Shopping Jack Eichel: Anaheim

dudacek

Will they be interested?

Ryan Getzlaf, who has anchored the Ducks for 15 years, is done, and his replacement is not in the system. Bob Murray's end-of-season presser made it clear: the team can't score, it needs to add a top line forward, and it needs to give fans a reason to go to the arena. He also made it clear that the team has some decisions to make on what parts of its existing core should be or will be sticking around. They should be very interested.

Do they have the pieces?

They have cap space projected at $22 million. They have an existing core of veterans (Fowler, Manson, Lindholm, Gibson, Rakell, Henrique) that work as help now/cap balance elements and may be available. They have a very large number of attractive young pieces to sweeten the pot (Perreault, Colangelo, Tracey, Thrun, Lundestrom, Groulx, Comtois, Jones, Steel, Mahura, Larsson and Terry). And they have three blue-chip centrepiece assets (Zegras, Drysdale and 3OA). They have all the pieces and they can afford to move some.

Would this work?

Lindholm, Comtois, and 3OA for Eichel and Johnson

There are so many potential variations with the Ducks; once the Sabres give up trying to get two of the blue-chip pieces and the Ducks stop making offers that don't include any of them, it will come down to which blue-chip, and what gets added to that chip.

Comtois, abrasive, versatile and just 21, ticks a lot of boxes for the Sabres. He had 33 points last year. Whoever the Sabres take at 3OA should have core piece potential. Sabres fans might not think so, but that's close to market value for Eichel on its own. Lindholm is not a piece that gets discussed, but Murray talking about what parts of their core stick around raises the question. He is also a pending UFA. Lindholm-as-a-rental for Johnson works as close to market value as well, enough to balance the difference on the Eichel end. If he's not part of their future, it makes sense as a cap balance for Anaheim, and from a roster-building perspective. From the Sabres perspective, the thought of Lindholm buttressing Risto, and/or mentoring Dahlin is intriguing, even if it is only for one season. If they can't re-sign him, they should be able to flip him for a Johnson-level prospect or pick.

Is there a deal to be made with the Ducks?

Edited by dudacek

I'd want Zegras, a re-signed Lindholm, 1st in 2021 and another add like a 3rd in 2022.

Some will say way too much but Zegras and the picks are all unproven and Eichel and Lindholm are the only proven players.

Edited by Ducky
  • Like (+1) 2

I like Lindholm, but without any extension this really doesn't help us much. 

3OA will take another 2 to 3 years to get here and contribute and I want to compete immediately.

(Essentially playoffs or not, I want a team that is both entertaining and capable of making the playoffs if a few things go our way.) 

Three other things to consider with Anaheim

• Bob Murray has sung the praises of Owen Power
  • The Ducks are known to have expressed interest in Risto over the years.
  • The Insiders have reported Murray did not deal at the deadline because he was “keeping his powder dry” for big summer deal.
1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

If the Sabres are including Johnson they need To have Two of the Three Big Assets of Zegras, Drysdale and 3OA returning. 

While I can get on board on keeping Johnson off the table until they add another blue chip, I also think adding another blue chip means we won’t get Comtois.

And Comtois should not be underestimated, he is exactly the kind of player this franchise is thirsting for. He's their 4th most valuable asset, IMO.

If you are looking for a young player with a chance of growing into the type of player Marchand epitomizes, it’s Comtois. 

Edited by dudacek

There are like ten combos I’d be willing to do with Anaheim.

The one you suggested is probably reasonable if Lindholm has an extension signed (it’s a definite no if he doesn’t).

If you can get one of Zegras or Drysdale on the table then you can add some reasonable combo of third overall, Comtois, Josh Manson (if Zegras, not Drysdale, is involved), other early picks/high end prospects.

Both definite yes deals (that Anaheim probably wouldn’t do):
Zegras, Manson, 3rd for Eichel and Risto.

Drysdale, Comtois, 3rd for Eichel and Risto.

If you could get the first two pieces from those deals and another valuable piece like their second this year I’d be in.

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Three other things to consider with Anaheim

• Bob Murray has sung the praises of Owen Power
  • The Ducks are known to have expressed interest in Risto over the years.
  • The Insiders have reported Murray did not deal at the deadline because he was “keeping his powder dry” for big summer deal.

While I can get on board on keeping Johnson off the table until they add another blue chip, I also think adding another blue chip means we won’t get Comtois.

And Comtois should not be underestimated, he is exactly the kind of player this franchise is thirsting for. He's their 4th most valuable asset, IMO.

If you are looking for a young player with a chance of growing into the type of player Marchand epitomizes, it’s Comtois. 

As @steveoathproposed you can work out any trade for Jack if the return is Zegras and Comtois. A Jack plus Johnson for the two mentioned Anaheim youngsters appeals to me. @Thorny is right in insisting that Zegras be included in the exchange. When the Sabres were negotiating the ROR deal with the Blues they steadfastly refused to give up any of their top three prospects. We ended up with Tage. (I do like.)  The Sabres should have walked away from the table and waited for a better deal.  

• Like (+1) 1

We all know players like Eichel don’t get traded.

