Shopping Jack Eichel: Seattle

dudacek

Will they be interested?

In adding a franchise face and building block right off the bat? One would think so. Vegas has decisively shown that five years of suffering is hardly necessary under the current expansion process.

Do they have the pieces?

They have picks in the entry draft and the expansion draft and they have perhaps the most valuable asset in a flat cap post-pandemic world — cap space, buckets of it.

Would this work?

2OA and "pieces" for Eichel and Skinner

Essentially, Seattle gets their franchise cornerstone and pays the price of Skinner, a price a management team that likes Skinner can afford to pay given their cap flexibility. Buffalo gets a chance to set up their franchise in a way only Vancouver has done before, with two top-three picks in the same draft. And they create a blank slate of cap space they can hopefully weaponize over the summer with trades and signings, virtually turning them into an expansion franchise themselves, with an already-developed pipeline.

The "pieces" are an intriguing element. Basically it can't fully happen until after protected lists are set, but it means Buffalo will get an opportunity to not only dictate which of Buffalo Sabre Seattle will take, but also add a piece or two left unprotected in the expansion draft, which Seattle will flip to them as part of the Eichel deal.

Is there a deal to be made with the Kraken?

Edited by dudacek

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

I would rather not devalue Jack’s Return by adding Skinner to the deal. If players comparable to Tuch and Theodore available it’s more intriguing. 

Seattle’s 2022 1st would be necessary as well. 

I think you agree with me that it is more important for the Sabres to maximize the ceiling of the centrepiece asset coming in return than it is to maximize the number of pieces coming back.

20A might be the best centrepiece return on the table.

Also, without Eichel and Skinner, the Sabres will have nearly $53 million to spend this summer. That creates a rare opportunity, so I don't know that you aren't getting value by including Skinner.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes he is, but will Adams listen? 

So your theory is that Kevyn Adams brought in a guy he plans not to listen too? 

I mean I get it this team sucks but come on now. We are just inventing problems so we can bitch. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

But your asking Kevyn Adams to spend money wisely and your hoping good FAs want to come here.  Those are huge ifs with zero evidence that KA is like capable of making those decisions.

If your default is that Adams is too incompetent to take advantage of the tools he's given, there is no point discussing any scenario.

I'm not dismissing the idea of UFAs as long as we aren't overpaying for them, but I am more interested in buy-low, cap-clearing moves to support the core. Can we get this year's Nate Schmidt and Tyler Toffoli? Why not?

Edited by dudacek

Just now, LGR4GM said:

So your theory is that Kevyn Adams brought in a guy he plans not to listen too? 

I mean I get it this team sucks but come on now. We are just inventing problems so we can bitch. 

I think it was a great hire, but we need a healthy dose of skepticism to anything this team does until we have proof that they actually can make a good decision.  

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

If your default is that Adams is too incompetent to take advantage of the tools he's given, there is no point discussing any scenario.

I'm not dismissing the idea of UFAs, but I am more interested in buy-low, cap-clearing moves to support the core. Can we get this year's Nate Schmidt and Tyler Toffoli? Why not?

It’s a great theory, but our GM with our tiny scouting staff has zero chance of determining who those guys are.

KA frankly should have been fired after this past season.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I dont understand why they just dont put skinner back on jacks line where he hmgot his points. we get it, he is not the playmaker his salary commands, but shoving him on a line or sitting him makes 0 sense

If they trade them both, Seattle will put them together and look brilliant 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think it was a great hire, but we need a healthy dose of skepticism to anything this team does until we have proof that they actually can make a good decision.  

It’s weird how you have unbridled optimism for kids who have done nothing yet and unbridled pessimism for a management team who have done nothing yet.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

It’s weird how you have unbridled optimism for kids who have done nothing yet and unbridled pessimism for a management team who have done nothing yet.

That’s not true. KA brought in Hall, Staal, Eakin and Reider but didn’t upgrade the goaltending creating the worst team in Sabres history. These facts lead to pessimism 

The Kids, like R2, Mitts, Cozens and Bryson have been successful at every level and when given a real shot at the NHL blossomed.  Unlike KA these guys have earned my optimism.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s not true. KA brought in Hall, Staal, Eakin and Reider but didn’t upgrade the goaltending creating the worst team in Sabres history. These facts lead to pessimism 

The Kids, like R2, Mitts, Cozens and Bryson have been successful at every level and when given a real shot at the NHL blossomed.  Unlike KA these guys have earned my optimism.

I stand firm in my observation.

AKA you’re doing it again!

Edited by Weave

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

And if Hall scored 30 goals this past season… He would not be among your list of “negative things“ KA has done.

so don’t you think that maybe… Just maybe you’re blaming KA for Halls lack of production? And does it need to be reminded yet again… That Hall was the biggest… Yes the biggest UFA on the market when KA landed him. and sure you can be pessimistic and say well Hall only came the Buffalo because of Kruger. That very well may be true… Nevertheless KA is the GM… He is the one that targeted and landed him. He gets credit for that. Hall gets credit for being practically useless all season long. There was a big gaping hole at 2C. And even though I hate Staal with a passion, it was a reasonable, logical acquisition to get Staal to fill that hole. Could he have done better? Possibly. He also could’ve done a hell of a lot worse. The other points you made… I completely agree with. Especially the goaltending. KA dropped the ball to improve there.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Hall was the biggest… Yes the biggest UFA on the market when KA landed him.

I remember thinking it was potentially the piece that might make the difference in much the way way that the Stars acquiring Brett Hull helped put them over the top in 1999.

I may have overestimated....

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think you agree with me that it is more important for the Sabres to maximize the ceiling of the centrepiece asset coming in return than it is to maximize the number of pieces coming back.

20A might be the best centrepiece return on the table.

Also, without Eichel and Skinner, the Sabres will have nearly $53 million to spend this summer. That creates a rare opportunity, so I don't know that you aren't getting value by including Skinner.

The value of the cap space is infinitely smaller than Jack’s Trade Return in terms of value here though. I do not want to sacrifice a young roster player or prospect for cap space in this situation. 

The Sabres already have 32.6 Million in space.

Trading Jack, Sam and Risto opens another 21 Million, before any returns. 

Add Skinner to that and You have close to 62.6 Million in Cap Space. 

I’m not worried about cap space if they want to go big game hunting. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.