could theoretically take Beniers, then be practically assured one of the Top 4 Dmen anyway.

I really wouldn’t think about a goalie honestly due to their long wait times. If we ended up with 3 in the Top 15, perhaps then I’d think about grabbing the goalie but otherwise I’d stick to skaters in the 1st round.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

So, Seattle, Anaheim, New jersey, Columbus, Wings, Kings, Sharks, Vancouver, Ottawa?

Or can we narrow it to picks 6-10?  Would they have reported top 5 pick if it was negotiations with teams 2-5?

So Det, SJ, LA, Van and Ott.  With Det and Ott returning to our division, my guess is we are talking about picks 7-9.  Eichel to be reunited with buddy Kane or going to LA for a pile of picks and prospects.  SJ is desperate for a top line center but do they have the assets?

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.