The closest comparables are Dubois, Staal, Richards, Carter, O’Reilly, Duchene, Johansen

Using their returns as rough models with the Ducks:

• Laine, Roslovic: Zegras, Comtois
  • Bowers, Girard, Kamenev, 1st, 2nd, 3rd: Lundestrom, Comtois, Colangelo, 3OA, 2nd, 3rd
  • Berglund, Sobotka, Thompson, 1st, 2nd: Henrique, Grant, Jones, 3OA, 2nd
  • Jones: ??? Drysdale+? Or Lindholm+?
  • Sutter, 1st, Doumoulin: Comtois, 3OA, Perreault 
  • Johnson, 1st: Comtois, 3OA
  • Voracek, 1st, 3rd: Comtois, 3OA, 3rd
  • Schenn, Simmonds, 2nd: Zegras, Comtois, 2nd

Assuming the Sabres aren’t being stupid, you would think the above deals should be the floors. That said, expecting a lot more than the above might unrealistic.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

If the Ducks can’t score add Olaf to the deal.

Jack, Risto and Olaf for all the prizes.😀

If we could somehow get Zegras AND Drysdale I’d be willing to give a lot (not Cozens, Quinn or Dahlin but guys like Olafsson, Borgen, Bryson, Samuelsson, Johnson, Johnson, the vaccine side effects that comes with the last two, whatever else within reason)

Who would people rather have, straight up, in an Eichel deal - Zegras, or Mark Scheifele?

Not saying those would be the deals, I'm just curious. If you could only have one of the two for him who would you take?

Edited by Thorny

On 6/12/2021 at 12:54 PM, Ducky said:

I'd want Zegras, a re-signed Lindholm, 1st in 2021 and another add like a 3rd in 2022.

Some will say way too much but Zegras and the picks are all unproven and Eichel and Lindholm are the only proven players.

Not too much IMO. It baffles me that teams like Anaheim, LA, and NYR aren't willing to part with Zegras, Byfield, and Lafreniere. Eichel is a top ten player in the league when healthy. All three of those prospects have yet to show *anything* at the NHL level. I suppose there is something to be said for the neck injury, but still.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, NAF said:

Not too much IMO. It baffles me that teams like Anaheim, LA, and NYR aren't willing to part with Zegras, Byfield, and Lafreniere. Eichel is a top ten player in the league when healthy. All three of those prospects have yet to show *anything* at the NHL level. I suppose there is something to be said for the neck injury, but still.

He’s no longer “healthy”. He’s from now on a player with a few injuries and one pretty serious that may require surgery at some point in the not too distant future. And that surgery could make Jack the player he was before the injury. Or …. Not even close. Massive risk at that price tag. Massive. Did I say massive? Can only hope some GM doesn’t view it as a massive risk and offers an impressive package for Eichel.

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Anaheim has always been a tight-budget team.  Trading their best young assets to take on a $50MM injury risk doesn't seem like something they would do.

Bob Murray is under pressure from Ownership to win, never underestimate a desperate GM 

Bob Murray is under pressure from Ownership to win, never underestimate a desperate GM 

This is fair and certainly possible.  I think though that the Ducks’ owner would need to approve a financial risk like this, and that he is likely mot to approve it.  

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

This is fair and certainly possible.  I think though that the Ducks’ owner would need to approve a financial risk like this, and that he is likely mot to approve it.  

They have Getzlaf and Backes coming off the books this summer to the tune of 12 Million. Even if Getzlaf re-signs in Anaheim it won’t be for 8.25 Million. Adam Henrique makes over 5 Million and although He can refuse a trade to the Sabres with His M NTC, the two teams can make an a deal that that Henrique will be waived (He was waived last season) and the Sabres will pick Him Up off waivers. 

Bob Murray has been a GM long enough that any meeting that results in an “ultimatum” being issued, ends with Him getting permission to go big game hunting.

Friedman on the 31 Thoughts Podcast after the NHL Trade Deadline mentioned that Murray didn’t make any moves too keep His Powder Dry for the Summer.

Marek asked Him, Eichel? His response was Yep. 

They have Getzlaf and Backes coming off the books this summer to the tune of 12 Million. Even if Getzlaf re-signs in Anaheim it won’t be for 8.25 Million. Adam Henrique makes over 5 Million and although He can refuse a trade to the Sabres with His M NTC, the two teams can make an a deal that that Henrique will be waived (He was waived last season) and the Sabres will pick Him Up off waivers. 

Bob Murray has been a GM long enough that any meeting that results in an “ultimatum” being issued, ends with Him getting permission to go big game hunting.

Friedman on the 31 Thoughts Podcast after the NHL Trade Deadline mentioned that Murray didn’t make any moves too keep His Powder Dry for the Summer.

Marek asked Him, Eichel? His response was Yep. 

I don’t think cap space is the issue though.  I think it’s whether that franchise would sign up for a $50MM risk.  I don’t think they will.

I’ll also note that there wasn’t as much info out there about Eichel’s injury situation at the trade deadline.  Murray may have had Eichel in mind at the deadline but could’ve changed his mind subsequently as further details emerged.  

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don’t think cap space is the issue though.  I think it’s whether that franchise would sign up for a $50MM risk.  I don’t think they will.

I’ll also note that there wasn’t as much info out there about Eichel’s injury situation at the trade deadline.  Murray may have had Eichel in mind at the deadline but could’ve changed his mind subsequently as further details emerged.  

The Ducks started last season with the least cap space in the league and did so while paying David Backes, Ryan Kesler and Patrick Eaves to sit at home and heal up on LTIR as their hockey careers come to a close. I'm skeptical that they're going to run away from a chance at a major piece because of money.

They paid David Backes and Corey Perry a combined $11.1M last season.

Edited by Hoss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.